Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > New Jersey
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 12-27-2013, 07:26 PM

217 posts, read 821,589 times

Advertisements

I am ready to replace my 11 year old master bathroom but I have no idea where to start. Maybe a kind email to the Property Brothers?! I want to gut the bathroom to the studs and do a complete overhaul including expanding the shower and replacing the jacuzzi tub with a soaker tub which might require some plumping rerouting. I lack vision so I thought I would start looking at photos on Houzz - Home Design, Decorating and Remodeling Ideas and Inspiration, Kitchen and Bathroom Design and then contacting some contractors via angieslist. How does that sound?

I am lucky that I live near Paramus, NJ which has nearly every specialty store one can imagine. I just am not sure what goes with what, what brand/material is better than others, nor understand what can be done without breaking the bank (e.g. expanding the shower). We had a contractor tell us that it would be $20-$30K for a new bathroom which seems high but what expected.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 12-28-2013, 08:09 AM

357 posts, read 1,026,348 times
If you don't have the vision you need someone that does. I redid mine earlier this year and it is expensive. For fixtures grohe makes the best ones hands down. To give you an idea my rain shower head was north of 1k alone so that estimate may be right but it depends on the size. If you Are doing frameless shower glass that is another 2k or so. You can buy a toilet for 1k or 100. Vanity will probably be around 2k for a double sink etc etc.

Point is you need someone to design it if you are switching adding moving stuff around.

Old 12-28-2013, 10:24 AM

166 posts, read 240,740 times
We did the same thing a few years ago. Best decision we made is we started with an architect. They took us through several different designs - and yes we went to the studs. They were also able to recommend a good contractor for the work. Love what we ended up with (both of us)! We used Zimmerman Architects in Denville. It seems that they specialize in residential renovation.

Old 12-28-2013, 09:00 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by imoapie View Post
If you don't have the vision you need someone that does. I redid mine earlier this year and it is expensive. For fixtures grohe makes the best ones hands down. To give you an idea my rain shower head was north of 1k alone so that estimate may be right but it depends on the size. If you Are doing frameless shower glass that is another 2k or so. You can buy a toilet for 1k or 100. Vanity will probably be around 2k for a double sink etc etc.

Point is you need someone to design it if you are switching adding moving stuff around.
Did you do the design yourself? How did you get ideas?

Quote:
Originally Posted by h_scott View Post
We did the same thing a few years ago. Best decision we made is we started with an architect. They took us through several different designs - and yes we went to the studs. They were also able to recommend a good contractor for the work. Love what we ended up with (both of us)! We used Zimmerman Architects in Denville. It seems that they specialize in residential renovation.
Not a bad idea. Pricey? Did you have to provide blue prints for the house? How will they know where the existing plumbing/electrical is?

Old 12-28-2013, 09:53 PM

3,026 posts, read 9,048,256 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by SAgosto View Post
I am ready to replace my 11 year old master bathroom but I have no idea where to start. Maybe a kind email to the Property Brothers?! I want to gut the bathroom to the studs and do a complete overhaul including expanding the shower and replacing the jacuzzi tub with a soaker tub which might require some plumping rerouting. I lack vision so I thought I would start looking at photos on Houzz - Home Design, Decorating and Remodeling Ideas and Inspiration, Kitchen and Bathroom Design and then contacting some contractors via angieslist. How does that sound?

I am lucky that I live near Paramus, NJ which has nearly every specialty store one can imagine. I just am not sure what goes with what, what brand/material is better than others, nor understand what can be done without breaking the bank (e.g. expanding the shower). We had a contractor tell us that it would be $20-$30K for a new bathroom which seems high but what expected.
Agree that absent personal vision you need professional help - whether it be an architect or bath designer. This is a relatively small "design" job (despite the anticipated $20-30K cost) and it does not sound as though you are making structural changes so discussing this with my spouse, who is an architect, I would suggest working with a high end bath shop with in-house design capabilities. Select one who has previous work that suits your taste (they should all work within your budget); if you purchase your fixtures from their outlet the cost of the design should be gratis - they will also be able to recommend contractors that they have confidence in (they want the project to be successful for future referrals).

Good luck - and we want pictures of the work in progress.

