Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > New Jersey
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 01-24-2014, 03:02 PM

2,098 posts, read 3,525,189 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by bradykp View Post
I'd love to see NJ raise the gas tax by a few cents and update the infrastructure. But, if you were here, you'd see that there are numerous projects ongoing right now. 78 express lanes were just completely redone. the interchange at the holland tunnel was completely redone to improve traffic flow, that finished in maybe 2010, and then they moved on to fix the interchange by Tonnelle Ave, which is almost done. They'll be updating the Pulaski Skyway after the Super Bowl. The NJTP below exit 8 is under a massive project as well to finish that section.

I agree about the signage, but I don't really care since virtually everyone has a smartphone now and can use Google Maps, Waze, etc. But the signage could definitely be improved.

High tolls? Which tolls do you consider high in NJ?

What other states is it that have such superior roads to NJ, and have anywhere near the usage of their roads?

I'm just saying...you think NJ infrastructure is so horrendous, yet you moved to California. It made national news when a road in LA was going to be closed for a weekend. No? You have no choices out there...it's a car on a massive road with 5 lanes but you can't go more than 10mph because there is traffic as far as the eye can see. Can i buy a Bus maybe?

Honestly...i'm just saying...pot calling the kettle black when someone in California takes a jab at NJ's infrastructure...

yeah, the pulaski is horrible. It's 100 years old...and it's getting replaced starting this year.
Since when does CA's infastructure get a bad rap?

CA's infastructure is way superior to NJ's. Most of our buildings, bridges, and overpasses are earthquake safe. They closed down the 405 to do a major construction job -- something that would otherwise take years in New Jersey with the unions. In addition they are busy rapidly expanding subway lines to the beach.

The fact is NJ isn't doing anything new to improve itself. And BTW if we have tolls in place (which we do, lots of them) why can't we use that money to repair potholes?
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 01-24-2014, 04:58 PM

3,244 posts, read 5,241,584 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by JERSEY MAN View Post
NJ ranks a close second in the amount of millionaires living in the US. We or they must be doing something good.
N.J. has 2nd-highest percentage of households worth $1 million or more
Ranking states by Millionaires per capita
242,647 households. 7.5% = 1 in 14.
FL has 348,623, but only 4.5%. How many came from NJ, and how many actually still live in NJ, but claim to live in FL?

Old 01-24-2014, 05:54 PM

279 posts, read 461,321 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by MiamiLIFE View Post
The voters of the state are to blame. And now that they have voted in officials and for policies that have put NJ in a very bad financial condition, they start pointing fingers. It's sad that the voters want accountability out of their politicians, but don't take any accountability for the votes they cast. It is indicative of the society as a whole. Everyone blames someone else nowadays. It's easier than to look in the mirror and say, "I did this. I helped create this problem. I voted for these people and policies that broke our state."

Question: Will the voters of NJ make it better or worse going forward?
NJ is run by mob bosses, and frankly there's little people can do about it, other than leave the state. And no, I'm not even joking.

Old 01-24-2014, 08:56 PM

2,098 posts, read 3,525,189 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by bigjake54 View Post
N.J. has 2nd-highest percentage of households worth $1 million or more
Ranking states by Millionaires per capita
242,647 households. 7.5% = 1 in 14.
FL has 348,623, but only 4.5%. How many came from NJ, and how many actually still live in NJ, but claim to live in FL?
ONLY 4.5????

Sounds pretty wealthy to me... You are also forgetting that FL has a larger population?

Old 01-24-2014, 10:20 PM

20,343 posts, read 19,925,039 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Freshflakes757 View Post
ONLY 4.5????

Sounds pretty wealthy to me... You are also forgetting that FL has a larger population?
I wouldn't give a crap how many millionaires live in my vicinity if I wasn't one of them.

Old 01-25-2014, 07:51 AM

12,546 posts, read 21,403,981 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by aedubber View Post
So if i told you the sky was made of gold you would believe me ? But you keep forgetting ALL the other tolls, bridges, and tunnels. Politics pick and choose who gets the contracts unless you think thats false too .
What has been going on in NJ is NOT acceptable by any means and if it dont stop soon NJ will be the new Detroit soon.
i just gave you a window into the GWB finances and it looks fairly costly to maintain, no? you think the lincoln or holland tunnels are cheaper to maintain? they're tunnels - they have ventilation systems that have to run constantly with fail-over systems in place for backup. Since our 9/11 paranoia still exists 13 years later...there are security costs.

The Bayonne bridge needs to be replaced. I think that project is gonna be $2B.

Where do you think that money comes from?

Old 01-25-2014, 07:58 AM

10,222 posts, read 19,213,191 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by doc1 View Post
I wouldn't give a crap how many millionaires live in my vicinity if I wasn't one of them.
I would like many millionaires to move into my town and build/expand very expensive houses to reduce my share of the property tax :-).

Old 01-25-2014, 08:00 AM

12,546 posts, read 21,403,981 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by MiamiLIFE View Post
The voters of the state are to blame. And now that they have voted in officials and for policies that have put NJ in a very bad financial condition, they start pointing fingers. It's sad that the voters want accountability out of their politicians, but don't take any accountability for the votes they cast. It is indicative of the society as a whole. Everyone blames someone else nowadays. It's easier than to look in the mirror and say, "I did this. I helped create this problem. I voted for these people and policies that broke our state."

Question: Will the voters of NJ make it better or worse going forward?
i think you summed it up pretty well. voters will never admit responsibility though...they like to pass it off on to some group of people they pretend just appeared out of nowhere.

Old 01-25-2014, 08:19 AM

10,222 posts, read 19,213,191 times
Quote:
i think you summed it up pretty well. voters will never admit responsibility though...they like to pass it off on to some group of people they pretend just appeared out of nowhere.
Voters do not have power, therefore they do not have responsibility. You get the choice of voting between candidates who are usually both about as bad. And even if there is a good candidate, your vote ranges from being one in several thousand for local races to one in several million for statewide ones. And that's assuming there isn't out-and-out vote fraud. It's simply not enough power to make a difference or impose responsibility.

Old 01-25-2014, 08:25 AM

1,743 posts, read 1,658,721 times
Quote:
i just gave you a window into the GWB finances and it looks fairly costly to maintain, no? you think the lincoln or holland tunnels are cheaper to maintain? they're tunnels - they have ventilation systems that have to run constantly with fail-over systems in place for backup. Since our 9/11 paranoia still exists 13 years later...there are security costs.

The Bayonne bridge needs to be replaced. I think that project is gonna be $2B.

Where do you think that money comes from?
So then you are telling me you control the money and handle all the finances that cost and operate these bridges and tunnels ? If not , then keep believing the sky is made of gold
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > New Jersey