Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > New Jersey
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 05-03-2014, 10:22 AM

398 posts, read 742,427 times

Advertisements

Hi All-
I recently moved down South for work (originally from Boston) and it's just.. different. Not good not bad. Just different and while weather's nice and rent is cheap, I don't see myself here perm. Perhaps born and bred, I just fit into the Northeast more My company has an office in NYC/Piscataway and I think once I finish with my project down here, I'm going to try and push for my relocation back up North (shouldn't be a prob) asap. Most likely I'd be in the NJ office, switching between NYC from time to time. Since the office is located in Piscataway, was wondering if you guys can give me some insight?

How big is the Asian population there? I'm Asian and NOT racist, just like my Asian amenities and accessibility where else down here, I'm like the only one around town.

What is the average rent we are looking at? I'm probably going to have 2 other roommates which I don't mind at all, and no luxury needed. Just looking for affordability and safety.

What's the recommended 'area' if I were to work in Piscataway and probably NYC a few times a month?

How is the public transport?

Thanks!
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 05-03-2014, 10:48 AM

882 posts, read 1,661,175 times
Piscataway/New Brunswick have a very large Asian population nearby. Some of the best Korean and Thai places in the state are in that area, you will be far from the only Asian-American in the area. If you work in Piscataway you will need a car, there isn't much public transit in that direction. For NYC, you can take an NJ transit train, there are stations in New Brunswick, Edison, Woodbridge, etc. Downtown New Brunswick is the most happening area in the region, although it's a college town, there are also businesses and apartments that cater to professionals. Nearby Highland Park is a cheaper, more low-key alternative, still within walking distance of downtown NB. With roommates you shouldn't have too much trouble swinging the rent.

Old 05-03-2014, 10:50 AM

19,045 posts, read 25,133,775 times
The Asian population in Piscataway is actually quite large, and accounts for 33% of the folks in that town. My best guess is that the majority of those Asians are from the Indian subcontinent and from The Philippines, with some Chinese also.

As to rents, I think you have to assume that rent will cost at least $1,200 per month, and you need to be aware that utility costs are higher in NJ than they are in The South.

I don't consider any parts of Piscataway to be unsafe, although some areas are certainly nicer than others. Public transportation is...not so great. You will have to drive to another town (Bound Brook or Dunellen) in order to catch an NJ Transit train. There is bus service, but being in the 'burbs, most people rely on their cars.

Old 05-03-2014, 11:30 AM

81 posts, read 183,741 times
Edison has a large asian population also. It is right on the main line also.

Old 05-03-2014, 12:05 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by NJhighlands87 View Post
For NYC, you can take an NJ transit train, there are stations in New Brunswick, Edison, Woodbridge, etc.
That is true, but the NJ Transit stations in Dunellen and Bound Brook are closer to most parts of Piscataway than the NJ Transit stations in Edison and New Brunswick. The NJ Transit station in Woodbridge is not really close to Piscataway at all.

Taking an NJ Transit train from Edison or New Brunswick has the advantage of getting you into NYC a bit faster, simply because the Northeast Corridor trains on that line run directly into NY Penn Station, while the Raritan Valley line trains that stop in Dunellen and Bound Brook don't run directly to NYC, and it is necessary to change trains in Newark.

On the other hand, finding a parking space near the Edison and New Brunswick NJ Transit stations can be...much more difficult...than finding parking near the Bound Brook or Dunellen NJ Transit stations.

Old 05-03-2014, 08:05 PM

398 posts, read 742,427 times
Yess! Glad to know there's a huge asian population!!! Man, moving down South has really made me miss Boston/the Northeast!!!! Even for the hell of the cold weather and snow, I'd still appreciate it. :'(
$1200/month for rent??? :O Is that average per person? I mean, I'm from Boston so I know how expensive it can get but I was able to easily find places that were like $600/month with 2 other roommates o_O
I'm definitely going to have my car... how are parking in Piscataway in general? In Boston, it was a b**** with so many rules and regulations. Permit parking only, etc. Should I expect the same?

Old 05-03-2014, 09:00 PM

1,163 posts, read 1,798,383 times
Piscataway isn't NYC.
Parking permit is only an issue at the train stations.

Old 05-04-2014, 07:34 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by K.Uni View Post
$1200/month for rent??? :O Is that average per person? I mean, I'm from Boston so I know how expensive it can get but I was able to easily find places that were like $600/month with 2 other roommates o_O
I'm definitely going to have my car... how are parking in Piscataway in general? In Boston, it was a b**** with so many rules and regulations. Permit parking only, etc. Should I expect the same?
The $1,200 reference was meant to indicate the probable monthly cost for renting a one (or--possibly--two bedroom) apt. Obviously, sharing an apt will bring your costs down proportionately.

Apartment complexes nowadays have their own parking areas, and parking is rarely a problem unless people invite many guests to a party or other gathering. Street parking is almost unlimited in most parts of Piscataway.

Old 05-04-2014, 11:05 AM

4,940 posts, read 12,088,757 times
When I used to work in Piscataway I lived in Highland Park which is the next town over. Highland Park is a nice little quaint town and if you live in the southern part of town you would be within walking distance to the New Brunswick train station. There are tons and tons of apartments to choose from in Highland Park. I used to live in the Orchard Gardens complex in the northern part of town near the Edison border.

Old 05-05-2014, 02:49 PM

256 posts, read 570,508 times
So many great choices.

New Brunswick- home to Rutgers, college town, nice bars and restaurants- want to stay downtown or will be with college students or not so hot an area

Highland Park- right across the bridge from New Brunswick, lots of restaurants, lots of professors

Edison and Piscataway are typical NJ suburban towns. Edison has two train stations and a mall. Edison is considered more exclusive and Northern Edison is particularly exclusive. Metuchen is a nice little downtown with a train station surrounded by Edison.

These are probably the main areas...the area is heavily Asian...mostly Indians but some Chinese and Korean as well, and Rutgers is 25% Asian students from all over the US and World.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > New Jersey