Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > New Jersey
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 12-02-2013, 08:25 AM

2 posts, read 1,349 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by ChrisJersey View Post
I have got a letter saying my license will be suspended as i didn't attend a court date. Shockingly I was never informed about the court date. Calling the JC municipal court, found out that I was ticketed for driving an unregistered vehicle. I did renew the registration a bit late by a month. But I didnt get that ticket either.

The DMV had correct address and no one at the court tell me why I never got the intimation about the court date or the ticket.

can anyone tell me a good traffic attorney in Jersey City.
I know a firm which does traffic tickets, and you can contact them at New York Traffic Ticket Lawyers. Tell them Hershel sent you.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 12-02-2013, 02:35 PM

2,105 posts, read 6,662,922 times
I love the unsolicited lawyer recommendations for a $65 summons. I wonder if the lawyer will charge a bit more than that?

Maybe they missed the comment that the vehicle was registered late.

Old 12-16-2013, 11:40 AM

2 posts, read 1,349 times
Smile unsolicited lawyer

Quote:
Originally Posted by rscalzo View Post
I love the unsolicited lawyer recommendations for a $65 summons. I wonder if the lawyer will charge a bit more than that?

Maybe they missed the comment that the vehicle was registered late.
How much would your insurance go up with this $65 summons?
Perhaps an attorney would end up costing less in total?
I do know the free consultation is cheaper

Old 12-22-2013, 04:39 PM

16 posts, read 52,354 times
Thankfully I now got the court date before the date of license suspension.

The notice shows three violations ( parking unregistered vehicle, failure to return the plates and liability insurance). The first one is payable as fine ($54) and the others are not. I accept the first two violations as the registration renewal happened after the ticket issued date. From the information I gathered so far, the last one is because the DMV didn't see my insurance extension till the ticket date. My insurance was renewed without any gaps in between.

What should I expect to be asked in court ?
Apart from renewed registration, and insurance, are there any other documents that I need to carry ?
Also, any thoughts on what to expect out of this situation from fine, penalties perspective

As always, appreciate your advice.

Quote:
The warrant has been recalled. There will be no suspension. The suspension was only in relation to the Failure to Appear (FTA). That is no longer the case. Unregistered vehicle carried only a fine. There is no suspension related to that statute.

So relax wait for the new court date. If one doesn't come in a week or so, you can contact them with the summons number and they can access the system.

FTA do appear on driving records. They aren't a big deal and quite common.

Old 12-23-2013, 11:03 AM

3,426 posts, read 3,344,128 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by ChrisJersey View Post
Thanks ! I got a copy of the tickets from court now and they are issued for parking unregistered vehicle and not returning the plates.

Now i have posted a fee for bail and court clerk revoked the warrant and sent a note to scheduling department for a new court date. Looks like its unlikely to get the new date before license suspension. Is there anything that I / or any attorney can do to get a date sooner.

ALso, does anyone know if the warrant remains on my public records in anyway share or form ?

I am at the current address for the last three years and the DMV has sent registration renewal notice to the same address so DMV does have my latest address.
If you parked an unregistered vehicle you are lucky that your car wasn't towed and impounded. Just take your paperwork to the court, show the prosecutor your valid reg and MAYBE you can get the ticket amended to a lesser charge, if not dismissed.

Old 12-24-2013, 10:29 PM

5,133 posts, read 4,485,479 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by ItsRick24 View Post
Just take your paperwork to the court, show the prosecutor your valid reg and MAYBE you can get the ticket amended to a lesser charge, if not dismissed.
They usually drop it to a lesser charge if you show that you have corrected the problem.

Old 12-25-2013, 10:54 AM

2,105 posts, read 6,662,922 times
Quote:
What should I expect to be asked in court ?
This is such a minor statute that they aren't going to waste much time on it. They will read the violations and if you can discuss it beforehand with the Prosecutor who agrees to the plea, you really won't have to say much.

If you can prove the insurance coverage, then there is nothing to worry about. Bring all the documents, renewed registration and proof of insurance. Id bring not only a card but the declaration page as some Judges request them. I'd get the plates back if they aren't used and bring the receipt. Don't blink because they aren't going to spend more than a minute or two on these case.

As you can't prove the vehicle was registered on that date, they may very well accept a guilty on that and dismiss the other two infractions as you have the documents.

Believe me, this isn't a big deal and can be handled easily and quickly.

Old 01-01-2014, 12:22 PM

16 posts, read 52,354 times
rscalzo, Thanks for all your help !the information ! I attended the court date yesterday and the judge assigned a fine of $77 for one ticket and dismissed the other two.

There were about thirty other people attending the court session for registration tickets.

Quote:
This is such a minor statute that they aren't going to waste much time on it. They will read the violations and if you can discuss it beforehand with the Prosecutor who agrees to the plea, you really won't have to say much.

If you can prove the insurance coverage, then there is nothing to worry about. Bring all the documents, renewed registration and proof of insurance. Id bring not only a card but the declaration page as some Judges request them. I'd get the plates back if they aren't used and bring the receipt. Don't blink because they aren't going to spend more than a minute or two on these case.

As you can't prove the vehicle was registered on that date, they may very well accept a guilty on that and dismiss the other two infractions as you have the documents.

Believe me, this isn't a big deal and can be handled easily and quickly.

Last edited by ChrisJersey; 01-01-2014 at 01:04 PM..
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > New Jersey