Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > New Jersey
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 12-04-2007, 06:26 AM

604 posts, read 2,913,765 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by foodienj View Post
We would also like to live somewhere where there is a growing jewish community. We're not religious - just dont want to feel isolated . . .appreciate any more input.
You would love Warren more McMansions than anyplace in Central NJ
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 12-27-2007, 01:23 PM

230 posts, read 666,638 times
Hi Foodieng,

I recently moved to Basking Ridge last August and truely enjoy living here. My main concern was quality of public schools and access to great private schools as well. I noticed you wanted a growing Jewish Community and that however is definitely not Basking Ridge. It is mainly a Roman Catholic Community with a largely Irish/German resident base. Warren is more Italian and I would say if your looking for a more Jewish Community I would look at Livingston, Millburn, or Summit. Hope that helps.

Old 12-28-2007, 06:17 PM

64 posts, read 112,267 times
We are not living at Warren yet, but saw many open houses in Warren and Basking Ridge, and I have found for myself, Warren seemed to be easier since it is very close to Dunellen Train Stn to NYC, and the section we looked is called Rolling Hills, Wintermere, ... about 3 or 4 communities all adjacent together. We nerrow down to this area because it can walk to Warren Library that is right next to municipal complex, and park and sports area with tennis courts, basketball courts, baseball field, swimming pool ...etc, and although it is at the mountain, it is on the SOUTH side of Watchung mountain, that is to say, even Northern Jersey got snow, here may be much better. Also, it has town center with two huge supermarket, AP and King, and one more for us is the Asian Food Center down on Rt 22... I guess these two towns are all very good, and many wealthy neighbors, but it depends on where you live. Many other town you mentioned above seem to be too far or too old for us; we are not that handy, as we are immigrants, we tend to think near town is easier for us.

Old 02-06-2008, 01:44 PM

20 posts, read 140,543 times
how about Bernardsville? Any opinions on that town versus Basking ridge for families?

Old 02-07-2008, 12:27 PM

6,175 posts, read 12,935,424 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by onlineme View Post
how about Bernardsville? Any opinions on that town versus Basking ridge for families?
Both are great towns for families, with excellent school systems, a variety of shopping & recreation options, all the things you would want for a family. Bernardsville is a bit smaller, so will have fewer options for houses at any particular moment. Basking Ridge is a larger town, with more neighborhoods, and obviously, more homes available for sale.
I don't know where work, or whether these two towns are the only possibilities for you. If the Bernardsville school system is what attracted you, you might also look at Far Hills, Peapack/Gladstone, and Bedminster. Bedminster has their own school for K-8, but other than that the public schools for these towns are the Bernardsville schools. The actual district name, by the way, is The Somerset Hills Regional School District.)

Old 02-07-2008, 10:54 PM

43 posts, read 189,855 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by nobi View Post
I dont know if its his primary house or not but i seen it, and most of the people in that area know about it and they showed to me, he had and dont know if he still has a very long SUV black limo infront of his house. Its not too far from Broadway Rd in Warren.

I have heard this too, but its supposed to be hush hush. I drove by a couple of times hoping to see him, but so far no luck.

Old 02-12-2008, 05:28 PM

20 posts, read 140,543 times
thanks for the input. peapack and far hills are nice too. far hills is much too expensive and small. peapack is beautifull too, but again too small and little bit too far out of the way from any shopping. Bedminster is just too farm like. And this is how we have ended up looking in bernardsville.

It seems a little remote as well. I like basking ridge alot. I was really hoping someone would tell me that bernardsville had the same great family atomosphere with a prevailing sense of community. Preppy, yuppie, waspy.

I can't seems to make heads or tails of bernardsville mixed population...the extrodinarily wealthy, typical upper middle class mixed in with very affordable smaller housing and rentals. How does this diverse mix of population mix together?

Anyone have an inside view of the people, the community and the middle school kids in bernardsville?

Old 04-27-2010, 03:13 PM

4 posts, read 13,401 times
i realize this is an old post but i can across it while searching for info on basking ridge and warren. wondering which town the op went with? we are relocating to NJ from London (originally from Philadelphia though) and basking ridge and warren are high on our list of towns based on commute (to Raritan) and schools.
Thanks.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > New Jersey