Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > New Jersey
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 01-21-2014, 02:32 PM

31,771 posts, read 40,687,864 times

Advertisements

anyone who lives in nj can consider themselves a new jerseyan. if someone wants to debate nj facts with another resident, then they will have to establish degrees of seniority. like a new resident of 1 month vs a resident of 20 years.

once you move to live outside nj, you are no longer a new jerseyan.

if you are a snowbird or part time resident, you are still a new jerseyan as long as you reside in nj at least 2 months of the year.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 01-21-2014, 03:14 PM

1,202 posts, read 3,029,253 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by CaptainNJ View Post
once you move to live outside nj, you are no longer a new jerseyan.
I'm born and raised in NJ, moved to Philly at 21 and Brooklyn at 22, back to NJ at 28.

When do I get my Jersey card back?

Old 01-21-2014, 04:47 PM

456 posts, read 833,124 times
I don't see how a person that has been living in Jersey for a year at 25 (for a job) is more "New Jerseyan" than a person that grew up his whole life in NJ but now lives in NY.

Old 01-21-2014, 04:58 PM

2,731 posts, read 6,117,555 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by LexWest View Post
Hmmm. I seem to think most New Yorkers like to consider themselves "New Yorkers living in XYZ"—you know because they have that view that they're already "New Yorkers", and nothing else matters.

They'd be Manhattanites. Are you assuming Brooklyn is an independent city like it was 135+ years ago?
Of course they're New Yorkers because they're still part of the same city (and state, for that matter).
Not necessarily. The same way it irritates NYers when someone moves from Ohio as an adult and calls themselves a NYer after living there for 5 minutes many of us don't move somewhere else and do the same thing. I don't think I get to call myself a "Jersey Girl" because I've lived here a few years.

Old 01-21-2014, 05:22 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Irish Eyes View Post
Not necessarily. The same way it irritates NYers when someone moves from Ohio as an adult and calls themselves a NYer after living there for 5 minutes many of us don't move somewhere else and do the same thing. I don't think I get to call myself a "Jersey Girl" because I've lived here a few years.
You are a NJ resident, but not "from NJ" or "NJ native" because you didn't grow up in the state.

Old 01-21-2014, 06:17 PM

2,731 posts, read 6,117,555 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Maast View Post
You are a NJ resident, but not "from NJ" or "NJ native" because you didn't grow up in the state.
Exactly. If I asked I would say 'I live in NJ'. But not because I think NY is so superior to NJ.

Old 01-21-2014, 06:41 PM

2,632 posts, read 4,049,782 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Irish Eyes View Post
I don't think you understood what I meant. New Yorkers would still call themselves "New Yorkers" even if they moved to NC, FL, etc. New Yorkers are "New Yorkers" no matter where they are.

Old 01-21-2014, 08:02 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by LexWest View Post
I don't think you understood what I meant. New Yorkers would still call themselves "New Yorkers" even if they moved to NC, FL, etc. New Yorkers are "New Yorkers" no matter where they are.
Doesn't that apply to all people?

Old 01-21-2014, 08:25 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Maast View Post
I don't see how a person that has been living in Jersey for a year at 25 (for a job) is more "New Jerseyan" than a person that grew up his whole life in NJ but now lives in NY.
if you aren't living in new jersey, then you aren't a new jerseyan. what else do you think being a "new jerseyan" means? its not in your blood, its a geographic location. a piece of land. if you don't live within its borders, you aren't a new jerseyan.

Old 01-21-2014, 08:26 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by brokenaperture View Post
I'm born and raised in NJ, moved to Philly at 21 and Brooklyn at 22, back to NJ at 28.

When do I get my Jersey card back?
have you been living in nj for 2+ months now? if so, you can get your jersey card back!
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > New Jersey