Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > New Jersey
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 01-17-2014, 12:57 PM

12,546 posts, read 21,395,557 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by CaptainNJ View Post
you just have to put the references on the application, I don't think they contact them. if you aren't a brand new resident, it shouldn't be hard to find 2 people to put there (I think it was 2 not 3). I went through the process twice, initially and then when I moved. I thought the "moving" one would be quicker but it seems like they basically treated it as a new one. I think people are exaggerating on the challenges of obtaining a permit (but I believe things can change depending on the town of residence). it takes longer than it should (I think I waited about 3 months for my last one) but it was a pretty simple process and I wasn't denied.

the fact that its impossible to get a carry permit in nj is what I see as the real big problem. oh and it is inconvenient that you need to reapply for every handgun purchase you wish to make.

im also not sure what the rules are regarding keeping a gun in your place of business rather than your home.
the reference usually just fills out a form. it's very basic. i was tempted to write down that a friend of mine is a little crazy...but i didn't want to be the reason a crazy person didn't get his firearm ID.

nah - he's cool. it was a pretty easy process, but it is slow, depending on how quickly your local PD works through it. his took maybe 6 weeks. it could definitely be faster, i would think.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 01-17-2014, 01:03 PM

31,771 posts, read 40,672,588 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by bradykp View Post
the reference usually just fills out a form. it's very basic. i was tempted to write down that a friend of mine is a little crazy...but i didn't want to be the reason a crazy person didn't get his firearm ID.

nah - he's cool. it was a pretty easy process, but it is slow, depending on how quickly your local PD works through it. his took maybe 6 weeks. it could definitely be faster, i would think.
I believe the lady at the police department passed the blame for the time it was taking along to the state or maybe it was the other town since she said she needed something from them.

the good thing is that they don't ask any questions or make any attempt to intimidate you from doing it. I don't remember the first time, but the most recent time it was just a nice lady and it was just a normal transaction. i know my mother in law wants to get one but she is nervous about going to the police department and applying.

at first, i didn't remember my references saying anything to me but now that you mention it i do recall them calling me to ask about filling it out.

Old 01-17-2014, 01:04 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by aedubber View Post
Again it's easy for you guys to sit there and talk about doing martial arts etc. What happens when your at a reach disadvantage? You can shoot a gun from a very long distance but not disarm someone with your hands.

Owning a gun you can take courses for proper use and practice aim etc.

If a criminal knows people can be armed and can carry they would probably think twice about trying to rob someone. I mean would u try to beat someone up that was armed or not armed?

So you remember what happened in shirt hills mall? The guy tried to fight off the thugs so they wouldn't steal his suv. Guess his martial arts didn't work well since he's 6 feet deep now huh?

Bradykp - I see your from west orange, do you remember the guy that was held at gun point with a shotgun at the shoprite in broad daylight I believe on thanksgiving? Yeah he got his suv stolen with a barrel in his face . What about the gang related murder or all the robberies going on in your town.
Listen, I'm fine with the idea of owning a gun and taking the proper training. I'm just pointing out, it's my opinion, and I'd be willing to place a bet if there was ever a way to research this, that a large majority of people who use the self defense argument for guns have never done a shred of self defense training in their lives. And I would exclude firearm training as self defense training. I'm talking actual hand-to-hand combat skills, irrespective of the weapons available.

If people were truly concerned with ability to defend themselves, they'd at least familiarize themselves with the concepts. But no, you see time and time again, people incorrectly assuming that the presence of guns means less crime.

Here....if criminals know people are armed, they would think twice? Well then, explain all the gang related conflicts in cities? I'm darn sure that rival gang members know that the other people have guns....so why is that one of the epicenters of crime? Wouldn't it be a huge deterrance to commit a crime in newark, given the number of criminals we all know have guns there? It's backwards logic. And data really doesn't back it up either.

I'm not familiar with the Lawyer from Hoboken's martial arts skills. It's well documented that I thought it was foolish for him to fight back against multiple people when a gun was pointed at him. But your comment misses the point i was making.

So you believe if he had a gun in his jacket, he'd be above ground right now?

Old 01-17-2014, 01:07 PM

Quote:
I believe the lady at the police department passed the blame for the time it was taking along to the state or maybe it was the other town since she said she needed something from them.

the good thing is that they don't ask any questions or make any attempt to intimidate you from doing it. I don't remember the first time, but the most recent time it was just a nice lady and it was just a normal transaction. i know my mother in law wants to get one but she is nervous about going to the police department and applying.

at first, i didn't remember my references saying anything to me but now that you mention it i do recall them calling me to ask about filling it out.
well, i can't say that i filled the letter i received out immediately and sent it back either. so they mail a letter to 3 people..that's probably 2-3 days depending on location of recipients. assume I get it, fill it out, and mail it back the same day...that's another 2-3 days. you're already at 1 full week for just a reference check.

Old 01-17-2014, 01:16 PM

i don't have the exact dates, but looking at a few things i have handy (email from friend about reference, issue date on card, my memory) it looks like it took pretty close to 3 months give or take. while i wouldn't mind it being faster, it wasn't any kind of emergency so i was fine with it. im not sure if they would care at all if someone said there was a threat to their life and they would like it ASAP. so my main issue with regard to nj is the carry, i think the process to obtain a gun is ok. there are probably people with more complications that may say otherwise.

Old 01-17-2014, 01:17 PM

Quote:
i don't have the exact dates, but looking at a few things i have handy (email from friend about reference, issue date on card, my memory) it looks like it took pretty close to 3 months give or take.
that's excessive. but then again, when my wife got her background check done through Trenton for her NJ Pharmacy license, that took almost 6 months turnaround time. So I can't say I'm surprised.

At least you're not a veteran waiting for your VA claim to be processed!

Old 01-17-2014, 01:18 PM

1,743 posts, read 1,658,053 times
Bradykp- We don't know what the outcome would be . I agree about knowing self defense but when when someone has a gun pointed at you from 10 ft what can you do ? Nothing.

Gangs will be gangs , they kill each other.. But I can bet you if all citizens were armed things would be different.

The real problem is our justice system and until that gets fixed I will keep my opinion the same.

Old 01-17-2014, 01:19 PM

id rather have a gun than be able to roundhouse kick like chuck Norris any day.

Old 01-17-2014, 01:27 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by aedubber View Post
Bradykp- We don't know what the outcome would be . I agree about knowing self defense but when when someone has a gun pointed at you from 10 ft what can you do ? Nothing.

Gangs will be gangs , they kill each other.. But I can bet you if all citizens were armed things would be different.

The real problem is our justice system and until that gets fixed I will keep my opinion the same.
I've made this same exact argument, which is why carrying a gun isn't going to increase your personal safety.

so, gangs will be gangs...that's a clever way to dismiss a real world case study of a plethora of guns being known about, yet violence and crime still going on in those communities.

Old 01-17-2014, 01:31 PM

Quote:
id rather have a gun than be able to roundhouse kick like chuck Norris any day.
i'm too lazy to google it, but i bet there are some awesome chuck norris>gun quites out there!
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > New Jersey