U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > New Jersey
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 12-02-2007, 06:59 PM

6 posts, read 45,732 times

Advertisements

Hi, can someone tell me some of the pros and cons of Basking Ridge? We have young children and work in NYC.
Rate this post positively Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 12-02-2007, 07:22 PM

1,289 posts, read 5,796,725 times
Basking Ridge all the way out of the two. Basking Ridge has a more Northern town feel and by this I mean, has lots of scenery and is just different. Hard to explain really.

Warren does not seem to feel the same way to me. Many areas there can seem nice but I feel that with Route 22? being so close, it kinda kills the small town atmosphere.

Here is some more information regarding Basking Ridge:

Basking Ridge, New Jersey - Wikipedia, the free encyclopedia

Old 12-02-2007, 07:55 PM

131 posts, read 569,207 times
I have a lot of friends in Warren and during warm season i go there to flea market every sunday and since i go to Warren since 1992 it has changed a lot. Before it used to be a nice and quiet towm full of farms right now most of the farms are gone and replaced with multi milion dollar homes, so its now a very rich people town even Howard Stern has a house in Warren.

Old 12-02-2007, 08:14 PM

12,284 posts, read 33,701,749 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by nobi View Post
I have a lot of friends in Warren and during warm season i go there to flea market every sunday and since i go to Warren since 1992 it has changed a lot. Before it used to be a nice and quiet towm full of farms right now most of the farms are gone and replaced with multi milion dollar homes, so its now a very rich people town even Howard Stern has a house in Warren.
really? i haven't heard that one....

Old 12-02-2007, 09:29 PM

6,163 posts, read 12,134,382 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by foodienj View Post
Hi, can someone tell me some of the pros and cons of Basking Ridge? We have young children and work in NYC.
So much room for discussion on this question. Best is very subjective, and depends on so many things. Lacking the knowledge of exactly what makes a town good for you, we can take a look at some basic facts.
Both are very nice towns. They border each other, so your distance from highways & commuting times will differ from place to place. The eastern edge of Warren is further east than the eastern edge of Bernards, and therefore an exit closer on Rt 78 to NYC, and a shorter drive. Bernards township has two stations on the NJ transit Gladstone line (here's the NJTransit System Map), while Warren has none. Depending on where you are in Warren, you could use one of several stops on the same Gladstone line, or from the more southern parts of Warren, one or two stations on the Raritan Valley Line.

Both town have what are regarded as good school systems, though in recent comparisons, Bernards Township usually places higher in the rankings I've seen. For instance, this chart in NJMonthly (broken link)puts Ridge High (thats the High School in Bernards) at 11th on the list of top publicc high schools in NJ, while in the same ranking, Watching Hills Regional High (you guessed it, Warren's high school) places 38th. For a farily subjective view of all the numbers, go the NJ Depment of Education to look at District Report cards.

New Jersey is known for having some of the highest taxes in the nation. While that's true, these two towns have some of the lowest tax rates in the state. The 2007 tax rate in Warren is 1.65, meaning that you'll pay $1,650 dollars in taxes for each one hundred thousand dollars of assesed value. In Bernards, the tax rate is slightly lower, at 1.53.

And the current real estate market? Well, as withg much of NJ, it's favoring buyers right now, as there's a good supply of inventory, which is keeping prices down. At the moment, there are 174 properties for sale in Bernards, ranging from a one bedroom condo listed at $248k, all the way up to a spectacular 25 room custom home on almost 13 acres, priced at $11.9mil.
Of those, about 60 are townhomes or condos. In Warren, there are 111 properties for sale, from a three besdroom ranch listed at $399k to a 13 room home on almost 2 acres for $3,349,000. Interestingly, Warren has NO townhouses or condos, except for those that are either age or income restricted.

Well, there's an intro to both towns.
Just out of curiosity, how did you come to narrow it down to just these two? The towns that surround & border both of them are also very nice, and have many of the same qualities & attributes. Would towns like Bernardsville, Bridgewater, Long Hill or Berkeley Heights have been excluided from the search already?

Last edited by Bill Keegan; 12-02-2007 at 09:32 PM.. Reason: typo

Old 12-03-2007, 06:28 AM

12,284 posts, read 33,701,749 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Bill Keegan View Post
New Jersey is known for having some of the highest taxes in the nation. While that's true, these two towns have some of the lowest tax rates in the state. The 2007 tax rate in Warren is 1.65, meaning that you'll pay $1,650 dollars in taxes for each one hundred thousand dollars of assesed value. In Bernards, the tax rate is slightly lower, at 1.53.
tax rate really doesn't mean much. just because the tax rate is low doesn't mean the taxes are low - it means there was probably a reassessment in the last few years. you can't tell me warren/bernards have lower taxes than a lot of towns in south jersey.

my tax rate is really high (over 3.50) - but our assessments are less than half of actual value and we have some of the lowest taxes in the county.

bottom line, bernards and warren are great places, and yes, their taxes are on the low side for the area, but i wouldn't tout a place just because the tax "rate" is low.

Old 12-03-2007, 06:35 AM

131 posts, read 569,207 times
I dont know if its his primary house or not but i seen it, and most of the people in that area know about it and they showed to me, he had and dont know if he still has a very long SUV black limo infront of his house. Its not too far from Broadway Rd in Warren.

Old 12-03-2007, 06:37 AM

6,163 posts, read 12,134,382 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by nobi View Post
I dont know if its his primary house or not but i seen it, and most of the people in that area know about it and they showed to me, he had and dont know if he still has a very long SUV black limo infront of his house. Its not too far from Broadway Rd in Warren.
I have absolutely no clue what this is supposed to mean, relative to this thread.

Old 12-03-2007, 10:58 AM

531 posts, read 2,042,427 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Bill Keegan View Post
I have absolutely no clue what this is supposed to mean, relative to this thread.
It's about the Howard Stern reference made a few posts above.

Old 12-03-2007, 03:36 PM

6 posts, read 45,732 times
Thanks for all the responses. We are also open to berkeley heights. Bridgewater is a no and Bernardsville is beautiful but too far. I like Summit and Madison but we want some land so thats how we ended up in the 78/287 corridor. We would also like to live somewhere where there is a growing jewish community. We're not religious - just dont want to feel isolated . . .appreciate any more input.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > New Jersey