Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > New Jersey
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 11-30-2007, 08:41 PM

2,179 posts, read 6,716,727 times

Advertisements

So I wake up this morning and put on the coffee, turn on Bloomberg, and scratch parts of my body that will remain nameless. As my bleary eyes started to focus, I headed over to my windows to open the blinds to see what type of day was about to greet me and there it was...a huge floating crane on a barge. Kind of startled me (almost as bad as the window washers scared the cripes out of my girlfriend at 7AM on a Saturday morning) to see this thing just floating on the Hudson.

I shower up, snag the Post which the paperboy can't come within 30 feet of my door (in an apartment building!) and head down to the PATH. As I made my way over to the waterfront walkway, I asked one of the big burly dudes what was going on, and he said "we're buildin' a pier!". Fair enough I said, and made my way to the train.

I know we're all nasty and mean people on here, but do you guys want me to keep a photo slide going of this work in progress? Let me know, and feel free to give me some negative rep points.

It all started today...

Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 11-30-2007, 09:56 PM

5,818 posts, read 12,624,105 times
Bring it on. I love to see the waterfront of the Hudson River.

Old 12-01-2007, 02:15 AM

146 posts, read 506,680 times
Would love to see the pics as well, keep 'em coming!

Signed: another nasty, crabby New Jersey lover!

P.S. Positive rep points coming your way. Enjoy your style of writing.

Old 12-01-2007, 06:28 AM

Ok, you guy's got it. I will start taking pics of the progress. Now, I know this isn't the booming metropolis of Scranton and it's 'burbs, but just maybe this pier will get more residents to move here...just maybe.

Old 12-01-2007, 06:31 AM

9,124 posts, read 36,377,466 times
Any idea why they're building the pier? Are they creating a marina? Is it a place for people to gather with benches, etc? Will they be loading coal brought by horse-drawn buggies from Scranton onto barges to send to poor people in Chile?

Old 12-01-2007, 06:44 AM

13,403 posts, read 28,723,726 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by HobokenGuy View Post
Ok, you guy's got it. I will start taking pics of the progress. Now, I know this isn't the booming metropolis of Scranton and it's 'burbs, but just maybe this pier will get more residents to move here...just maybe.

I would love to see the progress
This is a completely different Hoboken from back in the day
Granny worked at Mickey Finns...Hoboken guy you more then likely nevah heard of it..Mom worked at some steam ship company...

Old 12-01-2007, 06:45 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by BobKovacs View Post
Any idea why they're building the pier? Are they creating a marina? Is it a place for people to gather with benches, etc? Will they be loading coal brought by horse-drawn buggies from Scranton onto barges to send to poor people in Chile?
hehe are you getting passive aggressive on me?

This is Pier B (pier A is about 500 yards down river). From what my doorman told me last night, this will be a recreation pier only. The boats stay uptown and in Weehawken. I am kind of bummed because I love boats, so it would have been nice to look at all of them.

If this is anything like Pier A, it should be a good time. Thursday nights in the summer, the city of Hoboken hosts free movie night, where they blow up a huge movie screen and residents from all over The Boken bring blankets and sit on the lawn and watch movies.

The coal is actually heading to Bed-Stuy, so maybe when the high speed commuter rail gets finished in 2347, we can increase the black rock stockpile.

Old 12-01-2007, 06:47 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by njkate View Post
I would love to see the progress
This is a completely different Hoboken from back in the day
Granny worked at Mickey Finns...Hoboken guy you more then likely nevah heard of it..Mom worked at some steam ship company...
I think I was still a twinkle in my parents eyes back then. Did you mom work at the Lackawanna Terminal?

Old 12-01-2007, 07:08 AM

9,124 posts, read 36,377,466 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by HobokenGuy View Post
hehe are you getting passive aggressive on me?

This is Pier B (pier A is about 500 yards down river). From what my doorman told me last night, this will be a recreation pier only. The boats stay uptown and in Weehawken. I am kind of bummed because I love boats, so it would have been nice to look at all of them.

If this is anything like Pier A, it should be a good time. Thursday nights in the summer, the city of Hoboken hosts free movie night, where they blow up a huge movie screen and residents from all over The Boken bring blankets and sit on the lawn and watch movies.

The coal is actually heading to Bed-Stuy, so maybe when the high speed commuter rail gets finished in 2347, we can increase the black rock stockpile.
Me? Passive aggressive? Never.........

I was sincerely interested in the reason for the pier- the last suggested use was just a faint glimmer of hope that it would serve a more noble purpose than providing another entertainment venue for you city-dwellers....lol.

And I had forgotten all about the high-speed commuter rail to shuttle people out to Wall Street West- do you think it'll also be used to shuttle workers to and from the coal mines, in case any of the folks in Manhattan decide to leave their Wall Street careers behind and go for some black lung like real men?

Old 12-01-2007, 07:17 AM

I can see how the Wall Streeters would give up their 300K jobs and move to Wall Street West, then they'd transition easily from their Brioni suits to coal miners gear. This all makes perfect sense to me.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > New Jersey