U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > New Jersey
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 02-08-2014, 03:23 PM

32 posts, read 41,585 times

Advertisements

Hi,
I'm moving from Wisconsin to Basking ridge in NJ.Could anyone please provide me the below information?

Thanks in advance.

1. Is Basking ridge good place to live with kids?
I found that Montessori Schools are very expensive.How are the private schools there?
2.Does anyone know about United health group company? Would like to know how the company is in general?
3.Is thee anyplace close to Basking Ridge with best schools and 30 to 45 mins to NY and PA
4. My kids will be in elementary school and looking for best neighborhood with kids activities

PleAse provide whatever information you know as this would be very helpful for us.Thanks in advance.

Regards,
Ezhil
Rate this post positively Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 02-08-2014, 04:27 PM

9,299 posts, read 19,757,938 times
1. yes
1a. also expensive
2. on par with aetna
3. Bedminster/Far Hills schools, Long Hill Twp (Millington). Watchung.. ( 30/45 min to NY/PA NON-RUSH HOURS)
4. Hard to say with out more details.

Old 02-08-2014, 04:34 PM

2,407 posts, read 2,881,502 times
Basking Ridge is a fantastic town. I live in the town to the north- Harding. It's a great place to live with kids and the schools are excellent. For kid activities try the Somerset YMCA. They have two swimming pools (indoor) and a kids pool with 2 big slides.

Basking Ridge has quaint little downtown. There is a pocket of money around BR in towns like Far Hills, Bernardsville, Mendham so houses tend to run on the higher side and you'll find a number of estates in all of those towns.

I don't know your budget, but I would suggest looking in Harding Township (which is in Morris County, the other towns being in Somerset). Taxes in Harding tend to be about half of the surrounding communities. The town has a K-8 and pays Madison High School for the high school students that stay in public school as many of the students go to private school for high school. I would check out the public schools first as I don't know why anyone living in these towns would want to sent their kid to private school unless you wanted a religious school or for some other specific education.

I can't answer your question about United Health, however the area has a lot of pharmaceutical companies.

It will take an hour to get to NYC or PA from Basking Ridge taking traffic into account. You could probably drive from the George Washington Bridge out route 80 to PA in an hour at night, but it would not be realistic to expect to find a place that is 30-45 minutes from NYC AND 30-45 minutes from PA. Note: I specifically said NYC as you can run up Route 287 and be on the NYS Thruway in 30-45 minutes.

Old 02-08-2014, 05:55 PM

385 posts, read 1,112,105 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by macrodome2 View Post
Basking Ridge is a fantastic town. I live in the town to the north- Harding. It's a great place to live with kids and the schools are excellent. For kid activities try the Somerset YMCA. They have two swimming pools (indoor) and a kids pool with 2 big slides.

Basking Ridge has quaint little downtown. There is a pocket of money around BR in towns like Far Hills, Bernardsville, Mendham so houses tend to run on the higher side and you'll find a number of estates in all of those towns.

I don't know your budget, but I would suggest looking in Harding Township (which is in Morris County, the other towns being in Somerset). Taxes in Harding tend to be about half of the surrounding communities. The town has a K-8 and pays Madison High School for the high school students that stay in public school as many of the students go to private school for high school. I would check out the public schools first as I don't know why anyone living in these towns would want to sent their kid to private school unless you wanted a religious school or for some other specific education.

I can't answer your question about United Health, however the area has a lot of pharmaceutical companies.

It will take an hour to get to NYC or PA from Basking Ridge taking traffic into account. You could probably drive from the George Washington Bridge out route 80 to PA in an hour at night, but it would not be realistic to expect to find a place that is 30-45 minutes from NYC AND 30-45 minutes from PA. Note: I specifically said NYC as you can run up Route 287 and be on the NYS Thruway in 30-45 minutes.
if coming to nj, basking ridge has excellent public schools, train stations in lyons and basking ridge, supermarket, quaint downtown, etc. it is a very expensive area, but harding township is one of america's wealthiest towns (usually top 25 in all rankings). homes are usually very pricey. plus, madison high school is far from certain areas of harding, 11 miles in the western part.

why would you choose private schooling in the somerset hills? public schools are some of the best around.

Old 02-08-2014, 08:19 PM

32 posts, read 41,585 times
Thanks much for all the information.It was very useful and informative.

