U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > New Jersey
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 01-31-2014, 09:24 PM

14 posts, read 107,391 times

Advertisements

got this offer to work in northern part of Trenton.
around 110k before tax.
we are family of 3 with 1 year of son.
want to know our option.
1. rent 2/2 or 3/2 townhouse in towns like hopewell
2. buy a SFH around $400k.

The kids is still young, so school district is not priority but will consider it for resale value.
want a town that is safe to run outside at night around 10pm, close to train station (cause wife want to have easy access to NY, and commute within 30-45 minutes to work for me one way in rush hour.

any suggestion is appreciated.
Rate this post positively Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 01-31-2014, 09:33 PM

11,882 posts, read 12,926,216 times
How about East Brunswick. A 45 minute bus ride into Manhattan and half an hour to the northern part of Trenton.

Old 02-01-2014, 08:15 AM

324 posts, read 513,221 times
Where are you moving from? I'd suggest renting before buying so you can get a feel for which areas you like. Also, in case you decide you don't like this job or area, it would be easier to move.

I think all of the towns north or northeast of Trenton are safe enough to run outside at night. Any part of East Brunswick to Trenton in half an hour seems optimistic, especially during rush hour.

Old 02-01-2014, 08:16 AM

1,153 posts, read 1,615,884 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Adi from the Brunswicks View Post
How about East Brunswick. A 45 minute bus ride into Manhattan and half an hour to the northern part of Trenton.
Half an hour from East Brunswick to Trenton? At rush hour?
Not going to happen. It is more like 45+ minutes. Which isn't bad as commutes go.

Old 02-01-2014, 10:44 AM

14 posts, read 107,391 times
thanks.
renting is our first option. but I think under current housing market, buying might be a better financial decision. I don't expect us to change job within 5 years. that's one of the reason we consider this offer.

we are in Florida now.
we already know that we are probably going to miss the weather, relatively cheap housing as well as tax, even though FL has high property tax.
in exchange for better job opportunity, accessing to big city, much better education system and maybe four seasons

I guess the only concern is whether the current offer is good enough to support our family.
how much it will cost to rent a 3/2 townhouse in those safer towns. say, hopewell, princenton, west windsor, those are towns seems nice based on my research but also looks more expensive.
what about lawrenceville and hamilton?

Old 02-01-2014, 02:10 PM

1,153 posts, read 1,615,884 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by nhyda View Post
thanks.
I think under current housing market, buying might be a better financial decision.
I strongly disagree. You need to gain a good understanding of the real estate situation here in NJ.

Old 02-01-2014, 02:15 PM

1,041 posts, read 2,831,453 times
Quote:
thanks.
renting is our first option. but I think under current housing market, buying might be a better financial decision. I don't expect us to change job within 5 years. that's one of the reason we consider this offer.

we are in Florida now.
we already know that we are probably going to miss the weather, relatively cheap housing as well as tax, even though FL has high property tax.
in exchange for better job opportunity, accessing to big city, much better education system and maybe four seasons

I guess the only concern is whether the current offer is good enough to support our family.
how much it will cost to rent a 3/2 townhouse in those safer towns. say, hopewell, princenton, west windsor, those are towns seems nice based on my research but also looks more expensive.
I wouldnt buy in your situation. You/your wife may not like the area. You may not like how much more expensive everything costs. I would RENT if i were you. Rent a townhome, see if you like it. After a year, if you still do, then consider buying.

Old 02-02-2014, 06:15 AM

324 posts, read 513,221 times
Quote:
The offer is good enough to support your family assuming you don't live too extravagantly. I'm not too familiar with those towns, but West Windsor, Princeton, and Hopewell have really good schools, so that may be why they're more expensive than Lawrenceville and Hamilton. I think renting a 3/2 townhouse would be around $2000-$2500 a month.

Old 02-02-2014, 01:02 PM

1,450 posts, read 3,185,984 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by JerseyStrong1 View Post
The offer is good enough to support your family assuming you don't live too extravagantly. I'm not too familiar with those towns, but West Windsor, Princeton, and Hopewell have really good schools, so that may be why they're more expensive than Lawrenceville and Hamilton. I think renting a 3/2 townhouse would be around $2000-$2500 a month.
I believe your estimates are a little on the low side. I checked several reliable sites and they show a few 3 br/2.5 ba townhomes for rent in West Windsor which are listed at $2600 to $3000 a month. There are also several 2 br/2 ba townhomes which rent for the $2000 to $2500 range.

HTH
KoalaNJ

Old 02-02-2014, 03:08 PM

16,033 posts, read 24,806,789 times
Don't limit your search to NJ, look in PA, the Yardley area is beautiful, good schools and in your price range.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > New Jersey