Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > New Jersey
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 12-02-2013, 10:22 AM

1 posts, read 1,996 times

Advertisements

Does anyone know of a good town to live in that's easily commutable by train to Manhattan and at most 45 minutes away from Rockleigh? I'm coming to the area with my girlfriend and we're looking to rent an apartment.

Where are you coming from? I'll be moving from Rockland county and she'll be coming from the Albany area.
Why are you moving? We both will be moving for work.
Where will you be working? If NYC, what part of NYC? I will be working in Rockleigh. My girlfriend will be working most likely in Midtown or lower Manhattan.

Will you buy or rent? We'll be looking to rent. It'll most likely an apartment due to our budget.
What is your budget? $1500-$1600/month.
What kind of place are you looking for? We're mostly looking for a place that's commutable to Manhattan by train and reasonably close to Rockleigh by car. We'd like a 2-bedroom apartment that has in-building laundry and allows a cat. Since I'll be driving, easy parking would also be required. Otherwise there aren't really any other requirements apart from the neighborhood being reasonably safe.

I'm not from this area and I haven't spent any time here, so I don't know if what I'm looking for is even possible. I came from an area where a 3-bedroom apartment was $1000/month (including all utilities), so let me know if I'm way off on my budget or commute expectations. Thanks in advance!
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 12-02-2013, 08:27 PM

3,610 posts, read 3,856,355 times
$1500-$1600 for a decent two bedroom is doable but will take some searching, compromising, and a bit of luck.

Here are some solid options - although they might require stretching the budget slightly.

Fort Lee - 20-25 minutes commute for you up highways that almost never jam up doing a reverse commute, commute for her across the GWB by bus then the A express downtown.

Tarrytown - ~20 minute commute for you, however it comes with a $5 toll and the risk of traffic jams across the Tappan Zee (nothing like the crossings directly into the city, but not completely trivial either). For her this would enable a commute on the Metro North, which is a better train system than the ones in NJ IMO.

There are some nice towns surrounding both as well so no need to feel constricted by town borders at either -- the basic take-away I guess is IMO you should be looking either near the GWB or near the Tappan Zee with access to Metro North.

If you don't mind extending that commute out closer to the 45 minute max you stated that opens up a ton of other options like maybe even living in the city in say Riverdale in the Bronx and doing a reverse commute, deeper parts of Westchester county like White Plains, areas south of Fort Lee in NJ (where prices would drop), etc.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > New Jersey