1.I'm looking for private schools as I read that elementary public schools don't have before or after school programs during spring or winter breaks or during school holidays.This would be a problem for us as we both work.Looking for a school that provides this program through out get year.

2.could anyone let me know what is the best elementary school in BR?

3.we are looking for 350 to 425 k town homes or single family homes with 2 or 3 bed rooms and 2 baths.1990 year build houses or town homes are ok.will we get anything in BR area around this range?

4.also,my kid is November 30 the born.if she goes to Montessori or private school,will she be considered for 1st grade when she is 6 year and 3 months old.I came to know that nj schools are very strict in this.If anyone know any school near to BR or in BR who can take kid for first grade with cut off date as December .

Thanks in advance.Appreciate any information if you know and can provide on the above.

Old 02-08-2014, 09:18 PM

149 posts, read 334,171 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Tmmet View Post
we are looking for 350 to 425 k town homes or single family homes with 2 or 3 bed rooms and 2 baths.1990 year build houses or town homes are ok.will we get anything in BR area around this range?
Your price range for Basking Ridge is way below the average for a house. For a townhouse, yes - they have a few nice developments there that would fit in your range.

Be prepared for sticker shock with property taxes in New Jersey, if you have not researched that cost yet. (and also the cost of auto insurance.. but ah, we'd need a whole new thread for that!)

Basking Ridge has a really fantastic reputation. Excellent schools, beautiful town, very safe, very nice.. and expensive. It's labeled as "rich town."

Old 02-08-2014, 10:35 PM

1,221 posts, read 1,928,144 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Tmmet View Post
Hi,
I'm moving from Wisconsin to Basking ridge in NJ.Could anyone please provide me the below information?

Thanks in advance.

1. Is Basking ridge good place to live with kids?
I found that Montessori Schools are very expensive.How are the private schools there?
2.Does anyone know about United health group company? Would like to know how the company is in general?
3.Is thee anyplace close to Basking Ridge with best schools and 30 to 45 mins to NY and PA
4. My kids will be in elementary school and looking for best neighborhood with kids activities

PleAse provide whatever information you know as this would be very helpful for us.Thanks in advance.

Regards,
Ezhil
1. Yes.

1a. The public schools are excellent. Don't know about private, but there's certainly no need to be sending your kids to private school for a good education in BR (or other nearby towns).

3. Pretty much every town in the surrounding "bubble" of I-287, US-22, and Route 24, is excellent. (As well as a number outside said bubble, such as Millburn, or to the northwest like Mendham). Off peak is 30-45 min for NY and PA. Peak rush hour is a different story and it depends on where specifically you want to go.

Old 02-09-2014, 12:23 AM

4,120 posts, read 6,168,942 times
As far as the public schools don't worry about the before and after programs, you can find day car places that provide drop off and pick up services, this is common practice, it'll will cost you a lot less than private schools btw. Also you can find a town house within 15 minutes of basking ridge for 425k with a garage, with excellent public schools, your property tax will be around 6k for a townhouse in that price range btw. As for the 30 to 45 minutes of NY which I think you mean the city, you'll have to go in toward the city more but prices then become a major issue, along with ages of your property. Welcome to Jersey it's expensive.

Old 02-09-2014, 07:37 AM

30 posts, read 63,820 times
Check out long hill (Gillette, Stirling, Millington) - there are town homes around that area in that price range (Try Sunrise) - its right next to the Gillette school (Pre K to Grade 1). You might find an older smaller home for that money as well. Also look at Spring Ridge in Basking Ridge - there are condos there.

Its right next to Basking Ridge and probably a 30 min drive on a really bad day to UnitedHealth offices in BR. Long Hill is in Morris County as well - so somewhat lower taxes.

Longhill has full day kindy this year for the first time and also has a wrapper program in the morning and afternoons. School holidays can be covered by a variety of other (expensive) options. Jeff Lake is one such place.

Harding is very nice as well although not many town houses / condos - tend to be much bigger places! I'm not aware of any schools locally that take a December kid in however.

Old 02-09-2014, 08:55 AM

2,407 posts, read 2,881,502 times
Not knowing the OP's budget I recommended not overlooking Harding because there are 2 townhouse developments, and the section to the east of Route 202 between the townhouses and the old AT&T complex has some more modest priced homes.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > New Jersey