Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > New Jersey
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 12-03-2007, 10:07 AM

9,375 posts, read 20,798,823 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by colleeng47 View Post
Actually the southern part of New Jersey is below the Mason Dixon line.
Yes, strictly by definition, Atlantic City would then be sympathetic to the Confederacy. Anything south of Sicklerville is below the Mason Dixon Line. Philadelphia is about 30 miles north of the Mason Dixon Line. Montgomery County Maryland is obviously below the Mason Dixon Line. Take I-270 North, out of this affluent county, and proceed to Frederick, Hagerstown, etc, then cross the Mason-Dixon line, into Greencastle, PA. It takes about an hour and change. You'd think the entire concept of the Mason-Dixon line was inverted, 180 degrees upside down. Greencastle PA is essentially 'red state' America, and Montgomery County MD is as 'blue state' as you can get. That line is more or less an arbitrary border these days. Someone in Greencastle might be more predisposed to calling someone from NJ a "Yankee" or an interloper. The terminology for Yankee differs, depending on where you were born and raised. Raised in New Jersey, I was always conditioned to think a Yankee was anyone from New England, specifically, any area within the Boston sphere of influence, which encapsulates almost all of Vermont, New Hampshire, and all of Rhode Island, as well as 3/4 of Connecticut. Maine is a different matter. If you go up to Northern Maine, you are out of the "Yankee" sphere of influence altogether, as there is more Acadian french speaking influence and culture. Anyways, as I was taught this region is what defines one as a Yankee, the term in areas sympathetic to the Confederacy has a wider sphere of influence, to include anything along that I-95 Boston to D.C. corridor. That aforementioned region is held in contempt once you leave the urban as well as exurbs of the large southern (as well as Appalachian region) cities, such as Atlanta or Charlotte. These are the areas (mostly rural) where the Yankee connotation is divisive in nature.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 12-03-2007, 01:35 PM

687 posts, read 3,251,641 times
When I was in college in Alabama, I knew many people who considered basically anyone not from the Deep South a Yankee. It was bizarre.

Old 12-03-2007, 02:00 PM

5,818 posts, read 12,625,200 times
I live in Ocean County and some of the people in the area have the confederate flags on there pickup trucks. I talk like a Yank that lived in Brooklyn all my life. Go into the Pinelands of New Jersey and some people, some people, not all before you gang up on me act like the Civil War is still going on against us northerners. I have a question. What if you work up north and commute back down to South Jersey should I be considered a Yank or a southerner. A thread similar to this was going on for months in the general forum.

Old 12-03-2007, 02:05 PM

3,238 posts, read 8,789,302 times
I check into the Oklahoma forum because we're moving there from New Jersey in a couple of months. So I asked my OK friends are NJans considered "yankees". So far six have said a resounding "yes." So far no "no."

Old 12-03-2007, 02:11 PM

12,283 posts, read 35,688,247 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by BobKovacs View Post
You haven't spent enough time in the south and told them you were from NJ! lol

The whole "yankee" thing is blown way out of proportion anyway- while there are still little pockets of "redneck mentality" throughout the south, so much of the bigger cities are made up of people from somewhere else that it's a moot point. But for those who still use the term maliciously (or even jokingly), you are indeed a "Yankee" (among other things....lol) if you're from NJ.
but i have! that's what gets me. i've spent a lot of time in GA, TX and "old Florida" (where the majority of the guys i worked with were natives, complete with accent, no transplants - the stereotypical "good old boy") and never did i hear the term Yankee used.

Old 12-03-2007, 02:15 PM

2,736 posts, read 9,670,303 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by tahiti View Post
and never did i hear the term Yankee used.
Its because they liked you and didn't want to hurt your feelings

Old 12-03-2007, 02:28 PM

3,859 posts, read 9,978,149 times
I definitely consider myself a Yankee. In American lore the Yankee was known to be hardworking, stubborn, cantankerous, resourceful (Have you ever read "A Connecticut Yankee in King Arthur's Court"-one of my favorites), deeply introspective, and well, American. That's me to a fault A lot of friends and colleagues I've met in the work world jokingly call me a "Redneck" because I tend to be a little different than most suit-and-tie types in my line of work (hunting, fishing, choice of vehicle, etc...), but I'm a Yankee. Besides, the term Redneck actually comes from the Scots-Irish, Ulster Scots, and Lowland Scots who settled in Appalachia. I'm the other kind of Irish

"Tiocfaidh Ar La!"

Old 12-03-2007, 03:39 PM

828 posts, read 3,138,308 times
Call me anything you want.
I grew up in Northern Jersey.
I live in Southern Jersey.
I live with Pineys and wanna-be-rebels.
Personally I cannot believe that anyone of us from NJ even care if someone from the South called us a Yankee.
AT least I am not a hillbilly!

Old 12-03-2007, 03:45 PM

2,689 posts, read 3,965,745 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by mike0421 View Post
Yes, strictly by definition, Atlantic City would then be sympathetic to the Confederacy. Anything south of Sicklerville is below the Mason Dixon Line.

this is a myth, the mason dixon line makes a 90 degree turn at the PA/ DE border, and then turns east at the DE/MD border, no part of NJ is south of the line.
and as far as people in the south are concerned any northerner is a yankee, if y'all already a northerner a yankee would be from NE.
Like someone said in any of the more metropolitan southern areas it's a moot point, but every once in a while someone will get redneck on me and call me a yankee, I usually get a smile out of them when I say no, I'm a damned yankee

Old 12-03-2007, 03:49 PM

2,689 posts, read 3,965,745 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by tahiti View Post
but i have! that's what gets me. i've spent a lot of time in GA, TX and "old Florida" (where the majority of the guys i worked with were natives, complete with accent, no transplants - the stereotypical "good old boy") and never did i hear the term Yankee used.
maybe they were just being polite
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > New Jersey