Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > New Jersey
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 11-26-2007, 04:41 AM

17,003 posts, read 12,583,387 times

Advertisements

OK I and the family are going into the city on Sat Dec 8... and yes with 2 small kids. I know you are all saying dont... Too late, I agreed to it.

So how to do it? We live in Sussex Co.

NJ trains to Path to subways?
Go direct to Path trains?
Use subways?
Take the stroller as both transportation and a transportable child restrain device?
use cabs? what about car seats?
Drive!?!? GAH Manhattan drivers make NJ drivers look good. and parking is like 35 dollars on weekends.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 11-26-2007, 05:08 AM

9,124 posts, read 36,369,826 times
Where in NYC are you trying to get to? The easiest route by far is to take NJ Transit trains straight into Penn Station- we've done it tons of times with our two girls. From there, you can walk to many events/attractions.

Old 11-26-2007, 05:36 AM

12,283 posts, read 35,677,666 times
we always drive. lincoln tunnel, park right in the PA and take subways from there. yes, this is with 2 kids. you can also take the GWB and head downtown via the West Side Hwy.

here's a site that finds the cheapest parking. i found a $12 lot when we went to the Museum Of Natural History last January.

New York City Parking Garage Rates - Compare Daily/Monthly - Manhattan

Even though parking at the PA is $25 (and tunnel/bridge is $6), by the time you factor train tickets for 4, waiting time, etc - it's a wash, and I like having control of our schedule and not having to rely on mass transit (especially on weekends).

Old 11-28-2007, 01:51 PM

2 posts, read 12,348 times
hi my name is Lucienne and I am moving West New York with my family. I have a son who is 12 and i am looking for a good school for him. Can you please help

Old 11-28-2007, 02:21 PM

2,210 posts, read 7,024,355 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by tahiti View Post
we always drive. lincoln tunnel, park right in the PA and take subways from there. yes, this is with 2 kids. you can also take the GWB and head downtown via the West Side Hwy.

here's a site that finds the cheapest parking. i found a $12 lot when we went to the Museum Of Natural History last January.

New York City Parking Garage Rates - Compare Daily/Monthly - Manhattan

Even though parking at the PA is $25 (and tunnel/bridge is $6), by the time you factor train tickets for 4, waiting time, etc - it's a wash, and I like having control of our schedule and not having to rely on mass transit (especially on weekends).
I agree. Whenever I go with my kids (3 and 5) I drive. Another reason is to use the car as repository for all the cr@p that comes with kids so I don't have to carry too much stuff around.

Old 11-28-2007, 02:26 PM

715 posts, read 1,149,042 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by ottomobeale View Post
OK I and the family are going into the city on Sat Dec 8... and yes with 2 small kids. I know you are all saying dont... Too late, I agreed to it.

So how to do it? We live in Sussex Co.

NJ trains to Path to subways?
Go direct to Path trains?
Use subways?
Take the stroller as both transportation and a transportable child restrain device?
use cabs? what about car seats?
Drive!?!? GAH Manhattan drivers make NJ drivers look good. and parking is like 35 dollars on weekends.
My wife and I take our son into Manhattan at least once a month. There's so many places to visit: the museums, Central Park, Broadway shows, Madison Square Garden, the Seaport/Fulton Fish Market, China Town, Little Italy, NYU, Soho, Tribeca, Wall Street, the United Nations, etc...

Then to the Pokemon center (Rockefeller center), as a reward for being a good boy .

Sometimes we take the train straight into Penn Station and walk all over the city or take the subway downtown.

The more fun way for us, though, is to drive the car and park in Hoboken (about $20, which is slightly less than 3 round trip tickets on the train from Hackettstown or Dover). Then we take the ferry across the Hudson River. There are free crosstown buses. We get off right by the 5th Ave. Public lib or Grand Central and walk all over the city.

When its time to go home, we have the option of taking the path or the ferry back to Hoboken, take the car from the parking lot and have a leisurely drive home in the evening. Of course, by then, both mom and son are sleeping in the car while I have to do the driving.

We've learned to enjoy taking public transportation: trains, ferries, path or subway, local MTA buses, etc...

Old 11-28-2007, 02:32 PM

2,689 posts, read 3,963,178 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by fastninja500 View Post
My wife and I take our son into Manhattan at least once a month. There's so many places to visit: the museums, Central Park, Broadway shows, Madison Square Garden, the Seaport/Fulton Fish Market, China Town, Little Italy, NYU, Soho, Tribeca, Wall Street, the United Nations, etc...

Then to the Pokemon center (Rockefeller center), as a reward for being a good boy .

Sometimes we take the train straight into Penn Station and walk all over the city or take the subway downtown.

The more fun way for us, though, is to drive the car and park in Hoboken (about $20, which is slightly less than 3 round trip tickets on the train from Hackettstown or Dover). Then we take the ferry across the Hudson River. There are free crosstown buses. We get off right by the 5th Ave. Public lib or Grand Central and walk all over the city.

When its time to go home, we have the option of taking the path or the ferry back to Hoboken, take the car from the parking lot and have a leisurely drive home in the evening. Of course, by then, both mom and son are sleeping in the car while I have to do the driving.

We've learned to enjoy taking public transportation: trains, ferries, path or subway, local MTA buses, etc...
instead of parking in Hoboken try parking in port imperial, just north of the lincoln tunnel entrance, parking used to $5 and on the NYC side they have free shuttle buses to most parts of midtown

Old 11-28-2007, 02:43 PM

857 posts, read 2,001,845 times
I go to manhattan every day, and you will never find my car anywhere near it. ESPECIALLY around the holidays. There's a good chance you will find yourself stopped in the same spot for 2 hrs+. when traffic gets bad in manhattan, there's nowhere to go. no shortcuts. no alternate routes, you're just simply screwed and have to wait it out.

just my 2c...

Old 11-28-2007, 03:09 PM

715 posts, read 1,149,042 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by apvbguy View Post
instead of parking in Hoboken try parking in port imperial, just north of the lincoln tunnel entrance, parking used to $5 and on the NYC side they have free shuttle buses to most parts of midtown
Yes, you're right. We did that once. Actually, on a weekend, the ferry we take from Hoboken sometimes makes a stop to pick up additional passengers at Port Imperial if we're not full.

But we prefer the Hoboken parking now because of the option of being able to take either the path train or ferry. Also, there's some excellent Italian Deli's (ex. Buencamina's - excellent Mozzarella, home made daily) or Arthur's steak house in Hoboken where we have dinner before driving home.

Actually, my first preference would be to park and take the ferry from Lincoln Harbor. I used to work at the company there and know the security guards personally. So they let me park for free. This is what we do on weekday trips. But there are no ferries from Lincoln Harbor on weekends. Or they might have a very limited schedule.

Old 11-28-2007, 03:16 PM

3,219 posts, read 6,579,439 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by lucienne View Post
hi my name is Lucienne and I am moving West New York with my family. I have a son who is 12 and i am looking for a good school for him. Can you please help
Hi lucienne - I think you'll be much better served if you start a separate thread with this question.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > New Jersey