Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > New Jersey
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 01-07-2014, 07:31 PM

1,675 posts, read 2,781,011 times

Advertisements

Example of how deaths are not classified as Flu, but instead as Pneumonia, Stroke, Pulmonary Embolism, Cardiac Arrest, etc:

Poster from CA: My brother in Texas just died on January 4th of this year from the flu. He is believed to have had the H1N1 virus. He did not seek medical attention and ended up having 4 strokes, being on life support for 2 weeks before he was removed for having no brain function. Don't blow off flu shots people! If my brother had had a flu shot, he's probably still be here today instead of leaving his young wife and 2 little girls fatherless.
Reply · Like · Follow Post · 6 hours ago

Pulmonary Embolism also can be cause of death related to H1N1 flu illness:
A study conducted in coordination with the University of Michigan Health Service is scheduled for publication in the December 2009 American Journal of Roentgenology warning that H1N1 flu can cause pulmonary embolism, surmised as a leading cause of death in this current pandemic.

Last edited by snuffybear; 01-07-2014 at 07:42 PM..
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 01-07-2014, 07:58 PM

31,771 posts, read 40,603,833 times
deaths from flu or related to the flu are inflated as part of the cdc "estimating" the number of deaths since reporting and actual testing for the flu is insufficient. then they add more deaths on top of that in order to get a number that is appropriately scary to help ensure proper hysteria levels.

Old 01-07-2014, 08:46 PM

Whatever. Yes it's estimated because of the classification issue. Anyone I know that has had a terrible case of the Flu has gotten vax ever since. And I'd feel real guilty if I were those parents with a child on respirator or ECMO right now, if they refused to get the shot for their kid.

Old 01-08-2014, 12:38 AM

32,858 posts, read 36,193,563 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by snuffybear View Post
Whatever. Yes it's estimated because of the classification issue. Anyone I know that has had a terrible case of the Flu has gotten vax ever since. And I'd feel real guilty if I were those parents with a child on respirator or ECMO right now, if they refused to get the shot for their kid.
I don't, but you don't know me so it doesn't count. I got flu in the 1989-90 epidemic. That was bad. I remember lying on the bed, dozing (or lapsing into unconsciousness), and wondering whether or not I could crawl to the bathroom for a drink of water. I've only been more ill a couple of times in my life - and one of those times I nearly died.

Why don't I get a flu shot? The three times in the last twenty years that I was forced to do so, I got flu. While I know that I didn't become ill because I was immunized, it certainly didn't help.

Old 01-08-2014, 06:50 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Gerania View Post
I don't, but you don't know me so it doesn't count. I got flu in the 1989-90 epidemic. That was bad. I remember lying on the bed, dozing (or lapsing into unconsciousness), and wondering whether or not I could crawl to the bathroom for a drink of water. I've only been more ill a couple of times in my life - and one of those times I nearly died.

Why don't I get a flu shot? The three times in the last twenty years that I was forced to do so, I got flu. While I know that I didn't become ill because I was immunized, it certainly didn't help.
You're an adult so it's your decision. It's those refusing it for their kids that concern me more. Your post makes me think you don't understand the science, though. The flu shot is not 100% effective, it is something like 80% effective (I don't recall the exact percentage) as the scientists have to predict the prevailing viruses for the year. THIS year's flu shot DOES cover H1N1, and that is what people are dying and hospitalized from, right now in the US and Canada.

Old 01-08-2014, 08:41 AM

31,771 posts, read 40,603,833 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by snuffybear View Post
You're an adult so it's your decision. It's those refusing it for their kids that concern me more. Your post makes me think you don't understand the science, though. The flu shot is not 100% effective, it is something like 80% effective (I don't recall the exact percentage) as the scientists have to predict the prevailing viruses for the year. THIS year's flu shot DOES cover H1N1, and that is what people are dying and hospitalized from, right now in the US and Canada.
i believe when i was googling last night i saw some article say its 60% effective. however, the people who are responsible for that number are probably clueless. we give a lot of weight to what "scientists" say and people who we assume have some kind of knowledge, but in reality they are usually talking out of their butts. one thing you also notice when googling the flu is that there is clearly a large industry involved in "selling" the horrors of the flu and the need for the vaccine. its all very agenda driven, none of it is unbiased.

but you are one of those people who has picked up his/her agenda because of your personal expeirence because here you are complaining that the numbers dont appropriately reflect reality but thats bs. the numbers are inflated making those assumptions that you are pretending arent being baked into the numbers. they are in there and then some more on top of that.

Old 01-08-2014, 09:15 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by CaptainNJ View Post
i believe when i was googling last night i saw some article say its 60% effective. however, the people who are responsible for that number are probably clueless. we give a lot of weight to what "scientists" say and people who we assume have some kind of knowledge, but in reality they are usually talking out of their butts. one thing you also notice when googling the flu is that there is clearly a large industry involved in "selling" the horrors of the flu and the need for the vaccine. its all very agenda driven, none of it is unbiased.

but you are one of those people who has picked up his/her agenda because of your personal expeirence because here you are complaining that the numbers dont appropriately reflect reality but thats bs. the numbers are inflated making those assumptions that you are pretending arent being baked into the numbers. they are in there and then some more on top of that.

I agree there's an agenda there. But I also think the scientists and doctors know more than I do, and I have enough understanding of the issue to feel that the recommendations are sound, regardless of the agenda (there's an agenda to almost everything, btw!). Also, my understanding is that almost all doctors do get the vax for themselves and their kids.

To me it's risk aversion. I'd rather get the shot than risk being super sick from the flu. And I'd rather my kids get the shot than have a potentially life threatening illness that can be avoided.

Old 01-09-2014, 07:16 AM

This year's flu vaccine includes H1N1 and is 80% effective against H1N1 Flu, which is the strain circulating now. In 2009 hospitals were overflowing with patients (at MMH, they ran out of rooms and some were in hallways) that were admitted, not to mention the overflowing ERs.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > New Jersey