Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > New Jersey
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 02-22-2014, 11:27 AM

550 posts, read 965,921 times

Advertisements

So this town has been in the news because of the story below:

Attorney: Phillipsburg High Wrestlers’ ‘Lynching’ Photo Was ‘Spontaneous,’ Meant ‘Innocently’ « CBS New York

I've actually never heard of the town before all this came out. Since then, a colleague told me that it's a town that's really devoted to its wrestling team which is the center of this whole controversy, but he couldn't tell me more about the town itself.

What is Phillipsburg, NJ like?
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 02-22-2014, 11:37 AM

19,127 posts, read 25,331,967 times
Phillipsburg is essentially a run-down town that went into decline when the manufacturing jobs in the area dried-up. In other words, it has seen better days.

Then again, maybe it just looks less inviting because it sits across the Delaware from the much more interesting town of Easton, PA. (sarcasm intentional)

If you are contemplating moving there, you should be aware that P-burg sits squarely on the Reading Prong, which makes it subject to very high radon gas levels in buildings. I know somebody who bought a run-down multi-family dwelling in the hope of fixing it up and flipping it, but when he realized the costs that would be involved to remediate the incredibly high radon gas levels in the building (over and above the other needed renovations), he just walked away from his bargain property.

Old 02-22-2014, 03:21 PM

2,942 posts, read 6,007,508 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Retriever View Post
Phillipsburg is essentially a run-down town that went into decline when the manufacturing jobs in the area dried-up. In other words, it has seen better days.

Then again, maybe it just looks less inviting because it sits across the Delaware from the much more interesting town of Easton, PA. (sarcasm intentional)

If you are contemplating moving there, you should be aware that P-burg sits squarely on the Reading Prong, which makes it subject to very high radon gas levels in buildings. I know somebody who bought a run-down multi-family dwelling in the hope of fixing it up and flipping it, but when he realized the costs that would be involved to remediate the incredibly high radon gas levels in the building (over and above the other needed renovations), he just walked away from his bargain property.

It's not as run down as some of the towns you pass by on 1 and 9, that look like shanty towns, or some of the towns down south. There's nothing really down there, it has seen better days but then again so have many towns in the U.S. or Jersey if that matters. BTW, there is radon in many towns, if your friend had a good inspector he would have had the radon test conducted prior to purchase. Sometimes flippers get burned. Another word for a flipper - a speculator. Bulls and bears make money, pigs (speculators) get slaughtered at the trough.

Old 02-22-2014, 04:57 PM

3,984 posts, read 7,076,477 times
Yes Pburg is one of the big wrestling schools in NJ.

I personally never saw the attraction of rolling around on filthy mats grabbing another kid's sweaty private parts.

Old 02-22-2014, 06:25 PM

2,715 posts, read 11,909,084 times
Crappy town with a major highway running through it. I don't know why this type of town has always been known for their wrestling talent, but it has like Kearny with Soccer and Bosco with football. Kearny and Bosco I can understand why, but not P'burg.

P'burg high is a regional high school I believe and since Bosco is private I guess they are too.

You are better of in Easton.

Old 02-22-2014, 06:48 PM

550 posts, read 965,921 times
I knew it was near PA but it's actually further south than I imagined. I thought it was closer to Route 80.

Yeah Bosco football...it's changed so much in just a couple of decades.

As far as Phillipsburg wrestling is concerned, I suppose somewhere along the way, it built itself a strong reputation and they've been able to keep it that way, though I do wonder what this fallout will do to the program.

Old 02-23-2014, 05:27 AM

7,221 posts, read 11,935,683 times
Wrestling is big in Warren County in general. The Warren Hills/P'burg wrestling rivalry is pretty big. I wouldn't recommend living in P'burg. The crime rate is really high in comparison to other Warren County towns.

Old 02-23-2014, 06:56 AM

807 posts, read 1,033,309 times
White trash, high crime, among the worst schools in the state. Although it is an urban renewal zone, so sales tax is only 3% last time I checked.

Old 02-23-2014, 11:28 AM

3,984 posts, read 7,076,477 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by fred44 View Post
White trash, high crime, among the worst schools in the state. Although it is an urban renewal zone, so sales tax is only 3% last time I checked.
If these yoots are any indication, they live in the stone age up there.

Old 02-23-2014, 05:10 PM

882 posts, read 1,670,862 times
I was to Phillipsburgh a few weeks ago. I really liked the architecture there, lots of nineteenth-century architecture, fits in with the industrial Lehigh Valley-style. It was quite scenic along the river. That said, it's a economically depressed area that's lost its employment base. They do take their high school sports seriously, all I saw driving in were banners parotting their state, section champs and whatnot. Overall, that area of far Warren County is probably one of the less-know areas of North Jersey.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > New Jersey