Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > New Jersey
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 01-17-2014, 10:28 AM

142 posts, read 386,737 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by bradykp View Post
I wonder if anyone lamenting about our right to defend ourselves has taken any sort of self defense training or martial arts?
Not everyone has the time, extra cash, or the physical ability to commit to that. Plus what if you were faced with multiple attackers? Or someone with a knife? Etc...? Unless you are an extremely skilled martial artist, the average person would likely be overwhelmed in those instances.

Then there is the psychological aspect of producing a firearm. Research has shown that something like 92 percent of all attacks are deterred simply by the intended victim producing a firearm. The attacker would likely search out an easier victim rather than continue an attack on someone pointing a gun at them.

Last edited by TheDarkHorse; 01-17-2014 at 10:38 AM..
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 01-17-2014, 10:29 AM

1,743 posts, read 1,654,600 times
Bradykp- are you going to turn into Bruce Lee when you have a gun pointed in your face ? It's easy to talk .

Newtoli- okay but we are not talking about a home robbery, this was when the guys were closing up and leaving. You can't carry in NJ , there was a case denied many times by the judges in NJ already and still get denied in NJ . A judge has to think it makes sense to him for you to carry , doesn't that sound like a communist mentality? Or a dictator to be more exact.

Also did you know if you are not backed into a corner in your house then it is illegal for you to shoot a robber? Or if a robber hurts himself in your house he can sue you . So only when your stuffed into a corner with no escape then can you pull the trigger to defend yourself from a criminal in your home. Yes how great are these laws in NJ .lol

Last edited by aedubber; 01-17-2014 at 10:48 AM..

Old 01-17-2014, 10:45 AM

142 posts, read 386,737 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by newtoli View Post
I have a gun in my home for protection. It was not a difficult process at all. Simply paperwork and a bit of waiting.
We arent referring to the firearms ID/pistol purchase permit. That is relatively easy to get and allows you to purchase and own firearms in your home. We are talking about carry permits, which allow you to carry a handgun in public places. In NJ they are pretty much impossible to get unless you are retired law enforcement or armed security.

Old 01-17-2014, 11:20 AM

11,879 posts, read 14,164,722 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by TheDarkHorse View Post
We arent referring to the firearms ID/pistol purchase permit. That is relatively easy to get and allows you to purchase and own firearms in your home. We are talking about carry permits, which allow you to carry a handgun in public places. In NJ they are pretty much impossible to get unless you are retired law enforcement or armed security.
True, many have fire arms in their own home to defend from intruders. For me, its just my 5.5 years of martial arts and 14" butcher knife I rely upon at home. Go ahead armed Intruder. Once I hit, you will die slowly. I promise you that much .

But outside, its 4 trusted weapons and 12 painful finishing moves which will help me escape from undesirables.

Old 01-17-2014, 11:24 AM

12,546 posts, read 21,359,113 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by aedubber View Post
Bradykp- are you going to turn into Bruce Lee when you have a gun pointed in your face ? It's easy to talk .

Newtoli- okay but we are not talking about a home robbery, this was when the guys were closing up and leaving. You can't carry in NJ , there was a case denied many times by the judges in NJ already and still get denied in NJ . A judge has to think it makes sense to him for you to carry , doesn't that sound like a communist mentality? Or a dictator to be more exact.

Also did you know if you are not backed into a corner in your house then it is illegal for you to shoot a robber? Or if a robber hurts himself in your house he can sue you . So only when your stuffed into a corner with no escape then can you pull the trigger to defend yourself from a criminal in your home. Yes how great are these laws in NJ .lol
no i probably wouldn't. but i also wouldn't reach for my gun if i had one on me if there was a gun pointed at my face.

my point was, all these people concerned with "self defense" probably actually know very little bit about defending themselves. they think they could just carry a gun and solve their dangers.

Old 01-17-2014, 11:27 AM

12,546 posts, read 21,359,113 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by TheDarkHorse View Post
Not everyone has the time, extra cash, or the physical ability to commit to that. Plus what if you were faced with multiple attackers? Or someone with a knife? Etc...? Unless you are an extremely skilled martial artist, the average person would likely be overwhelmed in those instances.

Then there is the psychological aspect of producing a firearm. Research has shown that something like 92 percent of all attacks are deterred simply by the intended victim producing a firearm. The attacker would likely search out an easier victim rather than continue an attack on someone pointing a gun at them.
you've got any evidence of this research?

Old 01-17-2014, 11:30 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by bradykp View Post
no i probably wouldn't. but i also wouldn't reach for my gun if i had one on me if there was a gun pointed at my face.

my point was, all these people concerned with "self defense" probably actually know very little bit about defending themselves. they think they could just carry a gun and solve their dangers.
True. Even if you have a gun, the first thing one MUST do is disarm the thug according to what I learned from martial arts for self defense.

He will see you taking out the gun and instantly pull the trigger. What are the chances he is going to back off if he has one to your head and sees you drawing one, knowing his reaction time will be quicker.

When the thug is on offense, you play defense and force a fumble .

Old 01-17-2014, 11:43 AM

Again it's easy for you guys to sit there and talk about doing martial arts etc. What happens when your at a reach disadvantage? You can shoot a gun from a very long distance but not disarm someone with your hands.

Owning a gun you can take courses for proper use and practice aim etc.

If a criminal knows people can be armed and can carry they would probably think twice about trying to rob someone. I mean would u try to beat someone up that was armed or not armed?

So you remember what happened in shirt hills mall? The guy tried to fight off the thugs so they wouldn't steal his suv. Guess his martial arts didn't work well since he's 6 feet deep now huh?

Bradykp - I see your from west orange, do you remember the guy that was held at gun point with a shotgun at the shoprite in broad daylight I believe on thanksgiving? Yeah he got his suv stolen with a barrel in his face . What about the gang related murder or all the robberies going on in your town.

Old 01-17-2014, 11:50 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by aedubber View Post
So you remember what happened in shirt hills mall? The guy tried to fight off the thugs so they wouldn't steal his suv. Guess his martial arts didn't work well since he's 6 feet deep now huh?
Making fun of murder victims. How sickening .

And you mention gun to your head or gunpoint, which in my opinion means a couple feet at most. Martial arts will work for that range.

Old 01-17-2014, 12:14 PM

If IUOTE=Adi from the Brunswicks;33061809]Making fun of murder victims. How sickening .

And you mention gun to your head or gunpoint, which in my opinion means a couple feet at most. Martial arts will work for that range.[/quote]

I wasn't making fun of it but showing you a realistic example of what can happen trying to fight someone with a gun . Gun point or not , your just talking **** behind a computer which anyone can do. I trained in boxing for 4 years and studied mma from my cousin that trains out of the gracie facility .If I had a gun pointed at me I wouldn't try to be stupid.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > New Jersey