Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > New Jersey
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 02-21-2014, 03:05 PM

31,771 posts, read 40,693,520 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by captne76 View Post
That's a common misconception. A double solid line means you can't switch lanes. A single solid line means you can if you can see a certain number of feet, FYI.

holy crap, look at that. im not entirely sure that explanation really works, but it does leave more wiggle room than i originally thought.

Chapter 4: Traffic Control | New York State DMV
"Single solid line: You may pass other vehicles or change lanes, but you should do so only if obstructions in the road make it necessary or traffic conditions require it."
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 02-21-2014, 03:06 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by HubCityMadMan View Post
Trucks go right down the middle.

ive seen plenty of trucks stay in one lane. but when a big truck goes in the middle, i dont get bothered by it. if he isnt comfortable with his ability to stay in the lane, i dont want to get next to him. its more understandable than a typical car or suv.

Old 02-21-2014, 03:09 PM

12,883 posts, read 13,988,455 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by captne76 View Post
That's a common misconception. A double solid line means you can't switch lanes. A single solid line means you can if you can see a certain number of feet, FYI.
Quote:
Originally Posted by CaptainNJ View Post
holy crap, look at that. im not entirely sure that explanation really works, but it does leave more wiggle room than i originally thought.

Chapter 4: Traffic Control | New York State DMV
"Single solid line: You may pass other vehicles or change lanes, but you should do so only if obstructions in the road make it necessary or traffic conditions require it."
Oh, good to know thanks!

Old 02-21-2014, 07:08 PM

11,879 posts, read 14,206,770 times
NJ drivers are slow . Not along the Parkway, where NOBODY (and I mean Nobody) follows the posted speed limit.

NY drivers hog the left lane like others here mentioned, and shift lanes withoiut signalling. One lady from NY almost hit me yesterday by not signalling while shifting lanes. All I could do was blare my horn. I know its not good driver etiquette, but what else do you expect as a warning.

Old 02-21-2014, 07:38 PM

1,247 posts, read 3,025,248 times
The Outerbridge Crossing and Goethals Bridge both opened on the same day in 1928 when most cars, and vehicles in general were constructed and built very differently than today. The weight standards on most bridges were also much lower than today.

These kinds of bridges are simply not meant to handle large vehicles like tractor-trailers and other large "transport" vehicles of today.

Old 02-21-2014, 07:39 PM

10,222 posts, read 19,210,835 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Adi from the Brunswicks View Post
NJ drivers are slow . Not along the Parkway, where NOBODY (and I mean Nobody) follows the posted speed limit.
There's always that ONE GUY in the old station wagon with broken springs, doing 50 in one of the center lanes.

On the other hand on the turnpike when it's not congested, 80's the limit often enough. The LOWER limit.

Quote:
All I could do was blare my horn. I know its not good driver etiquette, but what else do you expect as a warning.
Sounding the horn to warn of impending collision is exactly what the horn is for. Well, that and notifying the driver ahead that it's time to put the phone down and drive because the light is green.

Old 02-21-2014, 07:48 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by nybbler View Post
There's always that ONE GUY in the old station wagon with broken springs, doing 50 in one of the center lanes.
Yeah, we all hate being stuck behind that guy.

Quote:
On the other hand on the turnpike when it's not congested, 80's the limit often enough. The LOWER limit.
I would peg the lower limit at 70 mph when its not congested.

Quote:
Sounding the horn to warn of impending collision is exactly what the horn is for. Well, that and notifying the driver ahead that it's time to put the phone down and drive because the light is green.
I believe she was busy on the phone while changing lanes, and doubt she even realized what was happening at 60 mph. Not the safest thing to do, but hey there are lots of bad drivers out there and I happened to honk at one of them.

Old 02-21-2014, 08:13 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by HubCityMadMan View Post
The Outerbridge Crossing and Goethals Bridge both opened on the same day in 1928 when most cars, and vehicles in general were constructed and built very differently than today. The weight standards on most bridges were also much lower than today.

These kinds of bridges are simply not meant to handle large vehicles like tractor-trailers and other large "transport" vehicles of today.
what's your point?

Old 02-21-2014, 08:32 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by CaptainNJ View Post
what's your point?
Its really very simple:

Larger Vehicles on smaller roads = Choking of traffic due to lower speeds for safe maneuverability .

Old 02-21-2014, 10:17 PM

88,569 posts, read 84,777,093 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Mightyqueen801 View Post
LOL, no, they aren't. I've driven over it many times and managed to stay in my lane. I think a lot of people of space-perception issues.
"have". Duh on me.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > New Jersey