Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > New Jersey
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 01-11-2014, 04:32 AM

7 posts, read 28,154 times

Advertisements

We are considering moving out of Bergen county and are comparing Mountain Lakes and Mendham. There are a couple things we like about Mendham, proximity to Morristown, homes are on very large lots, plenty of parks and trails, top notch schools. However, we own a small rental in Denville, so we are also considering Mountain Lakes. The houses in both are similarly sized and priced, but you are certainly on top of each other more due to small lots there. I am not opposed to this, since it also seems like a tight community and, let's face it, after years in Bergen and Hudson counties, I'm used to being on top of my neighbors. We like the quick access to the highways and the lakes, plus it's close to several county parks with trails.

Here's my concern, I have heard that it is hard to make friends in Mountain Lakes, that people are not as welcoming or friendly (for adults, I'm not worried about my kids, they are not school aged yet). Does anyone have experience moving to either Mountain Lakes or Mendham? What was your experience?
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 01-11-2014, 05:34 AM

1,471 posts, read 3,461,541 times
I'm used to having my mangy behind being kicked out of both towns.

Seriously, I don't see how you can go wrong with either town. You're talking about two of the nicest (and most expensive) towns in the country.

Old 01-11-2014, 05:38 AM

I guess I'm trying to figure out which is less snobby, or if it's all the same. I feel like Mendham might be less snobby? Maybe Boonton Twp?

Old 01-11-2014, 08:42 AM

882 posts, read 1,670,862 times
I work in the Mendham area, in my experience, Mendham borough is a friendly country town that doesn't come off as particularly snobby. It's the township, with all of the huge mansions, where you find the elitism. I have a friend who teaches high school there, tells stories of kids going on weekend trips to France and girls getting cosmetic surgery for their sweet 16. A tough life these people live...

Old 01-11-2014, 11:52 AM

5,616 posts, read 15,520,111 times
I find Boonton Twp great if you like living in the woods alone. Its very secluded, and I get no community feel compared to ML and Mendham. Its just too removed from any main roads or anything really. Its great if you have tons of friends but to make friends in Boonton Twp, hard to do!

Old 01-11-2014, 11:55 AM

My choice for you would be Mountain Lakes. I am from Bergen County and Mendham is just too country , too far and too removed also from anything. ML people are more involved in a community /town spirit. I find Mendham big huge houses , lots of land and your kind of your own type attitude. I think you would be much happier in ML. People are more RA RA, my town there so it will be easier to make friends. ITs similar to like a Ridgewood in everyway.

Old 01-11-2014, 02:51 PM

Thanks Steve, I was sort of wondering about that, too. Thanks, too for the opinion on Boonton Twp. We don't know tons of people in the area and the town feel of Mountain Lakes appeals to me. That was one of my concerns about Mendham, it has a "downtown" but don't blink or you'll miss it. We have seen some properties there and will be looking at some properties in Mt. Lakes this weekend.

Old 01-11-2014, 05:05 PM

1,675 posts, read 2,789,495 times
I know it's way off, but consider the HS programs. Mendham has the IB program in High school; Mountain Lakes has AP - both are highly rated high schools. Mendham HS is probably twice the size as ML. Both are "sporty" towns also (ie, most kids participate in athletics; though there may be more other interests in Mendham since it is bigger). I think you'd make friends in either, but your friends in Mendham can be spread out, making it a drive to do playdates etc.

Old 01-12-2014, 02:35 AM

40 posts, read 155,527 times
We have found Mendham (we are in the township) very friendly. I was worried about whether people would have a snobby attitude prior to moving here, but have made good friends easily. The library runs great programs for young children and we have found this a great way to meet people.

Old 01-12-2014, 04:43 AM

I am telling you , you are gonna feel too isolated in Mendham. THe visual stimulation is a huge factor coming from Bergen COunty. You see your bombarded with sensory things living in Bergen County all day long and you don't even realize it. So Mendham although a great town there is JUST NOT ENOUGH for someone coming from all that action! You will feel like a rich country women. Its just not enough visual stimulation. NOw if you were from lets say ML already then you could do it but your from Bergen County, Mehdham is just too quiet! I never realized this Visual/sensory stimulation was so important until I made the wrong choice to live in the quiet areas. You are also closer to your little rental in Denville , so to change light bulb if the tenant is an idiot would be a lot easier. Your closer to major highways also in ML.

Either town you decide on I wish you Good Luck and please let us know what you picked!! So many don't come back and we never though the ending.

Last edited by stevemorse; 01-12-2014 at 04:51 AM..
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > New Jersey