U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > New Jersey
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 12-19-2013, 08:05 PM

4 posts, read 5,950 times

Advertisements

Hey all, I am moving this March from Chicago. My office will be located in North Brunswick area. I am a 26 year old single male who likes to be in a downtown type area with bars, dining, shopping etc. I am looking for a safe place and something in the area of like 800 dollars... is that possible out that way? I also have family in Staten Island and would love to move there, does anyone have any info on that commute? any help would be so much appreciated! thanks!
Rate this post positively Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 12-19-2013, 08:20 PM

2,050 posts, read 5,604,116 times
Staten Island to No.Brunswick would not be an easy commute. Although it looks reasonable on google, the roads that converge are heavily congested, so you're looking at least and hour each way, without traffic, accidents or weather related delays. Renting a place for $800/month is also going to be difficult. Central Jersey is expensive! You might try some towns like New Brunswick (you might be able to find a like minded professional who needs a roommate) or Highland Park or Milltown. There may be some 3rd story apartments in older homes or above storefronts that would work. If you have the time to visit and interview people that need roommates, two people could live in a decent apartment with 2 BR and 2 BA for $1500-1600 month, but you'll have to do some serious looking and negotiating.

Old 12-19-2013, 08:26 PM

Thank you for your help!! I did not know SI was that much of a travel! Do you know of anywhere in NY that wouldnt be a terrible commute to North Brunswick?

Old 12-19-2013, 09:01 PM

12,899 posts, read 12,823,895 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by CoachVacs11 View Post
Thank you for your help!! I did not know SI was that much of a travel! Do you know of anywhere in NY that wouldnt be a terrible commute to North Brunswick?
Not really because NYC and east of it (Long Island) are islands, meaning bridges or tunnels, tolls, and traffic. Living in Manhattan, you'd deal with trains or buses. Outer boroughs, public transportation also unless you were willing to drive which could be a constant nightmare. Upstate would be too far to commute to North Brunswick IMO. Good thing is NJ is very close to NY so getting to see family won't be a problem at all. It's not like you're traveling far. I commute to Staten Island from Union County and it's not that bad. The most annoying thing is the bridge toll - $13 coming into SI. All NJ-NYC crossing are like this. Having EZpass makes it a bit better, giving you a discount if you make the commute a certain number of times a month, but still it's frustrating to have to pay to go to NY. So basically, you'd be paying every day to return home. Depending on time of day, traffic in and out of NYC can get really bad, even in SI.

My commute is 13 miles exactly door to door and it usually takes me a half hour, but bear in mind my schedule is a bit erratic and I'm not always going at rush hour. The longest it's ever taken me so far was about an hour and 15 minutes. The shortest is 20 minutes. An hour and 15 minutes to go 13 miles is pretty brutal, but they have been doing road construction on the SI expressway for at least a year so this definitely contributes. The Goethals Bridge is also far to narrow, casing traffic for a number of reasons, and will be replaced in the coming years. You would probably take the Outerbridge Crossing, though, going to and from Middlesex County which is honestly just as bad. It's not a terrible commute but it's not easy either. Overall I don't recommend you live in SI to work in NJ unless you really want to live in SI. It's totally doable, but stressful, frustrating, and annoying at times. It's just easier to work in NJ given traffic, bridge tolls, bad weather, etc. It makes for a much easier commute.

Old 12-19-2013, 09:14 PM

11,882 posts, read 13,201,936 times
Commute is not too bad. Route 1 to 440 via outer bridge usually takes 35 minutes. Then again, it all depends where in Staten island you are working and at what time you will be traveling. $ 800 sounds like a very low budget for my area though (unless you mean $800 K for a home). In north Brunswick, the major apartment complex is society hill which is a 5 mile ride from downtown new Brunswick. Regular buses are provided to downtown New Brunswick which has the lively city like feel as its an active college town with several Rutgers students. If at all you have to go to Manhattan, daily bus services are also provided from society hill. I live in North Brunswick and lot of apartment and home construction is taking place here.

Old 12-19-2013, 09:17 PM

Awesome! thanks for the great replies!!!! I guess I will have to settle for somewhere in Brunswick...any reccomendations? Also, can I get the YES network to watch my Yankees games in NJ? LoL!

Old 12-19-2013, 09:18 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Adi from the Brunswicks View Post
Commute is not too bad. Route 1 to 440 via outer bridge usually takes 35 minutes. Then again, it all depends where in Staten island you are working and at what time you will be traveling. $ 800 sounds like a very low budget for my area though (unless you mean $800 K for a home). In north Brunswick, the major apartment complex is society hill which is a 5 mile ride from downtown new Brunswick. Regular buses are provided to downtown New Brunswick which has the lively city like feel as its an active college town with several Rutgers students. If at all you have to go to Manhattan, daily bus services are also provided from society hill. I live in North Brunswick and lot of apartment and home construction is taking place here.
Exactly. It depends on a lot of things but I think people think SI is further from NJ than it is. I tell people I commute to SI and they're like OMG why? Isn't that so far? I tell them it's 13 miles from my house to my destination on SI and they can't believe it. And this is people from my area of NJ. It sounds far, I think, but it's not. But traffic and other conditions can make it further. My house to the Goethals Bridge is like 8 miles. Not far at all.

Old 12-19-2013, 09:34 PM

11,882 posts, read 13,201,936 times
Quote:
Awesome! thanks for the great replies!!!! I guess I will have to settle for somewhere in Brunswick...any reccomendations? Also, can I get the YES network to watch my Yankees games in NJ? LoL!
Look for rental apartments in society hill. North Brunswick is mostly independent family homes (though that's quickly changing after the pristine woods were recently cut down for construction of luxury condominiums ). If you are intent on apartments, I would look into highland park. Additionally, you can save a couple miles on your ride to Staten Island. I would avoid South Brunswick though since its too sprawled out for your wants and is more inclined towards middle aged men with family and kids.

Old 12-19-2013, 09:40 PM

Quote:
Yup! You'll never miss a Yankee game living here.

Old 12-19-2013, 11:02 PM

1,914 posts, read 3,349,517 times
Quote:
Hey all, I am moving this March from Chicago. My office will be located in North Brunswick area. I am a 26 year old single male who likes to be in a downtown type area with bars, dining, shopping etc. I am looking for a safe place and something in the area of like 800 dollars... is that possible out that way? I also have family in Staten Island and would love to move there, does anyone have any info on that commute? any help would be so much appreciated! thanks!
You're not going to get much for $800/month.

North Brunswick has no downtown to speak of. Shopping is good....

Are you going to be commuting during rush hour traffic? Getting to 440 from No. Bruns. isn't an easy trip. The fight up Rt. 1 is a nightmare, always was and has only gotten worse.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > New Jersey