Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > New Jersey
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 11-27-2013, 05:45 PM

2,499 posts, read 2,615,528 times

Advertisements

What size generator would you need to run 2.5 ton ac unit/

Can anyone discuss the concept of load shedding? I was told this would allow me to purchase a smaller generator than the 20k recommended to run my entire home.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 11-27-2013, 06:32 PM

11,292 posts, read 16,575,322 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by timneh5 View Post
2 to 3 days is enough time for pipes to freeze if your home is without heat; I have baseboard heat and those pipes will freeze. Most of the people I know lost power for two weeks, including me. I'm looking into solar-powered generators, but haven't found anything strong enough to keep the heat running.
While that is true, many of those who did get house generators did so because of the effect of Hurricane Sandy and by the time Dec rolls around the hurricane season is well over.

If the potential for frozen pipes is that strong, then the house should be built with a house generator as part of the sale.

Old 11-27-2013, 06:53 PM

1,787 posts, read 5,727,706 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by camaro69 View Post
While that is true, many of those who did get house generators did so because of the effect of Hurricane Sandy and by the time Dec rolls around the hurricane season is well over.

If the potential for frozen pipes is that strong, then the house should be built with a house generator as part of the sale.
That's true. Hurricane Sandy made a lot of people get generators. A lot of 1950's (and earlier) shore bungalow houses weren't built with heat at all, since they were shut down during the winter months. As people moved in those houses and used them as primary homes, heat was added later. That's what happened to the house I have; baseboard was added years later.

Old 11-27-2013, 07:27 PM

1,787 posts, read 5,727,706 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by HalfFull View Post
Yes, and threads often expand (for the benefit of other readers) to include overall pros/cons of whatever is being discussed (just as your first post gave no info about installers but went into an interesting tangent about solar options). There are some people for whom a automatic back-up system makes sense (especially where loss of power could be an immediate medical concern), but most would be better served with cheaper alternatives.
My first post gave no info about installers because it was in response to someone other than the OP. How is telling the OP wasting his money on a home generator helpful, when you don't know what his needs are? I just feel bad for the OP. Why can't the pros and cons be discussed without someone deciding if a certain generator is a waste of money? Like you said, an automatic backup system makes sense for some and not for others. I know someone that has a well and had no toilet for two weeks after Sandy...how much is that worth?

Old 11-27-2013, 10:05 PM

2 posts, read 3,316 times
Default Wow!

This thread really took off in different directions.

We thought about a portable system but a) the gas issue b) setting up the system is pretty easy...but only if you have young individuals able to set up the system on their own c) if you are out and the power goes out...the system serves little purpose/value d) a household member was told that their sleep issues may require a machine to avoid any risks.

We have about 2,400 sq ft and we had 2 different estimates both come up with about the same size system (14) So I think that would be an accurate size.

Old 11-28-2013, 06:47 AM

16,849 posts, read 10,483,795 times
I have been thinking about getting a home generator. They are very expensive, but it would be nice to have some basic electricity if I lose power for an extended period of time. My biggest concerns are enough power to run the freezer/fridge and well pump - two things that take a lot of power. I'm not sure how much I would need for this, but I think it might be worth it in the long run. It's on my list of things to buy if I fall into some money somehow.

Old 11-28-2013, 06:49 AM

16,849 posts, read 10,483,795 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by nybbler View Post
4-5KW is definitely not sufficient for central heat, especially heat pump.
Do you know how much it would take to run a well/septic pump and fridge? Those would be my two biggest concerns.

Old 11-28-2013, 07:00 AM
PDD

8,773 posts, read 18,302,576 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by MJJersey View Post
Do you know how much it would take to run a well/septic pump and fridge? Those would be my two biggest concerns.
That is exactly what I ran with my backup generator that was 3.5 KW but that was because I already had the generator when I decided to use it for the house.
I would go with a 4-5 KW if I were buying new.

Before I retired, installing home and industrial Generators were part of my business.

Good info here.
How to Calculate Generator Power Needs | eHow

Old 11-28-2013, 07:02 AM

3,377 posts, read 14,577,233 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by tom1944 View Post
What size generator would you need to run 2.5 ton ac unit/

Can anyone discuss the concept of load shedding? I was told this would allow me to purchase a smaller generator than the 20k recommended to run my entire home.
Load shedding either by an external module or built into a smart switch is a circuit that prevents an overload condition on a generator. For example: the 20KW Generac generator that comes with a smart switch and has two load shedding circuits built in. In the case of the 20kw, if you had 2 appliances connected through the load shed circuits and you loose power the generator automatically starts, the load shedding circuits are designed to not let the appliances start initially. Once the generator is running the circuit will bring your appliances online one at a time. Once the first unit starts and is stable the switch will bring the second unit online (providing there is ample power). If there is not enough power the circuit has a time delay and it will attempt to bring it online again after that time delay is satisfied. If for example your generator is running and you have your a.c. on and the draw for whatever reason becomes too large for the generator it will automatically shut down your a.c. It will follow the start procedure again after the time delay and allow the appliance to come back online as long as the generator is producing enough power and is stable. One issue you may experience if you do buy a smaller generator and attempt to connect an a.c. unit through the load shedding circuit is the possibility of short cycling the compressor which is not good.

Old 11-28-2013, 09:36 AM

31,771 posts, read 40,480,002 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by AnesthesiaMD View Post
My electricity just went out while I was reading this. I was thinking about what a waste of money a home generator is. How bizarre is that?
its funny when people try to tell others what is and isn't a waste of money. what if they have plenty of money? a standby generator with 17kw power may be overkill, but if im loaded then who cares if I have tons of power? I know that when the power went out for sandy and Irene; people with standbys were very happy. so I would say that someone shouldn't break the bank but if you have plenty of money then go for it.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > New Jersey