Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > New Jersey
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 11-28-2007, 07:54 AM

83 posts, read 189,739 times

Advertisements

About that internet.....I'm thinking as soon someone figured out how to hook these things to a phone line, the development of the internet was a foregone conclusion regardless of anything anyone in government did or didn't do.

Since we're on the subject, what's up with all these office employers and employees who are clogging up all the damn roads every day, when they could be telecommuting from home? Isn't that what we built all this crap for? Fewer cars on the road, fewer offices to be built, heat and cool, less dependence on foreign oil, fewer roads to build and maintain. Less grief and hassle all the way around for the lucky segment of the population who really don't need to show up at a specific location to get something done. If you take away all their printers, we might even have a shot at that paperless office everybody was dreaming about.

Maybe somebody should open some windows in those skyscrapers and let some of the stupid out?

Quote:
Originally Posted by apvbguy View Post
Global warming is real, how much we, the human race, can alter that reality is the real question

you do know that in addition to being an expert on climatic changes Al Gore invented the internet.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 11-28-2007, 08:16 AM

Default A degree of generalization

It would be nice to know which bug and which bird we're talking about
here.
As far as how we determine what the heck the temperature is
doing, you might check the location of some of those thermometers they're using to come up with the temperature data to begin with.
There's your bigger problem.

Quote:
Originally Posted by jy_2007 View Post
To all the folks saying "ah one degree - big deal"-
you are misinterpreting the statistics. What this means is, the average overall temperature has gone up by 1 degree, not that every day throughout the year has gone up by one degree. you may have more very hot days in the summer than you normally would, which may lead to droughts, etc. Or you have unseasonably warm days in February and march that throw off nature's normal cycle. Picture this - a particular species of bird returning from southern migration during the spring has evolved to feed on a particular species of insect, which is usually in it's larval stage during this time. However, since there were so many warm days in march, the insect eggs hatched early, and the larvae have since fully grown. What do these birds feed on now? Most of them die of starvation this year. What about the plants that rely on these birds to pollinate them? And the herbivorous animals that feed on those plants?
See? It's a much bigger problem than "one degree".

Old 11-28-2007, 09:01 AM

2,736 posts, read 9,670,303 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by nunoco View Post
Here's my reply:
NOVA Online | Warnings from the Ice | Stories in the Ice
And...
So by your standard, photography doesn't exist (since it's based on "chemical clues" of a given pattern of reflected light, and isn't actually the thing itself that you saw), science doesn't exist, anything you can't see or touch doesn't exist. And actually, nothing you see on this forum exists, either, since it's a bunch of pixels you have to "interpret."
I guess that's a legitimate lifestyle choice. Good luck with it.
No, thats philosophy.

I never said "it doesn't exist", I said we base things on what we know - but we don't know everything. Which is science. So.... there ya go. Have fun, keep in touch with yourself.

Old 11-28-2007, 10:59 AM

Default Fat Catulence

Public perception is interesting. To some it's a science. The Nazis actually told the German people that if they didn't fight the forces of oppression for a free Germany, the "oppressors" would castrate them. Repeat the lie often enough and the people will come to believe it. Don't you know those ole boys would have had a ball with television?

WWI : Fight to prevent Europe from being united under German domination.
WWII: Fight to prevent Europe from being united under German domination
Current reality: Europe united and dominated by Germany

Persistant rascals, aren't they?

Maybe we should check out how much all this warring around contributes
to glow-ball warming.

Quote:
Originally Posted by apvbguy View Post
true, but our activities are only a part of a larger equation, pig flatulence is a big concern too but al gore isn't out there trying to stop pig farming!
and how much disruption in our lives is really needed to cause a change, I have heard that if we all stopped using fossil fuels the temps might be lower by less than .05 degree, is all the hysteria from the enviro/leftists really about such an minute amount of change?

Old 11-28-2007, 11:16 AM

857 posts, read 2,002,375 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Woodsy1 View Post
It would be nice to know which bug and which bird we're talking about
here.
As far as how we determine what the heck the temperature is
doing, you might check the location of some of those thermometers they're using to come up with the temperature data to begin with.
There's your bigger problem.

that was a hypothetical situation, but since you asked:
Early Warning Signs of Global Warming: Spring Comes Earlier

this article also touches on the earlier melting of polar ice, which has lead to polar bears drowning. This is a widely documented occurrence.

I think you are in denial my friend...

Old 11-28-2007, 04:34 PM

5,818 posts, read 12,625,200 times
I really find it amazing that with all the documentation out there that people think global warming is a farce. A 5 year old kid could see that global warming is real.

Old 11-28-2007, 05:00 PM

717 posts, read 1,149,520 times
I think some of you "non-believers of Global Warming" are missing out here. This could really play out to be a very profitable situation if we play our cards right. But we should change "Global Warming" to "Climate Change", just in case the global climate changes direction on us.

We should all start trumpeting Al Gore's approach: "Global Warming, Global Change, .... by the way, you can buy carbon credits to offset your footprint. I happen to know of a company that sells carbon credits..... "
WorldNetDaily: Gore's 'carbon offsets' paid to firm he owns

Seriously, though, here are a couple of interesting articles:

Writer Orson Scott Card:
Welcome to Rhinotimes.com Greensboro=

And another from an interivew of MIT scientist Richard Lindzen:
Global Warming as a Religion (broken link)

Old 11-28-2007, 06:50 PM

2,689 posts, read 3,965,745 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by JERSEY MAN View Post
I really find it amazing that with all the documentation out there that people think global warming is a farce. A 5 year old kid could see that global warming is real.
I don't think anyone said it isn't real, the issue is the hysteria being attached to it

Old 11-28-2007, 09:34 PM

45 posts, read 181,854 times
Default It is just a bunch of political bull

Some people will believe anything that someone on tv or with a degree will tell them!!!!
I just wonder why cyclical change is never mentioned when the global warming hypothesis is always brought about.
Some people seem to forget that we once went through an ice age. And than the ice melted! These are changes that our planet has gone through before and will go through again!!!

It is just nature and there is nothing we can do about, so why all the hype??

Also there is the fact that our planet is a revolveing orb. We can't expect that the planet will stay in the same position and continue the same rotation forever!!! IT is just an orb in space, and as the planet shifts so will the temp in different areas of the planet. Some areas will get hotter while others cool down!! And as far as the temp affecting certain species well that is pretty much a given. Dinosaurs once roamed the earth afterall, and we don't see them any more. Things become extinct, and new species come about. adaptation.

To me it is all just a fact of life. We need to stop obsessing over things that are beyond our control!!!!

Old 11-28-2007, 09:57 PM

30 posts, read 114,025 times
well mb everyone pitch in we can slow it down but this should of been happening ten years ago. mb the goverments brains were focused about helpin the environment instead of money. money wont bring the earth back to its beauty. and makina a newer model of a car wont help either. whats the point of a new model? aslightlt diffrent body, a extra gadget? its something expensive that makes more pollution and eventually will bebroken into or dented cause of an accident. how about they get rid of all the old models and make way for hybrids.or stop making cars for a few years.stop fishing for a few years. it would help. people need to stop being on cloud 9 and think everything is all good. stop and smell the flowers while they still here.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > New Jersey