Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > New Jersey
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 12-06-2007, 05:41 PM

10 posts, read 45,582 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by TruEyeDee View Post
Thanks for the information. I appreciate it and it helps to hear something other than the murder-rate of Newark. I don't know if people are exargerating or have just had bad experiences there so there automatically going to say something negative about Newark. It helps to hear something informative from someone who actually lives there.
As for your question, I'm a member of a Church Of God assembly in Manhattan.
Are you a christian as well?
Yes I am. My church is St. James AME, Rev. Dr. William D. Watley is the pastor. St. James AME | Home. You can check out our 11am service live on www.streamingfaith.org - very cool web site, it lets you see different church services from preachers all around the country right over your computer.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 12-06-2007, 07:40 PM

10 posts, read 45,582 times
Default Local Culture ???

Quote:
Originally Posted by cyntmac View Post
Trade offs are different for everyone. Some people would be able to make a go of it in Newark with no problem but it is just silly to say that everyone should consider it at this time. Yes there are haters but many people don't have children and that is not a reason to consider Newark. What kind of logic is that? Moving there because it is the cheapest is not the right reason either. Assuming one has options, you would look at local culture (and I am not talking about a museum) as a major factor. Kind of curious.
1 - It isn't a sercet that Newarks public schools aren't the best, if you don't have children at you do not have to worry about researching schools, and finding the best charter or private school, in Newark like in most cities kids walk or use public transportation so how to get your child to school also becomes an issuse.

[SIZE=3]. [/SIZE]
[SIZE=3]2 - At 1st glance it would be easy to say that Newark is home to a bunch of Thugs and hootchie mamas but thats not the truth. As I said before my neighbors are a mixed bag of people young professionals -like myself, the flight attendant crowd, college students, immigrant families and young couples. Newark does have things to do and there are nice people to meet here, but you have to live here. My girlfriend and I had a blast at a party at aljira (center for contemporary art, on Broad Street), I was very surprised at the random cool people I met at Applebee's watching the game after work on night[/SIZE]
Newark has culture you have to be here to find it.

Old 12-06-2007, 11:14 PM

1,453 posts, read 4,930,490 times
Of course it has a culture but it is rarely mentioned on these threads on the NJ forum. The negatives are mentioned sure but other than that it's just museums and the ironbound. Most people in Newark do not have their lives revolving around these things great as they may be.

Old 02-12-2008, 08:57 AM

64 posts, read 297,706 times
question for the most of you who speak negatively about newark. how many of you live in newark? how many of you know a good amount of people in a district other than the ironbound or downtown? my sister grew up in forest hill (north newark ) and i never heard one siren. TruEyeDee trust me you should have enough street smarts from living in brooklyn that you should be fine in newark

Old 03-18-2008, 07:38 PM

38 posts, read 183,779 times
Check out East Orange,Newark's West District

Old 03-19-2008, 07:59 AM

2,689 posts, read 3,966,413 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by SOULTRAIN View Post
Check out East Orange,Newark's West District
if there was anyplace that could be a bigger s*hole than newark it would be e orange! why anyone would consider a move there when there are so many better choices is beyond me

Old 03-19-2008, 11:45 AM

16,062 posts, read 26,746,361 times
Newark is fine during the daytime. I travel into Newark several times a month; and always feel safe.

The nighttime, I can't attest to..

Old 03-24-2008, 09:19 AM

1,110 posts, read 4,371,636 times
Stay out of Newark. Its not a place you want to visit, let alone live,.

Old 03-24-2008, 09:34 AM

717 posts, read 773,633 times
Look, Newark is trying. If you work in downtown its safe. If you go into downtown at 3 am its not safe. Going to Pru Center- Devils games is safe- extra extra police presence. Newark will never be a place to move to intentionally but it has a serviceable downtown during the day and some dam good Portuguese restaurants in the ironbound.

Old 03-24-2008, 02:30 PM

7 posts, read 37,989 times
I work downtown in downtown Newark and wanted to live in a decent part of Newark but chose Highland Park because of all the negativity that I have heard about Newark. However, several people that work with me say that there are lots of really nice, safe areas of Newark to live. They live there and have never encountered a problem with respect to crime. I would love to move closer into Newark since I work here because the commute is burdensome most times.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > New Jersey