Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > New Jersey
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 12-01-2007, 08:38 PM

168 posts, read 500,290 times

Advertisements

I respect your opinion regarding the housing market, but here is my take. Let's forget about the media for a moment. Are you saying that people who need to sell their homes should hold the price line and wait for buyers to flinch first? I am fairly sure that this is not how the markets work.
For years we have been watching the price of homes run up at unprecedented levels. Economic data has shown that this appreciation has outpaced salaries by a wide margin. Then we have the lending debacle. The market MUST and WILL correct. Those who have been in their homes for a while will be fine. Those who over borrowed may need to sell. They will sell for what buyers are willing to pay, otherwise, they will hand the keys over to the bank.
I am all for being positive. I believe that this correction is necessary and the sooner it occurs, the better for the economy.

Quote:
Originally Posted by apvbguy View Post
if economists had any real insights they'd be acting on them rather telling you about them, I give them very little credibility
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 12-01-2007, 09:38 PM

12,283 posts, read 35,690,922 times
Quote:
what you show by comments like selling an over inflated market is that you really don't understand how money works.

take heed of your own advice about insults, kort.

Old 12-01-2007, 09:39 PM

12,283 posts, read 35,690,922 times
Quote:
even the so called best economists at the Fed, you know the US Federal reserve rarely gets it right, so you go on buying whatever the talking heads are selling.
what you show by comments like selling an over inflated market is that you really don't understand how money works. In very simple terms a market is balanced when buyers and sellers come to terms, so our real estate market can be viewed as a bit out of balance but properties are trading owners and properly priced homes do sell quickly, so that comment is not borne from any real facts.
Aren't you a Mod here? please abide by your own rule and tone it down a bit insults like this: "I'll bet you believed Kenneth lay and Jeffrey skilling too"
are not necessary, attack my opinions not me.
oh, and BTW, I'm not buying or selling, so I have no dog in this hunt. I just calls 'em as I sees 'em.

Old 12-02-2007, 08:11 AM

3,269 posts, read 9,935,547 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by tahiti View Post
take heed of your own advice about insults, kort.
Oh no, apvbguy is Kort? I can totally see it, LOL.

Old 12-03-2007, 03:29 PM

2,689 posts, read 3,966,413 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by tbone65 View Post
I respect your opinion regarding the housing market, but here is my take. Let's forget about the media for a moment. Are you saying that people who need to sell their homes should hold the price line and wait for buyers to flinch first? I am fairly sure that this is not how the markets work.
For years we have been watching the price of homes run up at unprecedented levels. Economic data has shown that this appreciation has outpaced salaries by a wide margin. Then we have the lending debacle. The market MUST and WILL correct. Those who have been in their homes for a while will be fine. Those who over borrowed may need to sell. They will sell for what buyers are willing to pay, otherwise, they will hand the keys over to the bank.
I am all for being positive. I believe that this correction is necessary and the sooner it occurs, the better for the economy.

if a seller has no reason to make an immediate sale, he doesn't need to chase the market, if history can offer a clue, if he holds on prices will recover. If everything dumps, he'll sell for less but his replacement will also cost less, so unless an owner plans on cashing out and not buying anything else, he has no pressure to sell at a lower level

Old 12-03-2007, 03:56 PM

45 posts, read 152,836 times
Quote:
if a seller has no reason to make an immediate sale, he doesn't need to chase the market, if history can offer a clue, if he holds on prices will recover. If everything dumps, he'll sell for less but his replacement will also cost less, so unless an owner plans on cashing out and not buying anything else, he has no pressure to sell at a lower level

and there's no pressure to buy at these ridiculously high prices for some really old homes as well ...

Old 12-03-2007, 04:39 PM

2,689 posts, read 3,966,413 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Sarah07080 View Post
and there's no pressure to buy at these ridiculously high prices for some really old homes as well ...
then the answer for you is to wait.
someone will be right and someone will be wrong and since none of us have that crytal ball that tells all, we'll just have to wait and see.

Old 12-05-2007, 06:54 AM

14 posts, read 72,696 times
The article below ties back to my post from 11-30-2007. What still gets me is that many sellers are still in denial about the stability of New Jersey's real estate market. The prices are holding because sellers do not want to drop prices and buyers are waiting for prices to drop. The standoff is going to end badly for one of them. I think it will be the sellers that are going to move first.

N.J. Subprime Woes Worse Than Nation's

Old 12-05-2007, 08:35 AM

222 posts, read 1,026,053 times
The problem is simple in my eyes: home prices have increased past the point that first time home buyers can get into the market. First timers can't afford much more then $300k. So anything above that price point is going to be someone "trading up." Well, in order to trade up, you have to sell your house first. If your house is listed at more then $300k, then you're eliminating first time home buyers and only selling to others "trading up." That won't work forever which is what we're now seeing.

Those who wanted to trade up, did. Those who still want to trade up, can't. And those first time home buyers who want to get in, can't... as they have seen interest rates increase by 1 whole pct point in the past year with very little drop in prices.

Old 12-07-2007, 10:07 PM

27 posts, read 106,450 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by krusher View Post
The problem is simple in my eyes: home prices have increased past the point that first time home buyers can get into the market. First timers can't afford much more then $300k. So anything above that price point is going to be someone "trading up." Well, in order to trade up, you have to sell your house first. If your house is listed at more then $300k, then you're eliminating first time home buyers and only selling to others "trading up." That won't work forever which is what we're now seeing.

Those who wanted to trade up, did. Those who still want to trade up, can't. And those first time home buyers who want to get in, can't... as they have seen interest rates increase by 1 whole pct point in the past year with very little drop in prices.

Perfectly said...my real estate agent told me this very thing last night.

This is why the first homeowner is the most important part of the chain.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > New Jersey