Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > New Jersey
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 01-01-2014, 05:40 PM

14 posts, read 49,063 times

Advertisements

My partner and I have nailed down the Maplewood area as well as Riverdale, Bronx and Forest Hills, Queens to relocate to from Seattle. So exciting! I'm leaning toward Maplewood on this one, but we still have a bit more to think about, including options for getting home in case we have a late night out in the city.

For those who live in these NJ areas, would you say that staying out late in NYC is always a concern? Is it as difficult to return to the area from the city after 1 a.m. as my Manhattanite friends suggest?

Thanks!
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 01-01-2014, 06:28 PM

1,174 posts, read 1,748,065 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by emeraldcitywiz View Post
My partner and I have nailed down the Maplewood area as well as Riverdale, Bronx and Forest Hills, Queens to relocate to from Seattle. So exciting! I'm leaning toward Maplewood on this one, but we still have a bit more to think about, including options for getting home in case we have a late night out in the city.

For those who live in these NJ areas, would you say that staying out late in NYC is always a concern? Is it as difficult to return to the area from the city after 1 a.m. as my Manhattanite friends suggest?

Thanks!
As long as you dont mind driving to say the PATH station in Harrison, you could get home at anytime. However, if you want it so that you do not have to drive at all and only take the train, it will be a challenge if your looking to come back late night from manhattan.

Old 01-01-2014, 07:08 PM

Driving to the Harrison PATH isn't bad at all, but do you know if taxis are easy to hail outside the station?
Quote:
Originally Posted by pinkydapimp View Post
As long as you dont mind driving to say the PATH station in Harrison, you could get home at anytime. However, if you want it so that you do not have to drive at all and only take the train, it will be a challenge if your looking to come back late night from manhattan.

Old 01-01-2014, 07:10 PM

1,174 posts, read 1,748,065 times
Quote:
Driving to the Harrison PATH isn't bad at all, but do you know if taxis are easy to hail outside the station?
There is a taxi booth at the station. However, i havent ever been there late night. Newark Penn is also an option as there are always cabs there and the PATH runs all night to Newark.

Not sure if UBER works in NJ but that could also be an option.

Old 01-02-2014, 08:02 AM

882 posts, read 1,670,210 times
Not sure how late you consider to be a late night...but I've come back to South Orange at 1 AM or so with no problems.

Old 01-02-2014, 01:27 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by NJhighlands87 View Post
Not sure how late you consider to be a late night...but I've come back to South Orange at 1 AM or so with no problems.
Well, until our plans to have kids come to fruition in the next five years or so, I foresee a few nights a month that see us out past 1 a.m. in the city. I'm thinking 3 a.m. will be our curfew on such occasions.

Old 01-02-2014, 01:59 PM

385 posts, read 1,175,532 times
Quote:

Thanks!
1:19 is the last train from nyp to south orange.

the last 31 bus from newark to south orange leaves newark penn at 1:00.

if coming back from nyc at 3:00 am, either drive to harrison path and take path, or path to newark penn, and take (expensive) taxi, though I cannot guarantee a taxi is always there that late. when a friend of mine from kearny checked once when going to newark airport, there was only one there, which he took to the airport.

you best option is the 1:19 from new york penn.

Old 01-02-2014, 05:40 PM

3,921 posts, read 9,128,287 times
There's also the #107 bus from the PABT to South Orange.

http://www.njtransit.com/pdf/bus/T0107.pdf

Weekdays, the last bus is at 1:45AM (but it only goes up to Ivy Hill in Newark. You'd have to walk the rest of the way, which depending on where in SO you are could be anywhere from a 5-45 minute walk. To give you an idea, the train station is about a 20 minute walk).

Saturdays, the last bus is at 2:00AM, and goes all the way to South Orange. Sundays, the last bus is at 12:50AM, and only goes to Ivy Hill.

The #1 bus also goes from Newark Penn to Ivy Hill, and runs 24/7 (overnight frequencies are roughly every hour). So if you don't mind the walk from Ivy Hill, that's also an option.

http://www.njtransit.com/pdf/bus/T0001.pdf

Old 01-02-2014, 07:24 PM

385 posts, read 1,175,532 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by checkmatechamp13 View Post
There's also the #107 bus from the PABT to South Orange.

http://www.njtransit.com/pdf/bus/T0107.pdf

Weekdays, the last bus is at 1:45AM (but it only goes up to Ivy Hill in Newark. You'd have to walk the rest of the way, which depending on where in SO you are could be anywhere from a 5-45 minute walk. To give you an idea, the train station is about a 20 minute walk).

Saturdays, the last bus is at 2:00AM, and goes all the way to South Orange. Sundays, the last bus is at 12:50AM, and only goes to Ivy Hill.

The #1 bus also goes from Newark Penn to Ivy Hill, and runs 24/7 (overnight frequencies are roughly every hour). So if you don't mind the walk from Ivy Hill, that's also an option.

http://www.njtransit.com/pdf/bus/T0001.pdf
i would not recommend walking from the ivy hill loop at night. better off getting off the 107 bus in maplewood and walking.

Old 01-02-2014, 10:42 PM

Thanks, everyone! I'm still reading these so other advice is certainly welcome.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > New Jersey