Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > New Jersey
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 02-04-2014, 11:12 AM

7 posts, read 163,147 times

Advertisements

Wondering if anyone can tell me what this is, if I should be worried, and what my course of action should be? Background: We moved in to an older house in Princeton that has been divided into four apartments in July (7 months ago).

(higher res version)

(higher res version)

Let me know if you need better pictures with out all the backlighting.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 02-04-2014, 11:20 AM

20,550 posts, read 17,701,807 times
That means there's not much weather strip or insulation around the window because it looks like a lot of wind and moisture is going through and creating a mold farm.

Clean it out with bleach and at some point the window molding should be removed and the window frame also should have a lot of mold growing inside.

Disinfect room area often those mold is gonna keep growing until the window frame is weather insulated.

Old 02-04-2014, 11:36 AM

Thanks! I will add that every window in the apartment is like this. The top section of these windows will all fall down unless they are locked in somehow taped/propped up, so not having a great seal makes sense.

Additionally, we have a window in our shower (house converted into an apartment) that looks like this…

(high res)

(high res)

FWIW: I know the people who were supposed to rent before us got denied because they asked them to fix this shower-window (and some other stuff). We were desperate so we took the place site-unseen.

Old 02-04-2014, 01:12 PM

3,021 posts, read 5,851,625 times
This site reviews mold test kits.
Mold Test Kits Review 2014 | Best Home Mold Detection Kits | Home Mold Testing Kits - TopTenREVIEWS

You have to send it to a lab to know if it's toxic mold.

I don't know if those photos show mold or not, but mold can make you very sick. Definitely test it.

Perhaps try calling someone at the township (health dep't. or building dep't ??)
http://www.princetonnj.gov/department-locator.html

Last edited by daliowa; 02-04-2014 at 01:18 PM.. Reason: edit

Old 02-04-2014, 02:29 PM

527 posts, read 1,408,659 times
That is a lot of mold around the windows
Was caused by poor/no air circulation and damp conditions. maybe condensation, shower, humidity etc

You should get it tested with a mold kit, just to be sure what you are dealing with.
But, for the "right now, you should clean it immediatly
bleach, bleach and cleaner
while doing the cleaning, I would have a fan blowing out a window so you are not exposed to much with mold spores.
no matter what kind of mold it is, not get the spores thruout the house/apt.

This will not go away on it's own, and will get worse.

But even after you do all of that.
You have to wonder what is inside the walls
Has the mold spread (or is worse than what you see) inside the walls ?
Maybe what you see on the outsode is the tip of the inside the wall iceberg
The only way you can investigate the inside, tear open a hole and look inside or borrow/rent a scope to put inside the wall and examine what is on the backside of the walls.

The condition of the windown in the shower is pretty normal for a window that someone stupidly put inside a shower.
Might have some mold, but looks mostly like wood rot and blistered off paint.
Why anyone would put a window in a shower is beyond me. even worse with wood trim

Old 02-04-2014, 07:01 PM

3,021 posts, read 5,851,625 times
Cleaning it will get mold spores into the air (assuming it is mold.)

I suggest testing immediately. If it is toxic mold than you really don't want to mess with that at all.

There are companies that do mold remediation. They wear fulll body suits & masks, so you get the idea of how dangerous mold can be.

Old 02-06-2014, 08:15 AM

32,932 posts, read 36,351,383 times
WTH? Are those pictures from the day that you moved in? It's good that you have photos, but I hope that you've cleaned the area.

I agree that it is a weather stripping, insulation, caulk problem. Something around that window is rotting. It's not going to go away until the underlying problem is fixed/remediated.

Cover that shower window with plastic curtains or something.

Old 02-06-2014, 08:20 AM

No, unfortunately, these pictures are from a few days ago.

I'm guessing the reason there is a window in the shower is because this is a house converted into 4 apartments. We had a shower-window in a complex we lived in in Virginia, but it had tiles and not wood around it.

Old 03-24-2014, 11:20 AM

20 posts, read 25,246 times
It would require sampling to tell you what kind of mold that is.

Old 03-24-2014, 12:22 PM

317 posts, read 747,725 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by daliowa View Post
Cleaning it will get mold spores into the air (assuming it is mold.)

I suggest testing immediately. If it is toxic mold than you really don't want to mess with that at all.

There are companies that do mold remediation. They wear fulll body suits & masks, so you get the idea of how dangerous mold can be.

Mold is way overrated. Just another way to collect large sums of money from the home owner- scare them!

What , people think mold just started to appear on the map in the last 20 years. No It's been around forever but somehow they try to scare you to part with your money. Anyone with basic skills can tackle that, no problem.

Here's an idea since mold needs moisture, open the window when taking a shower.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > New Jersey