Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > New Jersey
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 02-22-2014, 10:47 PM

1,173 posts, read 1,757,684 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by KoalaNJ View Post
I'd be leery of any town that does not have train access. When the Pulaski skyway closes shortly, commuting to JC via bus is likely to become much longer and much more of a headache. To your list I'd add Madison, the Chathams, Basking Ridge/Bernards Twp., Berkeley Hts, New Providence, and Convent Station to name but a few. I really comes down to what the op is looking for in a new community - walkable downtown? Rural? more urban/suburban? etc.

KoalaNJ
agreed. I dont think you can really easily commute to JC via bus outside hudson county so you will want to use the train for your commute. All the towns i listed and the towns Koala listed i believe have train access to NYC and JC via Hoboken. The towns are all different so it really will depend on what type of feel your looking for.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 02-22-2014, 11:11 PM

1,450 posts, read 3,471,538 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by pinkydapimp View Post
agreed. I dont think you can really easily commute to JC via bus outside hudson county so you will want to use the train for your commute. All the towns i listed and the towns Koala listed i believe have train access to NYC and JC via Hoboken. The towns are all different so it really will depend on what type of feel your looking for.

Livingston does not have a train station. You can drive from your home to the Livingston Mall, then pay to use the jitney from there that goes to the So. Orange train station, and then take a local train (think slow stopping at every station) to Hoboken, transfer to light rail to JC, which in my opinion would be a royal PIA. Very long commute with several transfers. I'd take Livingston off the list entirely simply for the painful commute, especially since you really do not want to drive into JC when the Pulaski closes.

KoalaNJ

Old 02-22-2014, 11:27 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by KoalaNJ View Post
Livingston does not have a train station. You can drive from your home to the Livingston Mall, then pay to use the jitney from there that goes to the So. Orange train station, and then take a local train (think slow stopping at every station) to Hoboken, transfer to light rail to JC, which in my opinion would be a royal PIA. Very long commute with several transfers. I'd take Livingston off the list entirely simply for the painful commute, especially since you really do not want to drive into JC when the Pulaski closes.

KoalaNJ
That's the exact commute I do. 7:05 shuttle to the train gets you in Hoboken at 7:50am and NYC at 8:04. It's not that bad especially if good schools are a consideration. You do have to give or take 30 mins in case of delays however. From livingston you can also drive to Harrison and take the path train which can even be quicker depending on the times you are commuting.

Old 02-23-2014, 06:54 AM

1,319 posts, read 4,263,015 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Mamtarao13 View Post
Pinky our budget is Abt USD 3000..we are looking at atleast 2 bedroom and 2 bath
Apartment with a nice neighborhood...
I have been told even charter schools are good.so can we explore
That option as well.. An hour of commute would be fine .
I'm going to be blunt so please don't get offended because it sounds like you are bit clueless on education system in US and Jersey City.

At 3k for 2/2 (bedroom, bath), it will be quite difficult to get into good neighborhoods in JC (downtown area such as Grove, Hamilton, Van Vorst, Paulus Hook, Newport, Exchange, etc.). You have more realistic shot of getting 2/2 at 3k in JSQ (Journal Square) or surrounding area which is lot more urban and gritty.

Regarding Charter schools, charter means your kid's spot is NOT guaranteed. It is like saying I heard Stuvyesant High school is good. Yes, Sty good but it doesn't mean your kid's spot is guaranteed. Majority of folks get rejected for few spots available in Charter and competition is fierce.

You can try to take your chances but just remember that if your application is rejected, your only alternative choice is going to private school or attending JC public school. So think about that.

If you want more realistic suggestions from people on this forum on realistic town to live in. Please read and answer this https://www.city-data.com/forum/new-j...residents.html

Reality is for 3k budget for 2/2 and easy/quick commute to Manhattan, and good public school district do not come together easily. You will likely need to up the budget, face longer or less easy commute. For example, you can get 2/2 in Edgewater at 3k no problem. Edgewater has good public school system but the commute will definitely more than a hour and public bus system in NJ sucks.

Old 05-05-2014, 01:45 PM

1 posts, read 1,084 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Mamtarao13 View Post
We are looking at moving to Jersey city somewhere in mid April.
While my husband will be commuting to manhattan considering his
Office is located there.
I would like to know of some good schools in jersey city area.
My elder one is 7yrs and younger one is 3yrs old
So I would like both of them to be in the same school
If possible....it would be I great help if we would know Abt the school
Beforehand...thank you

h
Hi,

I am also moving to NY in early summer. My husband job will be in Jersey City and we are wondering what will be safe and descent neighborhood options. We have 2 small babies no yet in school age but will be soon. Our budget is around 5k for rent. Is there a neighborhood no to far from NYC where we can rent a 3 bedroom house instead of apartment?

Old 05-05-2014, 02:03 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by merengera View Post
h
Hi,

I am also moving to NY in early summer. My husband job will be in Jersey City and we are wondering what will be safe and descent neighborhood options. We have 2 small babies no yet in school age but will be soon. Our budget is around 5k for rent. Is there a neighborhood no to far from NYC where we can rent a 3 bedroom house instead of apartment?
Hey Merengera,

I would suggest starting a new thread so that you get more accurate responses. But to answer your question, in your budget of $5000 a month rent, you should be able to find what your looking for. It really then comes down to how long of a commute are you ok with.

Old 05-05-2014, 06:10 PM

3,022 posts, read 5,887,092 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by merengera View Post
h
Hi,

2nd the idea of starting your own thread.

Living in Jersey City is OK until you need good public schools. Where you end up living may depend on commuting. Is his job near the PATH train or Light Rail?

Light rail:
https://www.njtransit.com/sf/sf_serv...on=LightRailTo

The site for the PATH seems to be down.

You may want to look at what towns have NJ Transit trains going into Hoboken or Newark. www.njtransit.com

He can switch to a PATH train at either Hoboken or Newark. The PATH will get him to JC.

From Hoboken he'll also have the option of taking the Light Rail to JC.

So, first find out exactly where his office is located in regards to transportation.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > New Jersey