Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > New Jersey
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 12-08-2013, 05:41 PM

530 posts, read 1,360,006 times

Advertisements

Hello, i'm a 21/yr old blk male soon-to-be college grad (bachelors degree). I'm originally from a middle class L.I. suburb and plan on going off on my own about a year after I graduate. This part of NJ is one of the areas that I find interesting.

Here's my criteria:
- Walkable area (I want to get rid of my car)
- Good public transportation to Manhattan AND the ports/industrial districts of Newark Bay
- Area can't be THAT ghetto/dangerous
- Area that's a mix btwn suburban and urban
- No toxic waste issues
- Adequate shopping nearby(things u need for everyday living, ex: stationaries, delis, supermarkets, barber shops and maybe even a mall, etc)
- Diversity is good as long as its mostly made up of English-speakers (to avoid a communication barrier)
- Nice to have a decent amt other educated young adults nearby

** I DON'T CARE about nightlife, partying, bars/clubs, museums or school districts since I have no kids and will be renting.

Which one of these areas will be the best fit?

Last edited by PrestigiousReputability; 12-08-2013 at 06:09 PM..
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 12-08-2013, 09:06 PM

31,909 posts, read 26,979,379 times
Was born and raised on SI with several family members or friends of family/from school that lived in Port Richmond.

PR *used* to be a rather nice middle class area for the most part, this was before the 1990's or so, now much of it including Richmond Avenue (excuse me, Port Richmond Avenue) is either a slum or darn close.

Good part of Port Richmond is Hispanic/Latino (mostly Mexican) indeed the last US census has the area at over 45% Hispanic. Port Richmond, Staten Island - Wikipedia, the free encyclopedia

Public transportation to NJ? There one bus (S89) that runs from PR to Bayonne over the Bayonne Bridge, but you'd have to get to Newark best way you know how from there. Most persons living in the area that required going to NJ often would probably drive.

As for walkability, though the North and West shores of Staten Island are a bit more compact than the South and served by (just) a bit better public transportation (buses), living without a vehicle will present some challenges. You may find the supermarkets and other shops you like are a bus ride or two away and or you'll have to walk. That can get old very fast.

Even though you don't care about schools sometimes the problems do spill out into the area: Police take 10 into custody following fracas at Port Richmond High School, sources say | SILive.com

Old 12-08-2013, 09:51 PM

3,617 posts, read 3,884,082 times
Passaic is a low-income predominately Hispanic town, and that usually means a lot of Spanish -- not always, and I don't know for sure, but do your homework. Can't speak to the others since my knowledge drops off substantially once you get south of Newark.

Unless you have a job offer to work in NJ, if you want to live somewhere where not having a car won't detract from your lifestyle and aren't tolerant of people who don't use English as their language of choice (or speak it at all), you are better off in NYC IMO. I'm not saying that areas that fulfill those criteria don't exist -- they do for sure -- just that there are better options at any given price point in the city, unless you have some personal reason like work or family to be on this side of the Hudson. Alternatively a lot of pretty good options in Jersey open up if you are willing to live somewhere where a lot of people speak a foreign language or are willing to keep the car.

Old 12-08-2013, 09:53 PM

12,883 posts, read 13,990,431 times
I definitely wouldn't move to Port Richmond, personally.

Old 12-09-2013, 06:06 AM

160 posts, read 300,950 times
Out of those I would say Elizabeth is the best choice. The city is right on Newark Bay's ports and the transit situation there is actually pretty decent. You have quick port access and okay NYC access as well. If you want great transit then you pretty much have to stick to Hudson County. Elizabeth does have a large Latino community but that is certainly not a detriment.

Old 12-09-2013, 06:40 AM

1,212 posts, read 2,253,139 times
You might consider Newark's ironbound district. it satisfies almost all of your criteria but is not suburban in any way; you can live there without a car. Passaic I don't think so.

