Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > New Jersey
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 12-04-2013, 07:23 PM

3 posts, read 9,176 times

Advertisements

I moved to Maywood about 3 years ago to start a family being that it was close to my husband's job and a little more affordable and reasonable than other bergen county towns. What we didn't expect is how much we would love Maywood and how underestimated it is as a Bergen County Town

What we love:
1. New urbanist feel - friendly with the neighbors and the kids still play out on the front yards. Small plots.
2. Extremely walkable- In five blocks, I can walk to the main street which has a maywood market, bakery, bars, shops, and just your typical small town america downtown. In two blocks, I can walk to Bergen Town Center which includes Whole Foods, Target, and some outlet stores. In one block there is the Memorial Park which has a small bike path, playground, baseball fields, basketball courts - great for the kids.
3. Small town feel. The community is only a few miles and the community is super friendly and down to earth. They have two festivals, 5k runs, tree lighting, etc.

The friends that I have that live in other bergen county towns always look away from living in Maywood because the Maywood kids go to hackensack high school which in the past generations has had a bad reputation. The high school is now ranked as a great high school and being that is a big regional high school it has many opportunities for electives. There is nothing wrong with the high school as long as you are OK with diversity
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 12-05-2013, 06:27 PM

777 posts, read 2,380,735 times
My aunt recently moved to Maywood and likes it.

Just wondering though what resources are you citing as Hackensack High School being ranked as a great school? Do you have any links to this ranking? Thanks!

I have only seen the vocational school being regarded as a great school.

Old 12-06-2013, 12:05 PM

334 posts, read 716,501 times
I wondered the same thing. Hackensack HS got a D rating on NJ.com.

Old 12-07-2013, 04:22 AM

1,646 posts, read 2,781,043 times
There are lots of towns south of Maywood that are great to live in, raise a family and affordable. Some underrated towns that come to mind that I would also have no problem living in:

Rochelle Park, Hasbrouck Heights, Wood-Ridge, Carlstadt, East Rutherford, Rutherford, Lyndhurst, North Arlington to go right down the line of Route 17 - all of those towns have decent taxes, schools, services and are extremely safe neighborhoods. Also, Wallington.

Old 12-09-2013, 12:57 PM

155 posts, read 556,291 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by MaywoodFamily View Post
I moved to Maywood about 3 years ago to start a family being that it was close to my husband's job and a little more affordable and reasonable than other bergen county towns. What we didn't expect is how much we would love Maywood and how underestimated it is as a Bergen County Town

What we love:
1. New urbanist feel - friendly with the neighbors and the kids still play out on the front yards. Small plots.
2. Extremely walkable- In five blocks, I can walk to the main street which has a maywood market, bakery, bars, shops, and just your typical small town america downtown. In two blocks, I can walk to Bergen Town Center which includes Whole Foods, Target, and some outlet stores. In one block there is the Memorial Park which has a small bike path, playground, baseball fields, basketball courts - great for the kids.
3. Small town feel. The community is only a few miles and the community is super friendly and down to earth. They have two festivals, 5k runs, tree lighting, etc.

The friends that I have that live in other bergen county towns always look away from living in Maywood because the Maywood kids go to hackensack high school which in the past generations has had a bad reputation. The high school is now ranked as a great high school and being that is a big regional high school it has many opportunities for electives. There is nothing wrong with the high school as long as you are OK with diversity
good to know about maywood as we are also going to move in another 2 months to that area.

I think hackensack school has the ratting as 3 in GreatSchools.org.
Link to that school ratting Hackensack High School - Hackensack, New Jersey - NJ - School overview

But the bergen Academies is having the rating as 10 as below
Bergen Academies - Hackensack, New Jersey - NJ - School overview

my son is in kindergarden and nothing to think about the high school as of now.

Old 12-10-2013, 04:35 AM

302 posts, read 2,231,693 times
MayWoodFam: I agree with #'s 1, 2 & 3. I live a mile from Maywood. The big negative for me is the volume of traffic at the area around the Bergen Mall, Route 4/17. etc. This time of year the traffic can be horrendous.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > New Jersey