Old 12-29-2013, 08:04 AM

Well I did the design and work myself. My wife has tremendous vision and non professional design skills. My project was pretty big, moving all fixtures, adding sky light, moving walls and closets etc. I honestly started with I want one of those big 5x5 showers with body sprays, hand shower, rain shower and bench and thought where can I fit this. After that it all fell in place as my space is not that big.

Old 12-29-2013, 10:31 PM

328 posts, read 682,189 times
Paying a bathroom designer $20 - $30 k is not so bad when you are pumping over $100 K into the new bathroom. Well worth it to get it done properly. Since it has not been done for over 11 years, that comes to less than $3k a year for the bathroom designer---good path to go.

Old 12-30-2013, 06:03 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by jaybb View Post
Paying a bathroom designer $20 - $30 k is not so bad when you are pumping over $100 K into the new bathroom. Well worth it to get it done properly. Since it has not been done for over 11 years, that comes to less than $3k a year for the bathroom designer---good path to go.
What what? I don't think anyone is paying 100k for a new bathroom nor 20-30k for design alone. I think the 20-30k was the all in price.

Old 12-30-2013, 11:02 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by jerseyj View Post
Agree that absent personal vision you need professional help - whether it be an architect or bath designer. This is a relatively small "design" job (despite the anticipated $20-30K cost) and it does not sound as though you are making structural changes so discussing this with my spouse, who is an architect, I would suggest working with a high end bath shop with in-house design capabilities. Select one who has previous work that suits your taste (they should all work within your budget); if you purchase your fixtures from their outlet the cost of the design should be gratis - they will also be able to recommend contractors that they have confidence in (they want the project to be successful for future referrals).

Good luck - and we want pictures of the work in progress.
Thank you for the help. I added some pictures from the original owner for reference.

We'd like to replace the Jacuzzi tub with a soaker but put it against the window to avoid wasting all that valuable space. I haven't measured but there should be enough room for a 6' tub (I assume that's not out of the ordinary as I am 6' tall). To the right of the tub, is an enclosed linen closet. I suppose we could rip that down and build some built-ins or some other solution for the linens but that's up to the wife. That might require some plumbing changes given where the new faucet location but I am not sure. We would then replace the double vanity with another double vanity including a middle seat for makeup but move it over to the right to take advantage of the new tub location. That leaves room to the LEFT of the vanity to expand the shower. We could also take away from the enclosed room with the toilet. I am just not sure what makes the most sense (both logistically and financially).

Do you have any shop recommendations?

Quote:
Originally Posted by jaybb View Post
I cannot imagine paying $100K for a bathroom regardless of my income.

Quote:
Originally Posted by imoapie View Post
What what? I don't think anyone is paying 100k for a new bathroom nor 20-30k for design alone. I think the 20-30k was the all in price.
Exactly. I'd love to stay at 20K if possible but I am not the sacrificing type. If it makes sense, I do it. If it makes the wife happy, I do it.

Old 12-30-2013, 12:12 PM

3,026 posts, read 9,048,256 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by SAgosto View Post
Thank you for the help. I added some pictures from the original owner for reference.

We'd like to replace the Jacuzzi tub with a soaker but put it against the window to avoid wasting all that valuable space. I haven't measured but there should be enough room for a 6' tub (I assume that's not out of the ordinary as I am 6' tall). To the right of the tub, is an enclosed linen closet. I suppose we could rip that down and build some built-ins or some other solution for the linens but that's up to the wife. That might require some plumbing changes given where the new faucet location but I am not sure. We would then replace the double vanity with another double vanity including a middle seat for makeup but move it over to the right to take advantage of the new tub location. That leaves room to the LEFT of the vanity to expand the shower. We could also take away from the enclosed room with the toilet. I am just not sure what makes the most sense (both logistically and financially).

Do you have any shop recommendations?

I cannot imagine paying $100K for a bathroom regardless of my income.

Exactly. I'd love to stay at 20K if possible but I am not the sacrificing type. If it makes sense, I do it. If it makes the wife happy, I do it.

We have not had the need to hire the design portion of our jobs out so no personal experience. But a shop like this would do as much or as little as you wish.

Kitchen Designer New Jersey, Small Kitchen Design, Bathroom Designs Princeton, Somerset, Central Jersey

Don't know where you are located but find a couple in your area, look at their product lines and contact their references.
Good luck with your project!
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > New Jersey