Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > New Jersey
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 12-17-2013, 08:44 AM

7,296 posts, read 11,860,440 times

Advertisements

I'd wait for the arrets and investigation. My gut hunch right now is that the carjackers were not very experienced, which explains the shooting. They may have been street muggers or convenience store robbers before turning to cars. A seasoned carjacker would know when not to cross the line epecially in cases where reward money could be large enough to entice tipsters to turn them in.

Old 12-17-2013, 08:44 AM

12,546 posts, read 21,397,033 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by AnesthesiaMD View Post
But who really cares about shoplifters or cars missing from a parking lot? There is no danger there, and it's all replaceable. If that is what keeps you away, you may be a little too sheltered. But this is a little different, no? Obviously, this is not an every day occurrence or else it wouldn't be all over the news. Same goes for that home invasion. These are pretty rare occurrences. Is this really the reason "You could not pay me any amount of money to move back there."?
I'll always believe that if something is replaceable with money, it's really not a big deal. a safe can keep your important possessions quite secure, and other than that, if someone wants to take something from you, just hand it over. it's not worth the potential outcomes to fight.

Old 12-17-2013, 08:45 AM

18,460 posts, read 15,239,225 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by bradykp View Post
we all love a good story, especially the "news" publications, but I don't buy it. they demanded his keys...yes. they would have demanded she get out (just like they did AFTER they killed the guy) and took the car. by "defending" his wife, he ended up dead. honestly, you really believe this? it's a nice headline, but i'm going with nope.
You choose to buy that he risked his life over a lousy car instead?
I would be more apt to believe he was protecting his wife. Either that, or these were just scum bags who killed him for no reason at all.

Old 12-17-2013, 08:48 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by CaptainNJ View Post
once you include suicide, you have no credibility. I couldn't care less about suicides, that's a choice.

also, I don't agree with the premise. while the overall odds of something bad happening may increase, it doesn't mean that the odds of individuals increases (not that I am accepting or not-accepting the notion you have presented). if I am someone who acts responsibly, I can protect myself and family without increasing the risk of bad outcomes. however, those who don't act smartly will be increasing their risk of bad outcomes. I think its faulty to assume that just because overall risk increases, that the risk is spread equally among everyone involved. for example, if you put guns in 100 homes. you may have increased the crazy person's chances of shooting himself or someone else; but you didn't increase the danger for the normal smart good looking guy with the hot wife.
there was a story about a family in texas who made the same arguments as you. responsible gun owners, kids learned to shoot at a young age, father locked the guns up, etc. one day, his daughter was rehearsing for her high school play and it included a suicide scene. she thought it would be a good idea to get the gun and practice the scene. no one was home. she ended up shooting a hole through the floor, no one was hurt. she didn't tell her dad about it for years. they're still a family with guns, but his perspective seemed to change when he gave the interview about responsible gun ownership and accidents. maybe the risk of bad outcomes doesn't increase as much for you as someone who "doesn't act smartly", but the fact is, it still increases.

Old 12-17-2013, 08:49 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by lucylinus View Post
It's more than a small risk at Short Hills Mall. It's a very regular occurrence.
cars are stolen regularly at the SHM? this is the first i've heard in my 9 years living in NJ, though only the past 4 have been living right near the mall...i think you're exagerrating a bit.

Old 12-17-2013, 08:56 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by jerseygal4u View Post
I bet if it was some black middle class couple who were shopping in downtown Newark when someone stole their 2010 Honda Civic and killed the husband,no coverage would have been given
honestly, if this was a range rover in downtown newark, no coverage would have been given. the coverage is because it happened at SHM. when it happens in downtown newark, it's not even newsworthy anymore. that's a sad statement, but it's true.

Old 12-17-2013, 08:57 AM

Quote:
Yes,I'm aware.
Again,what about the innocent people in Nwk when some on here talk about putting up fences?
is it really worth worrying about some idiot who thinks putting a fence up around a major city is a good idea? i'd say...ignore them.

Old 12-17-2013, 08:58 AM

13,403 posts, read 28,717,395 times
Quote:
Yes,I'm aware.
Again,what about the innocent people in Nwk when some on here talk about putting up fences?
For them I feel very sorry because at any given moment they may get caught in a cross fire

Old 12-17-2013, 09:00 AM

13,403 posts, read 28,717,395 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by bradykp View Post
pretty much. you really have to wonder though, why pull the trigger? if someone fights back, maybe just move on and get the H out of there. now you've got a murder charge and a man hunt. over a freaking car???
That's why they FOUND the car, because now it was way to hot to take to a chop shop

Old 12-17-2013, 09:00 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by AnesthesiaMD View Post
You choose to buy that he risked his life over a lousy car instead?
I would be more apt to believe he was protecting his wife. Either that, or these were just scum bags who killed him for no reason at all.
i don't know why he risked his life. maybe he thought his wife was in danger. i dunno. maybe he was worried about whatever he just put in his car that he purchased. i dunno. whether he (thought he) was protecting his wife or not, to me, the reality is, you're not winning a fight against someone who has a gun on you. it's stuff from hollywood that makes people think they are. i know this is easier said than done, but to me, the "right" move is to hand over the keys and say "just don't hurt us, take it".

you really think the two low lifes that did this wanted anything other than stealing a range rover?
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Closed Thread

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > New Jersey