Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > New Jersey
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 02-05-2014, 07:07 AM

396 posts, read 707,965 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by rochie View Post
My sister is looking for somewhere to move to in NJ (she currently lives out of state). She and her husband own a business where they really could live anywhere and don't need to commute to NYC. The northern part of the state is more appealing to her though since it is closer to family and friends.

Other than that, her only requirements are a beautiful house for the money (650k, around 3k sq ft, and move in ready) and great public schools. She says she wants to avoid the "rat race" feeling but does not want to compromise on school districts.

Where should she be looking?
That's the catch 22, I think. The better schools attract the rat-racey type parents.

We live in Millburn and my sister does as well. Between us we have kids ranging from 7-18 and our kids went to different elementary schools. Bottom line--there is some truly great teaching that happens here, especially in elementary school. Creative, solid, with wonderful support---but this is also rat-race central.

My friend lives in Cedar Grove and I think her kids sound well supported and as though they are getting a pretty good education. Not nearly as thorough as what I see my kids getting, but not bad. But I do see her children as more relaxed and the mamas too.

I'd avoid rat-race corridor: millburn, summit, chatham, madison. Other than that--I think she will be fine in locating a happy medium in the surrounding areas.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 02-05-2014, 07:22 AM

12,283 posts, read 35,677,666 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by turtleroger View Post
we live in montgomery, nj and it seems to fit your criteria. good school system, laid back atmosphere. depending on where they want to go in northern nj, it can be a bit of a hike though. mendham seems very nice, too. we looked there a few years ago before deciding to move south rather than west.
IMHO Montgomery schools are the epitome of "rat race" like a Millburn.

Old 02-05-2014, 07:42 AM

20,550 posts, read 17,683,966 times
If you want excellent schools you can't avoid rat races. People who strive for excellence are always in the rat races.

Old 02-05-2014, 08:12 AM

31,771 posts, read 40,672,588 times
two of my neighbors got new cars within the past week. a bmw x5 and a range rover. now I have to go get a Bentley.

Old 02-05-2014, 08:33 AM

20,550 posts, read 17,683,966 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by CaptainNJ View Post
two of my neighbors got new cars within the past week. a bmw x5 and a range rover. now I have to go get a Bentley.
That happens a lot in NNJ. Some HS kids are afraid of their parents dropping them off in a Honda because all the other kids have their mommy in a Bimmer dropping them off.

Old 02-05-2014, 08:44 AM

3,984 posts, read 7,073,485 times
Waldwick & Midland Park. Good schools, small town feeling, not as crowded as other parts of B.C.

Old 02-05-2014, 08:53 AM

31,771 posts, read 40,672,588 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by vision33r View Post
That happens a lot in NNJ. Some HS kids are afraid of their parents dropping them off in a Honda because all the other kids have their mommy in a Bimmer dropping them off.
one of my neighbors that just got her license got herself a 40k bmw at 17. pretty nice car. if both me and my wife wanted to keep up with these jones's it would cost me too much money. so I just keep my wife upgraded while I keep things cheap for myself.

Old 02-05-2014, 09:14 AM

880 posts, read 1,250,981 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by CaptainNJ View Post
Take $2-3K, buy the oldest, dirtiest Harley you can find on Craigslist. Use a hacksaw to remove the mufflers. Then drop your kid off at school on that - not only they won't be able to top you, but you will also force them into spending a few hundred dollars on professionally cleaning those soiled fine European leather car seats.

Old 02-05-2014, 09:32 AM

68 posts, read 226,396 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by tahiti View Post
IMHO Montgomery schools are the epitome of "rat race" like a Millburn.
any top school is going to be competitive. when i said "laid back atmosphere" i was referring to living here and not the school system. from what i understand, people don't want the train station re-opened because it would bring in more people from nyc. fwiw i grew up in short hills, graduated from millburn high school, and still have family living there so have some basis for comparison.

Old 02-05-2014, 09:35 AM

12,283 posts, read 35,677,666 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by turtleroger View Post
any top school is going to be competitive. when i said "laid back atmosphere" i was referring to living here and not the school system. from what i understand, people don't want the train station re-opened because it would bring in more people from nyc. fwiw i grew up in short hills, graduated from millburn high school, and still have family living there so have some basis for comparison.
I'm glad we agree the school system is "not laid back". I'm in a top 15% or so district in the state (acc'd to NJ Monthly) and while there is some degree of rat-race, it's not nearly like a Montgomery/Millburn.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > New Jersey