Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > New Jersey
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 02-11-2014, 11:49 AM

15 posts, read 62,388 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by NJhighlands87 View Post
If you look, you might be able to find an old Victorian converted into multiple units. I have a friend who rents a basement apartment on Western Ave. for 800$ a month. So it isn't impossible to find a place, if you can hack through all the spam on Craigslist or find a decent area realtor. Honestly, your budget is pretty close to the price point for a lot of decent apartments in North Jersey, I'd splurge the extra 200 or so a month to live somewhere that'll make you happy, especially if two incomes are a distinct possibility.
That's actually what we live in now but in New Brunswick. I was very familiar with the area since we went to Rutgers so I had no problem finding a good deal. However, it has its drawbacks. Montclair seems to have a decent amount of these.

I'll probably wait a bit to extend our budget. My lease is up at the end of May so we have until then to figure something out. The gf has also just begun applying to jobs so with time that may be more certain as well. I'm just worried now as my landlord has already started to show my current place when I told him we most likely would not be renewing.

My best friends brother is actually a realtor in Parsippany. I'm going to reach out to him although I don't think he deals with rentals. But if he can't help, hopefully he will know someone who can.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 02-11-2014, 04:28 PM

88,580 posts, read 84,795,337 times
I was under the impression that New Brunswick is kind of rundown, more than Woodbridge would be anyway, but I haven't been to N.B. In years except to look at Rutgers with my daughter in 2010. But good luck wherever you land!

Old 02-11-2014, 07:59 PM

7,055 posts, read 19,309,136 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by JFlyers00 View Post
That's actually what we live in now but in New Brunswick. I was very familiar with the area since we went to Rutgers so I had no problem finding a good deal. However, it has its drawbacks. Montclair seems to have a decent amount of these.

I'll probably wait a bit to extend our budget. My lease is up at the end of May so we have until then to figure something out. The gf has also just begun applying to jobs so with time that may be more certain as well. I'm just worried now as my landlord has already started to show my current place when I told him we most likely would not be renewing.

My best friends brother is actually a realtor in Parsippany. I'm going to reach out to him although I don't think he deals with rentals. But if he can't help, hopefully he will know someone who can.
Honestly, it's a bit early to be looking for apartments for an end-of-May/June 1 move-in. More units will come available in April that meet your criteria.

Also, it is indeed a good idea to wait and see where your gf lands. It would be a shame to sign a lease in Edison and then have her find a dream job in White Plains.

Old 02-12-2014, 06:56 AM

262 posts, read 798,605 times
Have you looked into South Amboy? There is a train station right in town that takes you to Penn Station along the North Jersey Coast line in an hour.

Old 02-12-2014, 07:41 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Mightyqueen801 View Post
I was under the impression that New Brunswick is kind of rundown, more than Woodbridge would be anyway, but I haven't been to N.B. In years except to look at Rutgers with my daughter in 2010. But good luck wherever you land!
Yes it is. Some parts are nice and some are extremely run down.

Thank you!

Quote:
Originally Posted by lammius View Post
Honestly, it's a bit early to be looking for apartments for an end-of-May/June 1 move-in. More units will come available in April that meet your criteria.

Also, it is indeed a good idea to wait and see where your gf lands. It would be a shame to sign a lease in Edison and then have her find a dream job in White Plains.
I'm beginning to realize this myself. I guess I'm used to how it is in New Brunswick. Most of the landlords are starting to find renters for next school year now. This is probably why my landlord demanded an answer as to whether I would be renewing for next year already. I guess we should still browse and hopefully a 1 bedroom will open up at Oxford Arms as that would be ideal.

I agree. She really needs to figure that out or at least start making more of an effort to.

Quote:
Originally Posted by focus282 View Post
Have you looked into South Amboy? There is a train station right in town that takes you to Penn Station along the North Jersey Coast line in an hour.
I have not, but I will now.

As of now I plan to inquire about and vist:
Oxford Arms in Edison
Oak Tree Village in Edison (They run a shuttle to Metro Park)
Evergreen Forest in Avenel Woodbridge (Shuttle to Rahway)
Woodbridge Village in Avenel Woodbridge (Shuttle to Rahway)

Old 02-12-2014, 08:05 AM

262 posts, read 798,605 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by JFlyers00 View Post

I have not, but I will now.

Let me know if you have any questions about the area. My wife (who went to Rutgers) and I rented there for 2 years before buying in Milltown.

I work in Midtown and we like to go to the city on the weekends sometimes -- there are a lot of options for commuting -- multiple buses (a Port Authority bus; Cross-town bus; and Downtown bus) as well as the train to Penn.

It's not the most upscale place -- a lot of blue collar workers. There is a small "main street" that has a couple of bars and restaurants. It can look a little run-down at times, but it's definitely safe.

There is a brand new YMCA that is only open to residents (it was $43 a month for my wife and I) with a pool, basketball courts, and full gym that overlooks the water. There is also a really nice waterfront park with soccer fields, football fields, and running paths.

Old 02-12-2014, 08:42 AM

Quote:
Let me know if you have any questions about the area. My wife (who went to Rutgers) and I rented there for 2 years before buying in Milltown.

I work in Midtown and we like to go to the city on the weekends sometimes -- there are a lot of options for commuting -- multiple buses (a Port Authority bus; Cross-town bus; and Downtown bus) as well as the train to Penn.

It's not the most upscale place -- a lot of blue collar workers. There is a small "main street" that has a couple of bars and restaurants. It can look a little run-down at times, but it's definitely safe.

There is a brand new YMCA that is only open to residents (it was $43 a month for my wife and I) with a pool, basketball courts, and full gym that overlooks the water. There is also a really nice waterfront park with soccer fields, football fields, and running paths.
Okay, I will. Thank you so much!

Old 02-12-2014, 04:34 PM

88,580 posts, read 84,795,337 times
Quote:

Hey, I pass that Y on the train! Watched them build it. It does look really nice.

Old 02-13-2014, 08:58 AM

We are going to Edison this weekend to look around. We are visiting Oxford Arms and Blueberry/Edison Village.

Old 03-30-2014, 06:41 PM

We placed a holding deposit for an apartment at oxford arms last weekend! Unless she gets a job somewhere where it would make more sense to live outside of Edison we will most likely end up there.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > New Jersey