Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > New Jersey
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

View Poll Results: Bill de Blasio should have cancelled NYC Schools today
Yes 17 58.62%
No 8 27.59%
Mixed feeling/don't know 4 13.79%
Voters: 29. You may not vote on this poll

Reply Start New Thread

Old 02-13-2014, 05:20 PM

1,743 posts, read 1,657,613 times

Advertisements

This is NJ not NYC . Close thread/
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 02-13-2014, 05:26 PM

1,037 posts, read 3,159,423 times
Only 40+% attendance. Yah, the answer is pretty clear.

Old 02-13-2014, 05:32 PM

2,715 posts, read 11,898,849 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Retriever View Post
I don't recall any discussions about schools in PA or NY, except--perhaps--as a brief, passing comment in relation to NJ schools. You can count me as one more forum member who wonders why you posted this in the NJ Forum.

Don't sweat the small stuff

Old 02-13-2014, 05:45 PM

550 posts, read 965,106 times
I actually find this topic intriguing. I always noticed a stark contrast between the how easily NJ schools close vs. how rarely NYC schools close. I also noticed that NYC businesses (I'm talking corporate office, I guess) close much less frequently than NJ businesses. I'm sure the difference in our commuting/transit systems play a big role in this, but what else could there be?

Old 02-13-2014, 06:15 PM

973 posts, read 1,452,676 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by VintageSunlight View Post
8 million people in NYC. If you close schools, 4 million that didn't vote for him will scream that he doesn't care about working parents. If you keep schools open, the other 4 million will scream that all the children are in extreme danger and he doesn't care about the safety of children.

NY has become such a nanny state joke.

How about you keep schools open and maybe parents decide for themselves without the government telling them whats best for them, to send the kids to school or stay home with them.
Children only get so many days off of school. It's under 20. I forgot the exact amount. The way weather had been, they'll use up their sick days. Weather isn't an excused absence. Then, when they're sick they'll have to go in and get sent home. What a mess. Former teacher for snow days.

Old 02-13-2014, 06:19 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by stradivarius View Post
I actually find this topic intriguing. I always noticed a stark contrast between the how easily NJ schools close vs. how rarely NYC schools close. I also noticed that NYC businesses (I'm talking corporate office, I guess) close much less frequently than NJ businesses. I'm sure the difference in our commuting/transit systems play a big role in this, but what else could there be?
NYC is more urban. I'm sure children live closer to schools than they do in NJ. I've taught some very urban districts where children lived far enough to be bused/drive to school. Does NYC even have buses for non special education children. I ask, because my friends who live and/or work in the city say they see school age children on subway/buses unattended in the mornings.

Old 02-13-2014, 06:45 PM

12,200 posts, read 7,209,923 times
^ You have to live a certain distance away to qualify for school busing.

As for the question about businesses staying open more in the city, well, it just is a whole lot easier to get around because of subways. In NJ, most people have to drive.

Old 02-13-2014, 06:55 PM

Thanks for the info.

Old 02-13-2014, 07:08 PM

1,174 posts, read 1,746,871 times
i read that something like 80-90% of students walk to school in NYC. Most districts are likely no where close to this and mostly depend on driving to school. Not to mention, NYC closing school would lead to like 100k parents staying home from work (many of which cant afford to do so) which is a big event in itself. So i get why alot goes into the decision whether or not to close schools. Plus as i've read many students depend on it for Breakfast and lunch. For us in NJ its easy to say close school. But in the largest school district in the country, there is a lot more that goes into that decision.

Im sure in the coming days we will get a more thorough explanation. But i am curious to know how most folks who send kids to school in NYC feel about it.

Old 02-13-2014, 07:18 PM

105 posts, read 166,888 times
They were right to keep the schools open. Life shouldn't stop just because there's some snow. It's the Northeast. Snow happens.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > New Jersey