Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > New Jersey
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 01-11-2014, 11:48 PM

79 posts, read 119,519 times

Advertisements

Anyone renting their place out for Superbowl this year? With all the hotels being booked long in advance, it feels like a pretty good idea.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 01-12-2014, 09:48 PM

1,202 posts, read 3,028,529 times
We live almost a literal stone's throw away from the stadium, and while we entertained the idea for a while we eventually decided it wasn't right for us. For one, we rent. And while our landlord is an imbecile and wouldn't know or care one way or the other, there's a lot of risk involved in general. Secondly we have not seen the demand that has been hyped in the media. A friend of ours has been trying to rent out his unit, a luxury unit no less steps from the train, even including groceries with no success.

If you wanna try it and there isn't much to lose, then hey go for it. We're not going to though. Just crossing fingers we can at least make it to work that week. At the worst, I can work remotely. My lady? Not an option, so here's to hopes she can get into the city. Either way, this isn't doing anything positive for the town as far as I can see.

Old 01-13-2014, 06:43 AM

4,940 posts, read 12,139,900 times
Are the hotels really booked, or is that just what the media keeps telling people. I read that the Best Western motel in West Orange has rates of $1,000 per night which just seems absurd given it's a 30-minute drive to the stadium and not near any direct public transportation.

I have heard and read tons of stories about people renting out their homes for astronomical amounts of money. I have not heard a single story of someone actually taking one of those offers.

Old 01-13-2014, 10:33 AM

79 posts, read 119,519 times
Yeah I toyed with idea of renting my place out, even put it up on a few sites with no success so far. I've seen the prices most places are going for and I think mine is priced pretty reasonable. I've seen a few folks renting entire houses out for 10k a day?!

Old 01-13-2014, 11:10 AM

2,535 posts, read 6,664,217 times
There are literally over 1000 hotels on Kayak that still have rooms for Fri-Monday. Granted it might be the one weekend where staying in Nj is more expensive than staying in NYC. Avg rate for Rutherford hotels is $500/nt.!!!

Old 01-13-2014, 11:15 AM

12,546 posts, read 21,395,557 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by ansky View Post
Are the hotels really booked, or is that just what the media keeps telling people. I read that the Best Western motel in West Orange has rates of $1,000 per night which just seems absurd given it's a 30-minute drive to the stadium and not near any direct public transportation.

I have heard and read tons of stories about people renting out their homes for astronomical amounts of money. I have not heard a single story of someone actually taking one of those offers.
i keep seeing articles about it, and then you read the article and it's about someone listing it for rent. i might throw a listing on Air B&B for my attic bedroom. if someone bites, yay. i could even offer transportation to one of the train stations that you can take to the game. wouldn't be bad for a little bit of coin per night.

Old 01-13-2014, 11:18 AM

4,940 posts, read 12,139,900 times
Out of curiosity I checked the Marriott website to see what hotel rates are going for. These are a few hotels that currently have rooms available for Saturday and Sunday night on Superbowl weekend. There are plenty of others that still have availability, so anyone that tells you all the hotels are booked long in advance doesn't know what they're talking about.

Courtyard Lyndhurst Meadowlands - $689/night

Courtyard Secaucus Meadowlands - $499/night

Fairfield Inn - Times Square Manhattan - $499/night

Courtyard Paramus - $259/night

Courtyard Whippany - $199/night

In summary, anyone thinking they can rent their home for thousands of dollars is completely out of their mind.

Plus, if the Patriots make it to the Superbowl, much of their fan base is just a 2-3 hour car ride away, so there may be less demand for hotel rooms as those people won't be as likely to stay as many nights.

Last edited by ansky; 01-13-2014 at 11:26 AM..

Old 01-13-2014, 11:26 AM

13,399 posts, read 28,714,749 times
Quote:
Out of curiosity I checked the Marriott website to see what hotel rates are going for. These are a few hotels that currently have rooms available for Saturday and Sunday night on Superbowl weekend. There are plenty of others that still have availability, so anyone that tells you all the hotels are booked long in advance doesn't know what they're talking about.

In summary, anyone thinking they can rent their home for thousands of dollars is completely out of their mind.
I agree and that quick buck could come with a super huge headache depending on the rentor...
I just don't think it's going to be all they think it is, who the hell wants to come to NY or NJ in Feb?? Pay thousands of dollars for a ticket and freeze your arse off, not my idea of fun

Old 01-13-2014, 11:41 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by MoeSizlack View Post
Yeah I toyed with idea of renting my place out, even put it up on a few sites with no success so far. I've seen the prices most places are going for and I think mine is priced pretty reasonable. I've seen a few folks renting entire houses out for 10k a day?!
listing, not rented...that's the key. i keep seeing those same stories and like i said...it's always about someone seeking 10k, not someone who is paying it. i think it was just hype. oh well.

Old 01-13-2014, 11:43 AM

Quote:

Plus, if the Patriots make it to the Superbowl, much of their fan base is just a 2-3 hour car ride away, so there may be less demand for hotel rooms as those people won't be as likely to stay as many nights.
well, it has happened in other cities. new orleans folks made a killing off of it. some people want a house instead of a hotel, and it's more than just saturday and sunday night of that weekend. many people will need a place for the entire week, as there are various events the week leading up to the game. i believe it, i just don't think it's as high priced or as widespread as the articles make it sound.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > New Jersey