Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > New Jersey
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 02-22-2014, 02:42 PM

3 posts, read 7,723 times

Advertisements

I just moved to NYC and will need to commute to one of the Cranford/Rahway/Westfield/Linden train stations. My preference would be Linden or Rahway since they have a direct line, but I'm open as long as I can leave my car at the station each night and on weekends. I will also work from home a bit, so I don't want to have to go in just to the parking fee each day. I know most if not all of these stations have a waiting list to receive a parking permit, so until I'm able to get one, how would I pay for parking if I decide to work from home? Any help would be greatly appreciated!
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 02-22-2014, 03:55 PM

595 posts, read 672,116 times
I don't have specific knowledge of these stations, so hopefully someone will come along who can say for sure. However, in my experience with the park and rides I am familiar with, they prohibit overnight parking. You might occasionally get away with it, but you're more likely to get ticketed or towed.

Old 02-22-2014, 04:09 PM

2,942 posts, read 5,985,838 times
Why not just take the train to one of those train stations? Why drive? Take the PATH to Newark, catch NJ Transit to one of those train stations. Take the train back to the city. You won't be able to leave your car overnight - they won't permit it.

Old 02-22-2014, 05:23 PM

10,218 posts, read 19,094,071 times
He's trying to reverse-commute, I think, and needs a car at the station to get to work. I'd suggest taking the PATH to Harrison or Newark, or NJT to Newark, Elizabeth, Rahway (not sure), or Metropark, and getting a garage space. Most NJT parking lots don't allow overnight parking.

Old 02-22-2014, 09:46 PM

5,766 posts, read 16,494,290 times
Me thinks if you look around enough you can find a real legal parking space a few blocks, maybe a 5 minute walk out from some train stations. Usually in many towns you might have 2 hour parking weekdays closer to the train station but when you go 1/4 mile out or so (a few blocks) you will eventually find a legal spot where you can park 24 hours, quite possibly Eff Arr triple EEE free. Or you might find some private house or business owner where you can arrange to park at a reasonable fee with no restrictions on coming and going.

Old 02-23-2014, 07:42 AM

Thanks for all the info thus far. I had a coworker reverse commute about 8 years ago from NYC and parked at one of the NJ stations, although on a different line further north than Cranford or Rahway. If I can't park at the stations, any other options on getting to work from the Cranford or Rahway stations? It would be about a 10 minute car ride from there, so walking really isn't an option. Surely there are others with the commuting dilemma. Any suggestions?

Old 02-23-2014, 07:59 AM

1,174 posts, read 1,738,962 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Cityquestions1 View Post
Thanks for all the info thus far. I had a coworker reverse commute about 8 years ago from NYC and parked at one of the NJ stations, although on a different line further north than Cranford or Rahway. If I can't park at the stations, any other options on getting to work from the Cranford or Rahway stations? It would be about a 10 minute car ride from there, so walking really isn't an option. Surely there are others with the commuting dilemma. Any suggestions?
Most of them just move to NJ. Can you carpool with someone from the office from the train station? Short of getting a monthly spot at a garage in Newark or Harrison and parking there, i dont see any other reasonable options.

Old 02-23-2014, 10:12 AM

4,073 posts, read 8,940,193 times
Check the site for individual station parking info: New Jersey Transit

It really varies a lot by station. I'm on the Morris line and when I've had to park for a couple days, I can't park at my usual station and go to Convent instead.

Old 02-23-2014, 01:23 PM

10,218 posts, read 19,094,071 times
Folding bike? Might be nigh-suicide riding in that area during rush hour though.

Anyway, if you're willing to pay the money for a garage you should be able to find something workable. Rahway has a 24-hour garage, I don't know if they have availability, you should call the Rahway Parking Authority.

Old 02-23-2014, 02:03 PM

Thanks again! I don't mind paying, just need a spot overnight and weekends. I see that Rahway has overnight and weekend parking, as well as parking permits if they ever become available (waiting list). So my question is this, if I don't have a permit, would I have to pay each day for parking? In other words, I will also be working from home and would need to be able to pay for more than just 24 hrs at a time. Once I have a parking permit, I'm good... It's just the time between applying and receiving I'm concerned about. Any info on paying options?
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > New Jersey