Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > New Jersey
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 02-20-2014, 07:05 AM

23,533 posts, read 17,211,948 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by 908Boi View Post
A student goes to a frat party...................obviously his killer is a student/recent student/someone at the parties

why would you assume its a "townie"?
Why? statistics!

OP warning wasn't about RU students.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 02-20-2014, 07:17 AM

65 posts, read 190,390 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Kracer View Post
Why? statistics!

OP warning wasn't about RU students.

Can you share the statistics you are refering to that indicate this would have been done by a "townie"as they relate to the known facts so far?

Old 02-20-2014, 07:33 AM

1,846 posts, read 2,044,242 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by BarryMB View Post
Can you share the statistics you are refering to that indicate this would have been done by a "townie"as they relate to the known facts so far?
Give me a break have you ever even been to NB?

Old 02-20-2014, 08:48 AM

65 posts, read 190,390 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by hooplaman View Post
Give me a break have you ever even been to NB?

Ok - I'll give you a break - been to "NB" quite often - going this weekend as a matter of fact.

Ever been to a frat party and seen how quickly things can get out of control with the right mixture of alcohol and attitudes?

Old 02-20-2014, 09:56 AM

1,846 posts, read 2,044,242 times
Quote:
Ok - I'll give you a break - been to "NB" quite often - going this weekend as a matter of fact.

Ever been to a frat party and seen how quickly things can get out of control with the right mixture of alcohol and attitudes?
Not enough to get someone killed...

I have spent tons of time at college ave.

Not to mention the fact that my whole family has gone to that Rutgers campus.

Old 02-20-2014, 06:08 PM

10,181 posts, read 10,253,645 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by 908Boi View Post
A student goes to a frat party...................obviously his killer is a student/recent student/someone at the parties

why would you assume its a "townie"?
I'm pretty sure I said I wouldn't be surprised, but I'm a LL to students ONLY in NB, where would you like me to start?

Most recently a man (not a student) knocked on the door of one of my properties "looking" for someone who he said had just moved out. This property sits directly across the street from a group of dorms. The kids in both units had been there for 2 years. No one of that name was a recent tenant. 2nd floor tenant who had opened the main door and had the conversation with this man went to class. 10 minutes later his girlfriend called him to tell him that someone had broken in to the apartment. Kicked in the front door, made his way up to the second floor, kicked in the door to that apartment. Tenant's girlfriend screamed and the guy ran. She was lucky.

The majority of our employees are RU students. One was riding his bike home from an evening class and got shot in the leg by the Ale N Witch from a scuffle going on between a man and a woman (not students, but NB residents).

Another employee of our was mugged and beat up walking home from visiting friends who lived on Louis St. Not by students.

A few summers ago I was driving through NB to get to Stage Left, I was hosting a small party there in a few weeks. Traffic was backed up and I was in my car waiting for it to move when to my right I saw a group of women, dressed very nicely, standing outside a restaurant. A man dressed in a tank top who was obviously not a part of the group was also very obviously annoying this group of women and one woman said something back to him. She turned her back to him and the group of women started to walk away but this guy grabbed that one woman's arm and punched her in the head a few times. Yes I called the cops, but by the time I had gotten through, the cops were speeding past me in the opposite lane.

This past summer we renovated the units in one of our properties. Also directly across the street from the dorms, but not the same one I mentioned above. I went to check on the progress one late afternoon and I noticed a guy walking up and down the block. I left to go check on another property, the one mentioned above, and during the drive which was an entire two blocks down and half a block up I saw 3 girls/women spread out, looking up and down the block. No back-packs, no bags, obviously not students. They looked like they hadn't showered for weeks, had shorts on they never should have, and half shirts. On my way back, the guy was walking with one of them, on his cell phone, and pointing one other that was a little farther away. When I finally left, after warning the contractors to lock up and take their tools home with them, I drove around a few blocks looking for this guy/girls. I saw him outside the school on a pay phone, and one of the girls was getting in to a car. Doesn't take a genius.

The rapes and break-ins that happened a few years back - and in the College Ave area of off-campus houses, were not done by students.

We have clientele who live around Throop and Commercial - they tell us how active the gangs are, and apparently the latin gang has grown substantially in the past few years.

Part of my town boarders NB. When I read about a shooting/drug deal/gun deal etc., having "gone down" in that end of town, guess where the ones who were caught are from 99% of the time?

Old 02-20-2014, 06:24 PM

1,174 posts, read 1,747,665 times
Quote:

i have to agree. reading this story it sounds more like a drunk party going seriously wrong.

Old 02-20-2014, 06:27 PM

1,712 posts, read 2,906,226 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Sawdustmaker View Post
The area where this boy's body was found has been recommended as being one of the "safer" places to live. It's a "college" street where the majority if not all residents are student renters.

I don't know how this is going to play out, but I'd be very surprised if it ends up being anything other than "townies" who did this to him. That is, of course, if it's ever found out who killed him.

New Jersey College Student Found Beaten to Death in Backyard: Prosecutors | NBC New York
It was a party, there was probably alcohol and girls involved.

It's highly unlikely that it was a random murder.

I don't see how that reflects the overall safety of the community. However, I do agree that you really have to keep your guard up at parties; especially if you plan to get drunk.

Old 02-20-2014, 06:27 PM

3,984 posts, read 7,074,069 times
Just continue to gentrify NB and all the icky people will vanish.

Old 02-20-2014, 06:31 PM

10,181 posts, read 10,253,645 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by EBWick View Post
Just continue to gentrify NB and all the icky people will vanish.
That hasn't exactly worked.

You can build, but they ain't coming.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > New Jersey