Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > New Jersey
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 01-30-2014, 11:43 AM

150 posts, read 646,236 times

Advertisements

It's the jinx'ed ca2ny poster again

We had a coat of polyurethane put on the hardwood floors, before fully moving in. In order to let the smell out, had opened all the windows for a day (no one was sleeping in the home, so it was OK for it to get cold). At the end of the day, when most of the smell was out, I started closing windows. Two of the windows refused to close beyond 75%. The top portion of the double hung window, slides up and down. The bottom portion only comes down about 75% and then is stuck, leaving about 6 inches of gap at the bottom.

I applied a bit of force, but not too much, and it did not help. Then the contractor/worker also applied force, a bit more than what I applied, but that also did not work. We all were afraid that applying more force might damage the window, or break it.

We have looked at all the edges... there do not appear to be any hidden pegs, switches or knobs to enable the window to slide down.

I called Pella customer service, and they have VERY POLITE customer service reps in Iowa. However, they pass on my request to their NJ scheduling office in Caldwell, NJ. I was told that this office coordinates scheduling ort inspection and repair for all of NJ, Staten Island, etc.

The NJ office told me the below.
1. First available service date is March 1st, more than a month away! I have taped some cardboard and placed towels, but I am sure a LOT of heat is being lost. Waiting a month, I might lose many hundred dollars in extra energy cost!

2. I was quoted $130 to come and "survey" at 3 windows. Surveying additional windows would cost more.

3. A repair quote would be provided after survey.
I have never needed a window repair, so I don't know, but can't I call some local repairman, the way one calls a plumber or electrician? Any referrals in Monmouth county area?

Or are only Pella authorized technicians allowed to service Pella windows?
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 01-31-2014, 07:55 AM

I actually got a March 7th appt with Pella authorized technician, more than a month away. Any recommendations for a local repairman?

Old 01-31-2014, 09:44 AM

2,105 posts, read 6,660,438 times
Did you try applying some silicone spray lube to the tracks and working the window up and down as far as it will go? You could also try some liquid soap on those tracks.

Do you have the removable window dividers that may be out of place and getting hung up?

Quote:
It's the jinx'ed ca2ny poster again
I'm not standing next to you in a thunderstorm.

Old 01-31-2014, 01:53 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by rscalzo View Post
Did you try applying some silicone spray lube to the tracks and working the window up and down as far as it will go? You could also try some liquid soap on those tracks.

Do you have the removable window dividers that may be out of place and getting hung up?
I was going to try applying some WD-40, but haven't had time yet. Given that the official technician won't come for more than a month, I will give the lubricant idea a try this weekend.

Quote:
I'm not standing next to you in a thunderstorm.

Old 01-31-2014, 02:36 PM

696 posts, read 906,378 times
If they are the sort that open in for cleaning, open them in and close them again; it's possible that they weren't properly closed when last cleaned/opened in. I'd also recommend you use silicone spray rather than WD-40 as the latter can stain and possible damage vinyl window sashes.

Old 01-31-2014, 04:04 PM

2,105 posts, read 6,660,438 times
Don't use WD40. That is a rust preventative and a water displacement fluid. Use ordinary hand or dish soap. the stuff is slippery as hell and won't stain and washes away easily.

Old 05-09-2014, 08:35 PM

1 posts, read 6,999 times
Default Can't close double hung window

I hope you've gotten you window closed by now! I had the same problem and continue to have it periodically. There are two grey metal "L's" that stick out from either side of the bottom window and fit in the track. The L's get bent, and the window is impossible to close. I have three times now called Pella to get replacement L's. they send them at no cost! I take out the window, unscrew the bent L's , screw the new ones in, and Voila! I went online to see if there was a class action suit against Pelle for this defect in design. I don't see anything.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > New Jersey
View detailed profiles of: