U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > New Jersey
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 02-11-2014, 08:36 AM

3 posts, read 6,359 times

Advertisements

Hello,
We are moving with family to Hoboken and need advice on what areas/streets/locations to avoid.
Budget is around 3000 for a 2BR. not sure if schools have transportation if we decide 2 live @ the higher #ed streets by the waterfront.
thanks in advance
Rate this post positively Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 02-11-2014, 08:46 AM

1,271 posts, read 2,972,813 times
Well, don't live on Washington St. That's where all the loud bars and other nightlife is, though it is quieter at the north end of town. A child is noisy enough. Also, avoid ground floors on the west side of town--the area tends to flood during storms, and not just during Hurricane Sandy the further west you get. (I know, it's counterintuitive that flooding happens away from the Hudson, but Hoboken tilts upwards towards the river.)

That's it, really. For such a wealthy town, Hoboken's schools have a not-great reputation, but that's more the high school (and that seems likely to change rapidly as the children of gentrifiers grow up).

Old 02-11-2014, 08:46 AM

105 posts, read 151,789 times
Most of the areas are reasonably safe and family friendly. I would avoid anything along Washington Street and anything within five blocks of the terminal in any direction, especially First Street. Those stretches are bar city, so it gets really noisy at night (especially Thursdays, Fridays and Saturdays) and you'll regularly have to deal with the young drunk herd. Once you go towards 14th St. and Weehawken, the crowd gets much older and quieter.

Old 02-11-2014, 10:02 AM

208 posts, read 431,010 times
I think anything past Monroe is a little sketchy... I'm on Adams and 6th and it's a great area.

Old 02-11-2014, 11:13 AM

2,099 posts, read 3,216,212 times
With kids though I'd hate to live in downtown area where it's crowded, conjested, and filled with drunk idiots. Not to mention bus exhaust and constant sirens on Washington Street just suck for parents and young kids alike.

I would easily head uptown. More mature restaurants and bars, quieter, better kept apartment buildings. Towards the back (like a poster said, Adams St.) is pretty nice. I don't think many blocks in Hoboken are considered "sketch" anymore at this point.

Old 02-11-2014, 12:11 PM

6 posts, read 19,774 times
We live uptown with a toddler and now a newborn and love it. There are 3 or 4 parks within 5-15 minute walk, and the housing stock is generally newer. Your $3K budget may be a bit of a hindrance in newer buildings, though.

Old 02-11-2014, 12:57 PM

31,774 posts, read 36,477,468 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by OZ_2014 View Post
Hello,
We are moving with family to Hoboken and need advice on what areas/streets/locations to avoid.
Budget is around 3000 for a 2BR. not sure if schools have transportation if we decide 2 live @ the higher #ed streets by the waterfront.
thanks in advance
you are sending the kids to private school right? its my understanding that you don't send kids to public schools there unless you don't love them.

Old 02-11-2014, 03:19 PM

2,998 posts, read 5,199,869 times
No school transporation in Hoboken. Parents have to do the round trip to school twice a day.

I don't recommend living in Hoboken with school-age kids.

Our son was at a charter school there for awhile, very displeased.

For private school take a look at All Saints Episcopal. Our son got a great education there, but they usually have too few spaces for the number of kids that try to enroll.

One problem with that area is that it is very transient. People with kids don't stay in town. As soon as your kid makes a friend than the friend will move to another county.

Also, if your child has any special needs, than good luck getting services.

Old 02-11-2014, 08:52 PM

22 posts, read 45,925 times
I have lived in Hoboken for 10+ years and have 2 children at the Wallace Public School and I absolutely LOVE Hoboken (and my children CaptainNJ!), especially the schools. I live uptown on Grand and think it is a very nice area but people all over town love their area also.

We planned on moving to the suburbs long ago but the schools among other things have kept us here. The teachers have been just amazing and my children both recently scored very highly on the state standardized tests for math and reading. I really believe the excellent teachers, administration and curriculum are a big part of this.

CaptainNJ, you're funny.

Old 02-12-2014, 07:56 AM

1,319 posts, read 3,988,593 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by OZ_2014 View Post
Hello,
thanks in advance
Hoboken's public school system is getting better but it is gradual process. More parents who are engaged that send their children to public school will help with the overall progress because if not, engaged parents with means will make the local politicians feel it during elections and contributions.

That said, if you are the type of parents who wants the best you can afford for your children's public education. Then Hoboken maybe not be the ideal place because other towns with more established public education system can offer better. However Hoboken school system is changing so if you have very young children then you'd reap the benefit later on when they do become children age.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > New Jersey