Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > New Jersey
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 01-23-2014, 04:03 AM

7 posts, read 15,541 times

Advertisements

We are a couple- in our mid early 30's and 40's and pregnant with our first child. We are decidedly city people, having lived in Chicago, DC, SF, and even NYC for a sort time before our current post in Frankfurt Germany. But the hubby is being transferred to the home office in Park Ridge. We will probably rent for at least a year since we are moving in month 6 of the pregnancy.

Looking at Hoboken, as we have heard great things and enjoyed a weekend we spent there a few years ago, but we hear it skews young. We'd like to live within walking distance of PATH since he will take the car to work and I am a huge fan of public transport.

When I go back to work it will probably be in NYC as that is where my industry is.

We'd like to keep his commute under an hour (under normal circumstances). Does anyone have any input? Other suggestions? Is Jersey City too far?

I know costs are high in the area- but we could do up to $4000 a month in rent (including parking). We also have a dog (small pit) and a cat- so that is a consideration when finding an apartment to rent.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 01-23-2014, 05:40 AM

1,174 posts, read 1,748,065 times
Jersey city sounds like the place for you. the age range is older than hoboken( ~mid 30s), the downtown areas(grove - which i recommend, Newport, Exchange place) are all very close to the path. Also its easy to park a car. In your price range you can afford the luxury buildings which are very nice, close to the path (grove point is right at the path) and have great amenities like nice views of nyc, gym, pool....). Good luck.

Commute wise, i think your looking at about an hour.

BTW i love Frankfurt!!!

Old 01-25-2014, 09:48 AM

17 posts, read 41,562 times
The Closter, Northvale, Harrington Park area is super safe and about a 20 minute commute to Park Ridge.

Old 01-25-2014, 06:18 PM

777 posts, read 2,380,229 times
If you prefer the city, I would recommend downtown Jersey City or Hoboken. You will hit some traffic going to Park Ridge though. Figure about 45 mins to an hour.

Just a heads up, its hard to find rentals that allow dogs and even harder if its a pit bull.

The surrounding towns of Park Ridge are more laid back, suburban towns. Don't think they are a good fit if you are used to the hustle and bustle of a city.

Old 01-25-2014, 10:33 PM

88,560 posts, read 84,755,078 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by steveotm View Post
The Closter, Northvale, Harrington Park area is super safe and about a 20 minute commute to Park Ridge.
But none of those towns are anything close to a "city".

Old 01-26-2014, 05:29 PM

2 posts, read 2,452 times
just live in park ridge great town schools are top notch and the town itself is so much better then others mentioned here hobokon lol give me a break

Old 01-26-2014, 05:30 PM

88,560 posts, read 84,755,078 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by sirmashie View Post
just live in park ridge great town schools are top notch and the town itself is so much better then others mentioned here hobokon lol give me a break
Hate to break it to you, but Park Ridge hardly has a city feel to it.

Old 01-26-2014, 06:27 PM

3,617 posts, read 3,883,042 times
If what you want is walkable density and apartment (or house, the town has both) living Nyack is really nice little town with more of that feel under 20 minutes from Park Ridge. Go across the Tappan Zee to Westchester there is Tarrytown which is also a small but dense town (although I don't like it as much as Nyack personally) where you would have the metro north train to NYC.

If you want something that is truly urban and not just a dense urban-flavored town, I think for a commute to Park Ridge White Plains in Westchester County is the way to go over urban NJ, especially given that you're a bit old for Hoboken and commuting a bit north for Jersey City. Faster commute to Park Ridge than urban New Jersey, the metro north express from White Plains runs pretty fast, and you have both a decent critical mass of people and real city density and amenities in the urban core. Honestly I think urban Jersey makes zero sense for you and if you don't like any of those towns your best option would be to potentially move into NYC itself and do a reverse commute, not Jersey City or Hoboken.

Old 01-28-2014, 09:49 PM

1,202 posts, read 3,029,253 times
Ridgewood may also be a decent option as you'd have a nice walkable downtown that would give you a bit of the city feel, an easy drive to Park Ridge and the train station for getting to the city.

Old 01-31-2014, 08:11 AM

696 posts, read 906,647 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by thejvd View Post
We are a couple- in our mid early 30's and 40's and pregnant with our first child. We are decidedly city people, having lived in Chicago, DC, SF, and even NYC for a sort time before our current post in Frankfurt Germany. But the hubby is being transferred to the home office in Park Ridge. We will probably rent for at least a year since we are moving in month 6 of the pregnancy.

Looking at Hoboken, as we have heard great things and enjoyed a weekend we spent there a few years ago, but we hear it skews young. We'd like to live within walking distance of PATH since he will take the car to work and I am a huge fan of public transport.

When I go back to work it will probably be in NYC as that is where my industry is.

We'd like to keep his commute under an hour (under normal circumstances). Does anyone have any input? Other suggestions? Is Jersey City too far?

I know costs are high in the area- but we could do up to $4000 a month in rent (including parking). We also have a dog (small pit) and a cat- so that is a consideration when finding an apartment to rent.
There will be major roadworks ongoing (the Pulaski Skyway closure) over the next two years which will make commuting from Jersey City/Hoboken to Park Ridge an ordeal. Currently, it would be 1.5 hours each way at best. I used to commute to Park Ridge from Rutherford; depending on whether I took Route 17 or the Garden State Parkway it took me from 45 minutes to 1 hour and 15 minutes. I would suggest you consider Montclair. It is kind of a Hoboken for grown ups and is relatively close to the Garden State Parkway which is the best way in and out of Park Ridge. Alles Gute!

Last edited by sonetlumiere; 01-31-2014 at 08:22 AM..
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > New Jersey