Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > New Jersey
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 12-01-2007, 07:01 PM

10 posts, read 47,138 times

Advertisements

For anyone considering relocating to NJ Hillside, NJ is a great town, small, the people are friendly. I've lived here for 9 years I'm a teacher and my husband is an Engineer. it's a well integrated community in terms of age and race. I've dropped my wallet on the street and my neighbor returned it with everything. I've dropped my car key on the sidewalk next to my garage and found it the next afternoon, I've left my van open and never had a problem, I was gone out of town for a week and there was a snow storm and my neighbor removed all of the snow. It might not be as prestigious as some of the other towns, but it's a great place to live, it's accessible and affordable.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 12-01-2007, 10:06 PM

526 posts, read 2,068,554 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Hillsidelover View Post
For anyone considering relocating to NJ Hillside, NJ is a great town, small, the people are friendly. I've lived here for 9 years I'm a teacher and my husband is an Engineer. it's a well integrated community in terms of age and race. I've dropped my wallet on the street and my neighbor returned it with everything. I've dropped my car key on the sidewalk next to my garage and found it the next afternoon, I've left my van open and never had a problem, I was gone out of town for a week and there was a snow storm and my neighbor removed all of the snow. It might not be as prestigious as some of the other towns, but it's a great place to live, it's accessible and affordable.
If it's so great, then why are you moving?

Old 12-02-2007, 05:14 AM

The only reason I'm moving is due to my job.
Quote:
Originally Posted by E-TOWN-R.I.P. View Post
If it's so great, then why are you moving?

Old 12-02-2007, 08:06 PM

131 posts, read 605,097 times
I know Hillside like a back of my hand and i agree it has some good parts and one great part which is Westminister section but other sections next to Newark and IRvington are nothing better then its next door neighbors, I used to do a lot of driving there and seen a gas attendand being robbed and shot in a middle of the day on Libery Ave, run down houses with borded up windows and a lot of crime. Knew people that lived right on border of Newark in Hillside and had to move out due to crime. But if you pass rd 22 and railroad tracks on Conant St you wont believe you are still in same town. That part is really safe and beautiful and house prices are pretty high too.

Old 12-03-2007, 01:38 PM

1,977 posts, read 7,754,723 times
Yeah, comming from Elizabeth originally I would say its no better than any of the city areas around it. Westminster might be a diff story but it gets soo much traffic from locals going through it Im surprised its stayed as nice as it has. (Phil Rizzutos house is gorgeous -if dated)

Old 12-04-2007, 02:19 AM

I don't think this is an accurate accessment of Hillside at all, Have you lived here, besides driving have you even got out and walk the streets. In Hillside, there are few homes boarded up, in fact if you drive by the sections near Irvington and Newark, you don't see people on the street, if you call the police department the'll tell you, most of the time they're on coffee breaks on liberty, Hillside has few crimes, I live here I jog in the neighborhood everymorning, there is no such thing going on here. I'll submit some pictures when I get a chance.

Old 12-04-2007, 08:55 AM

I live town next door to it and pass through it every day and i know people that live there and see what happens there that some had to move out to a better section away from Newark/Irvington part due to crime. They now live in Westminister section and are happy but others i knew had to move out out of town. I am not saying that its like Irvington and Newark but crime from those 2 cities go past the border of Hillside. I see that Hillside is working hard to make it nice again and not to go down and they are doing good job by doing the streets, building new stores and cleaning up some rundown houses. I give that town a lot of credit for doing that much for the town not to go down and keep it under control but we have to face it that it has some higher crime parts and in last 10 years didnt get better but worse in that field.

Old 12-04-2007, 11:58 AM

526 posts, read 2,068,554 times
Hillside Township Crime Report

General Information: Violent vs. Property Crime Rate:
State: New Jersey (NJ) Violent Crime Property Crime
City Population: 22,116

Murder: 3
Forcible Rape: 6
Robbery: 55
Aggravated Assault: 39
Burglary: 230
Larceny or Theft: 430
Car Theft: 230
Arson: 1

Yeah, there's hardly ever any crime in Hillside ...

Old 12-04-2007, 12:11 PM

9,124 posts, read 36,377,466 times
Well, your chances of getting murdered in any particular year are only 1 in 8,000- that's not too bad.....lol.

Old 12-04-2007, 01:18 PM

Probably you may live there and never see it or nothing may happen to you but what happens around you is different story.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > New Jersey