Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > New Jersey
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Closed Thread Start New Thread

Old 12-19-2013, 08:07 AM

24,645 posts, read 38,639,083 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by Mightyqueen801 View Post
I was following a website about race during the election. In one instance, a woman (I think she was in Louisiana) said she could not vote for Obama because it just didn't seem right. That sounded sort of vague, and when the interviewer pressed her, she said, "It isn't right that a black man would hold a position that puts him over me."
But we're all the same, right? Racism doesn't exist. We're all individuals........
Quote:
But racism does exist in New Jersey. I have some cousins I could introduce you to. They will say things about black people and Indians and whomever else isn't like us (Dutch and English) and the most amazing thing is that they will say it TO MEMBERS OF MY FAMILY, which includes a sister who has been married to her black husband for 35 years and their bi-racial daughter. Of course, when they see my brother-in-law, they smile and shake his hand. We don't see them often.

Another sister of mine lives in the Poconos, and let me tell you, the south has nothing on the racism of the natives of that area. Ignorance abounds.
Don't I know it. I have on several occasions spoken about the blatant housing discrimination I have encountered in trying to buy homes in this state, and how my real estate agent, a native of India, was astonished at its vehemence and persistence.

There are three regions in America - down South, up South, and out South.

Old 12-19-2013, 08:31 AM

1,846 posts, read 2,044,242 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Adi from the Brunswicks View Post
I call racist people in rural Pennsylvania Pennecks .
Never had a problem with people in the Poconos they have always been nice. And I wouldn't consider myself white, at least on the outside.

Old 12-19-2013, 09:05 AM

18,460 posts, read 15,239,225 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by hooplaman View Post
Never had a problem with people in the Poconos they have always been nice. And I wouldn't consider myself white, at least on the outside.
So you consider yourself white on the inside?

Old 12-19-2013, 09:27 AM

88,516 posts, read 84,705,921 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Lucario View Post
But we're all the same, right? Racism doesn't exist. We're all individuals........

Don't I know it. I have on several occasions spoken about the blatant housing discrimination I have encountered in trying to buy homes in this state, and how my real estate agent, a native of India, was astonished at its vehemence and persistence.

There are three regions in America - down South, up South, and out South.
One of my Indian coworkers said a man actually KICKED him in the pool at his condo complex (where he is on the board) and said, "Why don't you go back to where you came from?"

Fortunately, there ARE plenty of people who are not this way.

I once asked my sister and her husband if they'd ever had any problems buying or renting as an interracial couple, and they said no, they both had decent jobs and the green was the only color that mattered. They also did not attempt to live/want to live in areas that didn't have some diversity to begin with.

I know when I lived in Northwest Bergen County, a black professional couple (doctor and lawyer) were trying to buy in Wyckoff and all the houses they were interested in were mysteriously no longer available when they asked the real estate agent about them. So they reported this to a group that researches and exposes such things, and they sent out a fake white couple with the exact same qualifications as the black couple, and those houses miraculously were back on the market. They went to the press and made it public. That was in the 1990s.

The real estate's lame story was that they didn't want the black couple to feel uncomfortable. Yeah, right.

Back to my sister and her interracial marriage--she has seen some change since they began to date back in the 70s. It used to be that they couldn't walk through a mall without people staring at them--now, she says, interracial couples are so common in NJ that no one gives them a second look. She worked as a nurse on the night shift in the ER, and she used to be afraid to let the women she worked with know she was married to a black man. White women would often shun her, and black women would resent her for taking a good black man out of the pool. That was something she had to learn to deal with--walk away from people's who carry their own agendas about interracial marriage.

They have a daughter who was dating a young man for a couple of years, the son of Russian immigrants. She had never met his parents--he made it clear that his parents had a problem with her skin tone. They went to their own houses for holidays, etc. Finally after two years, my niece said it's about time you confront this issue and introduce me to your family. If we marry and have children, we are going to have to have some kind of relationship. To which her boyfriend replied, "Oh, I could never MARRY you. My family simply wouldn't accept that."

To the left, to the left, everything he owned in a box to the left. She has a better boyfriend now.

So, in the end, we have to take people as individuals. We can't judge their racism or lack thereof without interacting with them.

Old 12-19-2013, 10:17 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by AnesthesiaMD View Post
So you consider yourself white on the inside?
I am pretty white washed!

Old 12-19-2013, 02:49 PM

385 posts, read 1,175,384 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Adi from the Brunswicks View Post
I call racist people in rural Pennsylvania Pennecks .
proof of this is in shenendoah, pa

Old 12-19-2013, 04:13 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by slope95 View Post
proof of this is in shenendoah, pa
I kind of want to go there for fun now and see these racists.

And do this the whole time there

Russell Peters-Speaking Italian - YouTube

Old 12-19-2013, 04:36 PM

11,879 posts, read 14,201,678 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by hooplaman View Post
I kind of want to go there for fun now and see these racists.

And do this the whole time there

Russell Peters-Speaking Italian - YouTube
The joke was amazing. LOL .

Italians may find it offensive though (and people of Italian origin make up a good percentage of the NJ population).

Old 12-19-2013, 08:38 PM

166 posts, read 326,506 times
I'm italian and it was dark one night and I thought an indian girl was italian once. Totally was thrown off when she said she was indian b/c I totally thought she was Italian. We dated for a while.

I work with a lot of Indians. Nicest people in the world.

Old 12-19-2013, 09:45 PM

12,883 posts, read 13,977,958 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by HubCityMadMan View Post
Yup, and the republican party is made up of a bunch of haters who hate anyone that is not WASP.
I hope you're joking.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Closed Thread

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > New Jersey