Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > New Jersey
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 01-27-2014, 01:46 PM

5 posts, read 33,502 times

Advertisements

Hi!

Here's my story:

I was with a publishing company for 3 months before being laid off. I applied for unemployment benefits, had my phone interview, and the claims examiner told me my funds would be dispersed into my account within 2-3 business days. Those days go by and I receive nothing. When I look up my claim inquiry, I see

"Your claim has an indefinite disqualification. Please follow the instructions on your non-monetary determination letter".

My question is this: If I was laid off from my former employer and they have not contested the claim (they haven't -- many other former employees have received benefits), what are the possible reasons why I would be denied weekly benefits? I've researched online but have come up with no answers that would affect judgment. I'm going to an Unemployment Center tomorrow to hopefully turn up more answers, but I'm seriously confused by this.

Thanks in advance
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 01-27-2014, 02:06 PM

880 posts, read 1,250,981 times
I had this once. Mine was due to having received unused vacation pay which initially was counted as severance. But after several conversations with an assigned agent, I was paid including the missed weeks. I believe in my situation being nice played a role. Have you actually received the letter (it may contain the reason)? If not, it may not be worth going - they will probably tell you that you'll have to set up an appointment and wait. The only concern about your situation for me is that I think you have to be employed for at least 16 weeks, either way you'll know soon.

Old 01-27-2014, 02:47 PM

1,163 posts, read 1,807,339 times
From state of NJ website:
To be eligible for unemployment benefits, you must have worked at least 20 base weeks in covered employment or you must have earned $7,300.

If you filed in January 2014, your unemployment compensation is calculated based on your employment during the period of Oct. 1 2012 to Sept. 30, 2013.
If that doesn't work for you, they look at January 1, 2013 to December 31, 2013.
If that doesn't work for you, then they look at April 1, 2013 to Date of Claim

Everything is clearly stated at Department of Labor and Workforce Development | What is Needed to Qualify? Did You Earn Enough?

Old 01-27-2014, 03:43 PM

Hi all, and thanks for the replies! This was not the only job I had throughout the year and I did make more than that amount between two jobs held, unless I had to make at least 7,300 from one job?

I have not received the letter yet (it's been more than a week), but figured if I went they might be able to pull up my claim for review. No?

Old 01-27-2014, 07:51 PM

4,073 posts, read 8,976,235 times
Wait another week for the letter. Don't overestimate their ability to be helpful.

Old 01-29-2014, 10:53 AM

Just to update: I have still not received any kind of letter of determination. I have looked into NJ Law, have exhausted website searches, and can not come up with a single idea as to why I have a non-monetary determination. I have done everything exactly as they've said, as they've wanted. I feel like I've been kicked in the gut while down.

I tried claiming my weekly benefits earlier today and was told it could not be processed over the internet, so I called. When I called, it told me I had to speak with a representative and that (go figure!) all reps were busy. No idea what to do. Getting desperate.

Old 01-29-2014, 10:59 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by ieee488 View Post
From state of NJ website:
To be eligible for unemployment benefits, you must have worked at least 20 base weeks in covered employment or you must have earned $7,300.
Good find, did they change it? I thought it was 16

Old 01-29-2014, 11:03 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by abro View Post

I tried claiming my weekly benefits earlier today and was told it could not be processed over the internet, so I called. When I called, it told me I had to speak with a representative and that (go figure!) all reps were busy. No idea what to do. Getting desperate.
Just stay on hold. Took me 2.5 hours once. You need to find out when the letter was sent. If it wasn't, make sure they verify address. The letter may have a phone appointment time to discuss this with you, at least mine did. This is a total pain in the A$$, and ironically you have to work very hard to get your unemployment insurance. Were you working before the 3 months at this employer?

Old 01-29-2014, 03:07 PM

Hmm, no hold time -- they just say to try calling back at a later time. Yeah, I'm beginning to notice how ridiculous this process is! I worked for a retailer previous to this job and definitely cross the monetary threshold. Since applying for unemployment I've been applying to jobs and keeping records of them as told.

I'm going to go there tomorrow to see what's going on with anything/everything. They should at least be able to tell me why I can't currently claim benefits without speaking to a representative.

Thanks so much for your help thus far! I'm going to keep updating this in case in helps other people in a similar situation. Tough times, tough times.

Old 01-29-2014, 05:34 PM

1,163 posts, read 1,807,339 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by aedubber View Post
Wow seems like your putting all this effort into collecting benefits but i bet you havent put in this effort looking for a new job huh . How ironic
I would be doing the same.

All of us who have jobs pay taxes for unemployment compensation.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > New Jersey