Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > New Jersey
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 02-09-2014, 01:17 PM

550 posts, read 965,921 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by mialia View Post
Realize that there IS a college in South Orange - Seton Hall! I graduated from there 10 years ago. Anyways, the town of South Orange is really nice. They have the downtown area, and then the homes off of those side streets off Wyoming Ave are so cute! I have two friends who grew up in South Orange, and one who grew up in Maplewood - all 3 are great people (and seton hall grads. woo-hoo!)

The South Orange PD do a really good job of keeping the riff raff out from Newark. In fact, in back of Seton Hall by Ivy Hill in Irvington, they have some of those streets barricaded with orange and white jersey barriers. I'm serious. Newark stays in Newark. South Orange doesn't go to Newark. It's two different worlds, really.
I completely forgot that SH is in SO. That may have a lot to do with why the downtown is so chic. There's definitely a certain vibe in SO that I don't sense in other non-college towns. Though I can't really say the same about Newark, which is home to several colleges.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 02-09-2014, 02:33 PM

10,222 posts, read 19,213,191 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Executive53298752 View Post
I haven't worked out a budget yet. I really have to find some time to sit down and work out the new figures. I have to assess the whole tax situation and decide what we're comfortable spending. We've been looking online and the homes that we've found the most appealing were in the $600k-$800k range. We'd probably be comfortable putting $100k down at most. Even though we want a nice-sized beautiful home, we would still like to live well within our means.
If you want to live within your means, $100k down = $500k house.

Old 02-09-2014, 07:21 PM

149 posts, read 349,216 times
I used to go to Shop Rite in West Orange because the Pathmark was crap (the one of Valley St) and I'd never go food shopping in Newark. No way, Jose.

Regarding parking at the South Orange train station - back in my hey dey we could only park in that little area by Cryans - like by the fire department. I thought that now they expanded parking to the parking lot of SOPA? (South Orange Performing Arts Center.) I may be wrong...?

I found this: looks like you can park at SOPA and there is a waiting list to get a permit:
http://www.southorange.org/parking/feesNRules.asp

Old 02-10-2014, 03:41 PM

385 posts, read 1,175,834 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by mialia View Post
I used to go to Shop Rite in West Orange because the Pathmark was crap (the one of Valley St) and I'd never go food shopping in Newark. No way, Jose.

Regarding parking at the South Orange train station - back in my hey dey we could only park in that little area by Cryans - like by the fire department. I thought that now they expanded parking to the parking lot of SOPA? (South Orange Performing Arts Center.) I may be wrong...?

I found this: looks like you can park at SOPA and there is a waiting list to get a permit:
South Orange Village Parking Authority
the supermarket in newark is on the newark/maplewood/south orange, and is a very good supermarket with a variety of ethnic and american foods. in fact, maplewood/south orange has only 4 supermarkets, but ashley markets isn't really a supermarket, more of an expensive gourmet shop, and extra supermarket in maplewood is quite small. the pathmark here is crap. the city supermarket in newark is the closest large supermarket.

cryans is now closed, and there are many parking areas near it. the one between it and the fire department is either only permit, or non-commuter, it is a SOPA lot, i don't know what the rules are now, they change often.

you could be on permit waiting list for up to 8 years, no joke! it's easier to park on the side street, and take bus or jitney to station.

Old 02-12-2014, 10:02 AM

168 posts, read 417,371 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by labcjo View Post
A great place to go to get answers to more specific questions is to check out the discussion over at All Discussions - M/SO Community Forum (the discussions include South Orange as well). Lots of friendly people there who will be more than happy to answer your questions!

They discuss that there as well:

Multiple Fights/ Chaos Downtown South Orange - M/SO Community Forum

Old 02-12-2014, 10:55 AM

2,098 posts, read 3,525,189 times
I recall downtown South Orange around the train station area has been gentrified a lot since the 1990s. Both my parents went to SHU, and the bar and restaurant scene in downtown area was a little hoody at night. I went again in 2010 and it seemed way more family oriented. Plus the train station and local surrounding areas got a facelift.

Old 02-12-2014, 01:44 PM

385 posts, read 1,175,834 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by fedus View Post
that thread is around 4 years old! back then, downtown south orange was having many flash mobs/fights, but the sopd did a good job, and stopped them. they have not happened in at least 3 years.

Old 02-13-2014, 01:14 PM

2,678 posts, read 1,701,142 times
I would say South Orange.

It is a great place and what I love about South Orange is the ethnic restaurants. You can find a number of restaurants there. Jamaican, Italian, Ethiopian, Japanese are amongst some of the places they have.

Livingston mall and Short Hills Mall are not far.

In the summer there are jazz musicians who play live music in the town center. There is a train station right in the town center.

The school system is great, with great teachers too.

Old 01-04-2015, 07:59 AM

6 posts, read 22,033 times
Teaneck is very deceiving. The schools are sub par compared to the rest of the state. There is absolutely zero downtown liveliness. The council and building department are awful at being proactive visionaries. They refuse to build the town up then wonder why every store is vacant. I'd choose south orange in a heartbeat. If I wasn't so tied down to this crappy sub par town id be out. But the property value is also sub par so dont be fooled either.Put it this way if I took my house out of Teaneck and dropped it in south orange the price would go up by 50k or more. I'm in real estate and generally deal soley in Bergen county and I can tell you Teaneck property value is sub par in comparison to the rest if Bergen county.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > New Jersey