U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > New Jersey
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Search Forums  (Advanced)
Reply Start New Thread
 
Old 01-02-2014, 09:18 PM
 
15 posts, read 47,473 times
Reputation: 12

Advertisements

Hello I'm looking to buy in Verona. I like the area and researched enough to know it would suit my needs. My question is the Verona taxes seem quite higher than it's neighbor Cedar grove. Why is that? Does Verona have many more amenities in town or does cedar grove have big businesses taking the hit? I'm familiar with the high taxes all over north jersey. I currently pay 5500 for a one bedroom condo in lyndhurst, and Rutherford (high taxes) is another town I'm strongly considering. The taxes suck but the home I'm looking at in Verona is list for 489k and taxes 15700...I haven't really been looking Cedar grove but I saw a property I like for 460k and the taxes only 7700. The homes weren't much different the house in Verona maybe a little bigger but not like a mansion. How is cedar grove as a town? I like Verona has a little downtown area and close to Montclair downtown. Schools are important but from what I heard and read Rutherford, Verona, and cedar grove are pretty good. Any insight to the Cedar grove/Verona area would be appreciated. I pretty much know all about Rutherford I have plenty family there and live 3 blocks away.
Rate this post positively Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

 
Old 01-02-2014, 09:52 PM
 
Location: The beautiful Garden State
2,725 posts, read 3,783,315 times
Reputation: 3625
Quote:
Originally Posted by Njlooker View Post
Hello I'm looking to buy in Verona. I like the area and researched enough to know it would suit my needs. My question is the Verona taxes seem quite higher than it's neighbor Cedar grove. Why is that? Does Verona have many more amenities in town or does cedar grove have big businesses taking the hit? I'm familiar with the high taxes all over north jersey. I currently pay 5500 for a one bedroom condo in lyndhurst, and Rutherford (high taxes) is another town I'm strongly considering. The taxes suck but the home I'm looking at in Verona is list for 489k and taxes 15700...I haven't really been looking Cedar grove but I saw a property I like for 460k and the taxes only 7700. The homes weren't much different the house in Verona maybe a little bigger but not like a mansion. How is cedar grove as a town? I like Verona has a little downtown area and close to Montclair downtown. Schools are important but from what I heard and read Rutherford, Verona, and cedar grove are pretty good. Any insight to the Cedar grove/Verona area would be appreciated. I pretty much know all about Rutherford I have plenty family there and live 3 blocks away.
Verona, as you said, has a nice little downtown. Verona residents seem to be very proud of their town. Verona has a pretty park in Verona Park.

Cedar Grove has no real downtown area. It doesn't seem to have an identity. Yes, there is a cluster of shops near the Foodtown but you never see anyone walking around.

The schools are a bit better in Verona, too.
Rate this post positively Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
 
Old 01-03-2014, 07:33 AM
 
225 posts, read 662,248 times
Reputation: 128
Cedar Grove does tend to have among the lowest taxes in Essex Co. Verona's are higher, but not as high as neighboring towns like Montclair and Bloomfield. Still, 15700 seems a bit high for a home priced under 500 in Verona. There must be something w that specific property or location. You should be able to find a home in that range more along the lines of 12000/13000 in taxes.
Rate this post positively Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
 
Old 01-03-2014, 09:06 AM
 
9,984 posts, read 17,053,868 times
Reputation: 10488
That Verona property is either undervalued or overtaxed, the Cedar Grove property is either overvalued or undertaxed. The tax rate for Verona is about 2.8%, the tax rate for Cedar Grove is about 2.1%.
Rate this post positively Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
 
Old 01-03-2014, 09:27 AM
 
225 posts, read 662,248 times
Reputation: 128
Also keep in mind when looking at homes w suspiciously low taxes (not saying this is the case w the Cedar Grove one), that people over a certain age can "freeze" their taxes so the rate would go up when someone else buys the house.
Rate this post positively Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
 
Old 01-03-2014, 09:53 AM
 
1,743 posts, read 1,528,819 times
Reputation: 808
Cedar Grove is a very quiet town and to themselves, as others have said they dont really have a downtown but the cops in that town make sure to keep anyone and everyone out of there .

Verona is a very nice town ,my cousin grew up there his whole life and the town has just grown to be better and cleaner. Mostly everyone supports all the local shops there and everyone kinda knows everyone . Great friendly area. More people like this need to really support their local mom and pop shops so the large corporate companies dont kill them off.
Rate this post positively Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
 
Old 01-03-2014, 10:12 AM
 
15 posts, read 47,473 times
Reputation: 12
Thanks for your responses. I never knew people can freeze their taxes. I have to look into that. I think Verona is more for us. We are 28 and 30 year olds prob have a kid in next two years. Looks like Rutherford or Verona will be my final two choices. I really like that Verona house need to see why taxes so high maybe I can appeal. 16k a year is really turning me off.
Rate this post positively Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
 
Old 01-03-2014, 10:34 AM
 
9,984 posts, read 17,053,868 times
Reputation: 10488
Quote:
Originally Posted by aedubber View Post
Cedar Grove is a very quiet town and to themselves, as others have said they dont really have a downtown but the cops in that town make sure to keep anyone and everyone out of there .
Dang, I've never been run out of Cedar Grove even once. I must be slipping.
Rate this post positively Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
 
Old 01-03-2014, 11:03 AM
 
1,743 posts, read 1,528,819 times
Reputation: 808
Quote:
Originally Posted by nybbler View Post
Dang, I've never been run out of Cedar Grove even once. I must be slipping.
Well the police officers seem to take too much pride in their job...
Rate this post positively Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
 
Old 01-03-2014, 11:08 AM
 
1,743 posts, read 1,528,819 times
Reputation: 808
Quote:
Originally Posted by Njlooker View Post
Thanks for your responses. I never knew people can freeze their taxes. I have to look into that. I think Verona is more for us. We are 28 and 30 year olds prob have a kid in next two years. Looks like Rutherford or Verona will be my final two choices. I really like that Verona house need to see why taxes so high maybe I can appeal. 16k a year is really turning me off.
For your age i would say Verona is perfect , i am 31 years old and my fiance is 23 . My cousin that grew up in Verona is 28. Everyone is really down to earth , not ghetto or trashy . People love to have a good time and just hang out. Not a lot of violence either , schools are good too .

Taxes in Essex County are all going to be very high. Sometimes when there is not a lot of tax revenue from local business'' then the homes take a hit , also a lot of that money goes to schools , officers, etc.. One thing i noticed with essex county is that a lot of that money also goes to support Newark and the other crappy low life towns that drain the nicer towns.

You could look into Morris County ? I am in Passaic County next to pompton lakes , house is only 1800 sq ft and pay 11k a year in taxes. Schools are meh , just no real downtown to help with taxes. Too many cops for a small town and over employed schools i guess.
Rate this post positively Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.


Reply
Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply
Message:




Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > New Jersey

All times are GMT -6.

© 2005-2021, Advameg, Inc. · Please obey Forum Rules · Terms of Use and Privacy Policy · Bug Bounty

City-Data.com - Contact Us - Archive 1, 2, 3, 4, 5, 6, 7, 8, 9, 10, 11, 12, 13, 14, 15, 16, 17, 18, 19, 20, 21, 22, 23, 24, 25, 26, 27, 28, 29, 30, 31, 32, 33, 34, 35, 36, 37 - Top