Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > New Jersey
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 01-16-2014, 02:41 AM
PSF PSF started this thread

6 posts, read 7,277 times

Advertisements

Hi,

I have a 4 yr old son, with Autism, mild-moderate functioning, with sensory issues. We are relocating to the Princeton area this summer, following a job offer I've received. I'd like to know from parents experience, which school is recommended, both public and private? Also, English is not his native language (we do not live in the US).

TIA
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 01-16-2014, 03:25 PM

3,021 posts, read 5,825,332 times
You can expect good services from West Windsor-Plainsboro school district, which includes towns West Windsor, Plainsboro & Princeton Junction.

Perhaps someone else can comment on services in the Princeton school district?

I suggest renting for the first year just in case you need to switch school districts. Getting services for a special needs child can be quite challenging.

One issue is that no school district will even speak to you until you can show them an apartment lease that proves you live within their district. Rent for awhile unti you're sure that the district is providing the services your child needs. If you're renting it makes it easier to pick up stakes & move to another school district.

Old 01-16-2014, 03:27 PM

PS - many houses in this area have mailing addresses that do not reflect the school district, i.e. a large part of West Windsor has a Princeton mailing address, but is not in the Princeton school district.

Before you sign a lease be sure to call the school district to be sure your home is actually in their district.

Old 01-17-2014, 05:37 AM

2,050 posts, read 5,923,161 times
Eden Autism is in Princeton. Contact them and ask the questions.

Old 01-18-2014, 07:48 AM

Thank you! I will call them.

Old 01-18-2014, 07:50 AM

Thank you! I'll cal them this week.

Old 01-18-2014, 07:52 AM

Hi,

Are there any specific schools that you recommend, or which you know are not recommended?

Thanks

Old 01-18-2014, 06:27 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by PSF View Post
Hi,

Are there any specific schools that you recommend, or which you know are not recommended?

Thanks
West Windsor-Plainsboro school district "should" give you the services. Nothing is certain until you sign an apartment lease, register your child, go through testing, etc. & find out what the district offers.

They may have an in-district program, or if they can't handle the child than they may place the child in an out-of-district program (usually a private therapeutic school), some of which are an hour or more bus ride each way.

It costs the district a lot to have a special needs child on the books. Some districts choose to disobey the law & refuse to offer services in the hope that the parents will give up & move out of the district.

Years ago we lived in a district that refused to offer services. We moved to WW & they did for the most part obey the law in offering services.

Again, the problem is that it's impossible to get info from any school district until you have proof that you reside within their district. School districts see a parent coming with a special needs kid & they run for the hills.

A woman who worked as a parent advocate for special needs kids had told us that school districts hate having special needs kids on their books. They'll try anything to get the parents to move to another district.

Old 01-22-2014, 07:08 PM

249 posts, read 823,538 times
I have a friend who founded Welcome to the Healing Hands of Christ Website. Barbara would be an excellent source of information for you. She lives in West Windsor and works in Princeton.

Old 02-03-2014, 11:28 PM

Thank you for your honest reply.
From my few email correspondence with Princeton school district I felt that they were pretty welcoming. I'll also try WW as well.

Thanks again.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > New Jersey