Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > New Jersey
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 02-11-2014, 10:48 AM

150 posts, read 646,503 times

Advertisements

We moved from California, so have to re-register cars here in NJ. We already got insurance policies issued in NJ, and one car was registered (MVC took the California title, and issued a new NJ title).

For the second car, we can't easily locate the title ... chance are it got packed in some wrong box. It does not have a lien (never had a loan). So one option is to get a duplicate title issued by California DMV ... this is totally doable ($18, some notarization, and probably 3-4 weeks of processing time).

But I am wondering if there are any other options? After all, all the various state DMVs have license, registration and ownership data in their databases, and, at least for DL info, states share data with each other. Do they also share title info? Would NJ MVC be able to electronically verify the ownership from CA DMV?
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 02-11-2014, 10:57 AM

Sorry abotu typo in subject line.... meant OUT of state, not "our of state".

Old 02-11-2014, 11:00 AM

105 posts, read 166,964 times
Did a dealership issue the original title? It might be quicker to call up the dealership and have them resend it.

Old 02-11-2014, 05:41 PM

2,105 posts, read 6,661,915 times
Quote:

Did a dealership issue the original title?
Dealers do not issue titles. They only facilitate the paperwork when you buy the vehicle.

I like CA's Electronic Title system although it won't help with a NJ transfer.

As far as a electronic lookup, the ability to verify ownership is possible but they will not use it for a vehicle transfer and I'd say it's likely the clerks don't have access as the system to access in state and out of state are different. . The CA Request for Duplicate Title is online so I'd just go ahead and request the dup and go that route.

Old 02-12-2014, 11:34 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by rscalzo View Post
Dealers do not issue titles. They only facilitate the paperwork when you buy the vehicle.

I like CA's Electronic Title system although it won't help with a NJ transfer.

As far as a electronic lookup, the ability to verify ownership is possible but they will not use it for a vehicle transfer and I'd say it's likely the clerks don't have access as the system to access in state and out of state are different. . The CA Request for Duplicate Title is online so I'd just go ahead and request the dup and go that route.
We are requesting duplicate title by mail.

To request it online, we need a "secure online account" with CA DMV. One of the requirements is to have a CA DL. But we already switched our CA DL with NJ DL, so CA DL is no longer valid. Also, to request duplicate title by mail, the address where it is to be mailed should match the address on previous title, i.e., old address. So the duplicate title will go to the old address, and then come here (most likely post office forwarding will intercept it before delivery, but even if it is delivered, the new tenant will mail it to us).

Old 02-12-2014, 07:11 PM

2,105 posts, read 6,661,915 times
Quote:
One of the requirements is to have a CA DL
It's probably still listed with CA as valid. Been a while but they never had notations of a change of state on the readout. But as they will be sending it to your former address which is the norm in most states, it won't save you that much time. I really wouldn't sweat it.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > New Jersey