Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
2,500,000 members. Thank you!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > New Jersey
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 01-22-2014, 08:12 PM

3 posts, read 6,055 times

Advertisements

Starting a new job with a commute to Bedminster. I am looking to rent in the Flanders/Mt. Olive or Hackettstown areas. The commute is primarily Route 206. I am curious about how the traffic is, and if this area would be desirable to live in. Hackettstown is a bit further, but seems to have more going on.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 01-22-2014, 09:25 PM

882 posts, read 1,656,350 times
What's your price range? Morristown has a lot going on and is pretty close to Bedminster via 287, but is pricey. Flanders/Mt. Olive are primarily residential, though most of the big name restaurants and stores are close. Hackettstown has more of a downtown but is pretty far away. Rush hour traffic on 206 is horrible, especially the traffic light in Flanders by the Tractor Supply Company. Hackettstown can be pretty congested too.

Old 01-23-2014, 12:31 AM

I'm originally from Sussex County and so is my girlfriend. We are more interested in the Flanders/Hackettstown areas because they are closer to our families and friends than places further east such as Morristown. We definitely prefer the more rural feel but with the convenience of shops/restaurants that you get in places like Hackettstown.

My biggest concern is really the commute on Route 206 between Flanders and Bedminster. I will be commuting to basically the area right where Routes 206, 78, and 287 meet. I figure Hackettstown is approximately 10 minutes further than Flanders, and that this part of the commute wouldn't really have much congestion. Any thoughts on that?

As far as budget goes, haven't really fully thought about that yet, but would prefer to stay within $1,200 for a 1-br apartment.

Old 01-23-2014, 07:15 AM

1,843 posts, read 3,038,461 times
Stay away from Mansfield apartments, they are bad news. My husband (before we were married) used to live in Budd Lake, and I would take a back road to 206 & take it from there to Bedminster when I stayed over. It wasn't too bad...206 does tend to build up though. I think a commute from Hackettstown will take more time than you think. You will most likely have to go over Schooley's Mountain which is terrible in the winter.

Old 01-23-2014, 09:13 AM

12,283 posts, read 35,536,224 times
A worst case estimate on a heavy traffic day from H'town to Bedminster is about 40 minutes (snowstorms not included). Shave off 15 if living in Flanders around the new Weis. There are back ways to go to avoid the backup between Chester/Peapack/Gladstone. LMK if you'd like those directions.

Old 01-23-2014, 09:16 AM

12,283 posts, read 35,536,224 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by jrsydevil82 View Post
Stay away from Mansfield apartments, they are bad news. My husband (before we were married) used to live in Budd Lake, and I would take a back road to 206 & take it from there to Bedminster when I stayed over. It wasn't too bad...206 does tend to build up though. I think a commute from Hackettstown will take more time than you think. You will most likely have to go over Schooley's Mountain which is terrible in the winter.
They could also go 46 to Reservoir Rd which will eventually land you on Rt 513 and Coleman Road. I'd suggest this route over Schooley's Mtn.

Old 01-23-2014, 06:08 PM

Thanks everyone for the comments and advice. I am definitely interested in hearing about any of the back roads that you can take to avoid Route 206 congestion areas.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > New Jersey