Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > New Jersey
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 11-25-2007, 07:50 PM

6 posts, read 19,384 times

Advertisements

Hello.

I need advice from the locals. I am 23, female from Boston who will be working in Midtown asap... Dec 10, and needs a place to stay. I found a possible roommate who is talking about The Galaxy apartments in Guttenberg, nj.

Now, I did my basic research and know that I'm paying for the apartment/ convenience to NYC and not much more since the area is about 4 blocks.

My main concern is safety. I haven't seen any posts staying to stay away, and I don't know enough about the surrounding area to judge.

I am of course going to look at the area/apt myself. I just wanted another set of opinions.

Thanks.

Lindsay
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 11-25-2007, 07:52 PM

432 posts, read 1,879,045 times
The Galaxy is considered to be desirable. You will have to come and get a feel for the place and for the area yourself to see if it suits you.

Old 11-25-2007, 09:23 PM

53 posts, read 224,792 times
^ I agree. Galaxy is desirable and is on the gold coast. Gold Coast refers to the strip of land running along the Hudson River. General vicinity is very nice, and if you look up Edgewater, you get a general idea. I don't live here but am familiar with the area. If you are a young professional, you'd love it!

Old 11-26-2007, 08:18 AM

72 posts, read 385,542 times
In my opinion Riverbend at Port Imperial is better than the Galaxy. I used to live in the Galaxy when I first moved to the area but once a space opened up at Riverbend I moved there & lived there for 2 yrs. I am moving out at the end of the year b/c I just bought a place. First off, the Galaxy is old & so are the amenities, appliances and such. You can have newer units & more amenities for relatively the same price as what you will pay at the Galaxy. FYI Riverbend is down the hill from the Galaxy. PM if you want. HTH

Old 11-26-2007, 02:03 PM

22 posts, read 121,387 times
The Galaxy is considered 'desierable' but West New York, NJ unfortunately is not! It is a low income, hi crime neighborhood. There is lots of traffic, lots of 'applied housing' buildings & basically no one speaks english. I would try Edgewater NJ, come see for yourself, I'm sure you'll agree ; ) Good luck.

Old 12-02-2008, 11:03 AM

1 posts, read 7,348 times
Although West New York is not a "high crime area" (where did you get that from?), the town sure is not a place for those who do not speak spanish, unfortunately. Guttenberg is a nice town, quiet, and near everything. I would suggest trying a place like Hoboken or a place like Pavonia Newport in Jersey City. They are around the same price as the Galaxy, and has much more younger people than the Galaxy. The Galaxy has alot of middle-aged or older people. Hope this helps

Old 12-02-2008, 01:12 PM

5,340 posts, read 13,950,197 times
West New York is not the greatest place, but it depends what you are looking for. (FYI, Guttenberg is a VERY small town that is right next to WNY and Edgewater.) The Galaxy was the place to be at one time, but it has gotten a little dated. If you are going to be living there and commuting into the city only, it's rather self contained. But if you venture out into the surrounding neighborhoods you'll see it's far from desirable. There is a lot of gang activity in West New York now. I had a friend who lived right down the block from the Galaxy several years ago and trust me, it was NOT safe.

Old 12-02-2008, 01:34 PM

3,219 posts, read 6,580,964 times
As much as I like walking on Boulevard East - walking in that area's sidewalks/walkway is playing the dodging of dog urine and maybe some feces.

Old 12-02-2008, 01:43 PM

5,340 posts, read 13,950,197 times
Boulevard East is Beautiful, but it has seen better (and worse, I may add...) days.

Old 12-02-2008, 03:28 PM

2,312 posts, read 7,525,377 times
Aah, the Galaxy--pie shaped apartments. Very groovy.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > New Jersey