Old 12-09-2013, 07:23 AM

Hello, i'm also looking for an area with as little racial tensions as possible. I know with diversity then that is hard to avoid, especially when it's working class areas like these. I looked up Port Richmond and it was suggested that there was racial tensions btwn Blacks and Mexicans: sounds very stressful. Can you tell me which one of these areas or neighboring areas are known for racial tensions.

Anyways, I was looking at the NJT map and wondering if you can get from the Orange NJ stop of the Gladstone Line to the Newark Liberty Airport/Newark Bay industrial district. Is it possible? Would it be a hassle?

http://www.njtransit.com/images/station_selector.jpg

Thank you guys for the feedback, I really appreciate it.

Old 12-09-2013, 07:39 AM

1,212 posts, read 2,253,139 times
If you're worried about racial tensions, esp in a majority Hispanic area, I'll tell you what I really think, the criteria you're asking for could put you in some undesirable areas, for you at least, an educated middle class black man.

Outside of the super expensive downtown JC/Hoboken areas, the most of the semi-urban neighborhoods convenient to Newark where you could live without a car, are not really nice areas, and/or majority Hispanic. However you could look into Bayonne, which is semi-urban and could probably get around without a car. Maybe JC Heights. Bayonne is really close to the port but I am not sure about public transportation from there.

Now if you were to be ok keeping a car, there are nicer areas with less racial tension that are probably just as convenient to NYC (not sure about port of Newark - do you really want to have to take a bus, or several buses, to get to your job everyday?)

Last edited by arrieros81; 12-09-2013 at 08:00 AM..

Old 12-09-2013, 07:55 AM

4,073 posts, read 8,980,712 times
Have you considered Rahway?

Old 12-09-2013, 08:43 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by arrieros81 View Post
If you're worried about racial tensions, esp in a majority Hispanic area, I'll tell you what I really think, the criteria you're asking for could put you in some undesirable areas, for you at least, an educated middle class black man.
I'm surprised that there are notable racial tensions btwn blacks+hispanics in some of these areas. I know in the Bronx and LI, blacks and hispanics generally get along very easily with no issue whatsoever. Maybe the hispanic groups of NJ are different than the ones across the Hudson River? Personally, i've never had an issue with hispanics or any other group; and wouldn't mind living side by side as long as we have the ability to communicate with each other (and there is not much racial tensions).

But I do know that my socioeconomic background could really set me apart from a majority of the residents in these towns. I don't mind associating w/ppl of different socioeconomic backgrounds than me and I don't have to let it be known and let it define me. I would be most satisfied as long as most of the residents of the area tend to be decent english-speaking ppl, regardless of what income bracket or race they happen to fall into.

Quote:
Outside of the super expensive downtown JC/Hoboken areas, the most of the semi-urban neighborhoods convenient to Newark where you could live without a car, are not really nice areas, and/or majority Hispanic. However you could look into Bayonne, which is semi-urban and could probably get around without a car. Maybe JC Heights. Bayonne is really close to the port but I am not sure about public transportation from there.

Now if you were to be ok keeping a car, there are nicer areas with less racial tension that are probably just as convenient to NYC (not sure about port of Newark - do you really want to have to take a bus, or several buses, to get to your job everyday?)
I'm ok and well aware of the fact that most of the areas that i'm considering are not nice areas. I strongly prefer to get rid of my car, since my car insurance is very expensive on LI ($700/mo) so I really would like to get rid of it quick; my car note+gas is another large expense. However, if the car insurance in NJ is significantly cheaper then I would consider keeping it.

Quote:
Originally Posted by HalfFull View Post
Have you considered Rahway?
I will look into it. Does it fit most of my criteria?

On another note: I really like South Orange/Maplewood but most of the rents tend to be out of my price range (over $1,000); I'm only looking for a studio apartment or 1/bdr. I like the fact that it's an educated, affluent, walkable/commutable, diverse and beautiful town. So anything comparable to South Orange that's a bit more affordable will be great.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > New Jersey