Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > New Jersey
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 12-08-2013, 10:00 PM

1,221 posts, read 2,109,593 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by DyHer View Post
I dont know at this rate we can decide where to live in nJ with easy pen station commute.
You don't need or want to be going to NY Penn Station if you're working in the Financial District. You want to be going to Newark Penn or Hoboken, and then change trains to the PATH, which goes to WTC directly. (PATH also goes to Jersey City).
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 12-09-2013, 06:58 AM

395 posts, read 603,526 times
If your working in the Financial District, you will want to take the path train into WTC

Old 02-10-2014, 10:29 PM

8 posts, read 23,776 times
Hey don't know if you are still looking but I have a few tips for you about mountainside. Taxes are low there, and you can save some money in other ways. I dug up all the sewer pipes in my yard and decided to install a direct drainage of sewage into the mountains behind my house. I've saved thousands in sewage fees. We don't even need a septic tank the pipes drain right into the watchung reserve, there is a Small river that drains all the run off towards union and Springfield. I bet the residents don't even notice down there, anyway. Anyway hope this helps you in your search

Old 02-10-2014, 10:33 PM

8 posts, read 23,776 times
Test

Old 02-11-2014, 06:30 AM

396 posts, read 707,965 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by DyHer View Post
Since i hear so many bad reviews about short hills and its snobbish people we ruled out that area.
With all due respect, I live in Short Hills and this is not a "snobbish" town that should merit automatic exclusion. Quite the contrary--this town is full of people who have moved to the area "for the schools"....meaning they value education highly and along with it, character education, leadership, etc.

This town is not perfect but you walk around town and you will see a town of mostly nice, confident, well spoken and very responsible young people. The various PTOs are extremely active in town, there is a charming theater (Paper Mill Playhouse), access to all kinds of resources for kids and the schools more than live up to the hype. The community is welcoming, warm and full of people moving in and the real estate market has stayed stronger than other for the past 6 years.

Is the place perfect? No---but if you are looking at Chatham, you might as well expand your horizons and look at Short Hills/Millburn.

The schools are FANTASTIC, though. When we moved here, I'd hear over and over again about the pressure but my sister lives here and between the two of us, we remain blown away by the curriculum, high expectations, and the creative way the teachers impart information. My creative, artsy kids have more than risen to the expectations and I am humbled by how they have been shaped by the schools. There is a very rich cultural program as well....and the special ed department is amazing. We have had nothing but amazing experiences here--and I came here full of misgivings and preconceived notions that are simply not true.

What red flags exist here? Well--the academic pressure piece. On the one hand, over half of Millburn High School graduates go to Top 100 colleges and the rest go to very solid schools. The school is a machine when it comes to college placements. But that comes with a price--lots of pressure and academic competition. There are tutors, etc here--but I think that's true throughout NJ anyway.

My advice for you is no matter where you live, get involved with the schools via the PTA/PTOs. Great way to make friends and great way to understand your new community. Wisconsin is very different from NJ so that kind of involvement will give you perspective.

Old 02-11-2014, 06:32 AM

396 posts, read 707,965 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by nybbler View Post
Well, Chatham has the same snobbish reputation. I have relatives in Short Hills and they're not snobbish at all, but they've been there for decades and don't live in the massive estates either. I believe of the ones you mentioned, Mountainside is the worst commute (no train station) and Chatham the best. Short Hills is an easier commute than any of them; so is Summit. Chatham and Berkeley Heights are both traditional train towns with a small downtown area around the train station. Summit has a much larger downtown area with lots of restaurants. Mountainside is more suburban, if it has a downtown I haven't seen it.
The people in the massive estates are no different---they still put their pants on one leg at a time. I *do* know them and they are just fine.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > New Jersey