Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > New Jersey
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 03-05-2014, 12:18 PM

3,859 posts, read 9,978,149 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by Freshflakes757 View Post
And a lot of girls from North Jersey are just like her -- daddy's girls and born with a silver spoon.
And South Jersey, and Pennsylvania, and New York, and Connecticut, and... Oh yeah, and there are a lot of momma's boys born with silver spoons from all of those places too
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 03-05-2014, 12:25 PM

13,404 posts, read 28,726,919 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Badfish740 View Post
And South Jersey, and Pennsylvania, and New York, and Connecticut, and... Oh yeah, and there are a lot of momma's boys born with silver spoons from all of those places too

We agree on the above

Old 03-05-2014, 01:14 PM

3,244 posts, read 5,241,062 times
Quote:
I know that my children won't be suing me.
We'll have to take your word on that. For all we know, they hate your guts, but just never thought to sue you. Prior to this, doesn't look like any other NJ kid had sued their parents.
Quote:
if my child becomes a heroin addict, a murderer, or even an unethical (but technically law abiding) person, it will be 100% mine and my wife's fault. No one else's.
Actually, it will be your children's fault. Plenty of kids have poor upbringings, but manage to get over them. Others succumb to alcohol or drugs, and blame their parents.
Quote:
Originally Posted by tahiti View Post
one thing I've learned never to say is "MY kid would never....."
Amen! But, we can't all be as good parents, as someone with 'Bad' in his screenname!
Quote:
Originally Posted by tahiti View Post
In Badfish's defense, his kid(s) are very young and hasn't had the first hand "benefit" of parenting older children.
Who knows, then.. His kids may yet set legal precedent in their own right!

Last edited by bigjake54; 03-05-2014 at 01:33 PM..

Old 03-05-2014, 01:15 PM

607 posts, read 958,135 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by njkate View Post
Hmmm I wonder why the different high schools? Did at one time Rachel have a scholarship to Morris catholic because she was an honor student and somehow lost it for not following what ever the guidelines were? Just projecting here as I think there is more to this than what's being said.
You're grasping at something that isn't there. In Lincoln Park, as well as much of the surrounding Morris County area, high school students have the option of public school at Boonton, the catholic/private schools in the area (MC, DePaul, Mary Help, etc.), the Gateway Academy (a high academic achievement program within Boonton) or the academies under the Morris County Tech umbrella, which have specific targeted specialties (from their website - Morris County Vocational School District ):
• Child Related Careers (CRC)
• Computer and Information Science (CIS)

• Culinary Arts (CA)
• Design (DSN)

• Finance and International Business (FIB)
• Health Care Sciences (HCS)

• Veterinary Science (VET)
•Visual & Performing Arts (VPA)

Rachel has gone to Morris Catholic all four years. her younger sister applied for and was accepted to Morris Tech.

No reason to project any additional unfounded speculation, gossip or worse to what is already a terrible ordeal for the family
(gotta love the brave souls hiding behind their keyboards spewing garbage on the myriad news articles that have run the story).

Old 03-05-2014, 01:53 PM

3,859 posts, read 9,978,149 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by bigjake54 View Post
We'll have to take your word on that. For all we know, they hate your guts, but just never thought to sue you. Prior to this, doesn't look like any other NJ kid had sued their parents...Actually, it will be your children's fault. Plenty of kids have poor upbringings, but manage to get over them. Others succumb to alcohol or drugs, and blame their parents...Amen! But, we can't all be as good parents, as someone with 'Bad' in his screenname! Who knows, then.. His kids may yet set legal precedent in their own right!
Never claimed to be a perfect parent, just said that if I fail as a parent and my kid doesn't turn out right, that I'll own that failure 100%. So if they do sue me, I'll have no one to blame but myself.

Old 03-05-2014, 02:19 PM

20,329 posts, read 19,921,823 times
Quote:
....... Children who are raised with the values of hard work, discipline, independence, and ethical behavior are not going to be pursuing a payday via the court system later in life. .......
If only parenting were that easy and cut 'n dried.

There's plenty of young adults who decided to do it "their way" after they hit their teens who also had good, loving parents who raised them with the values you mentioned.

Old 03-05-2014, 02:22 PM

3,244 posts, read 5,241,062 times
Quote:
Never claimed to be a perfect parent, just said that if I fail as a parent and my kid doesn't turn out right, that I'll own that failure 100%. So if they do sue me, I'll have no one to blame but myself.
LOL! Still, I disagree with your opinion. You could, in fact, be an excellent parent, but your child could still develop problems. I know plenty of parents who have spent fortunes trying to straighten out their own children. Private schools, counseling, in-patient treatment, etc. Not all were to blame. Some have guilt, nonetheless.
These parents appear to have taken a hard line. Would we have done the same? No. But, she's now an adult and needs to realize that, while her parents can't control her, she can't control them either.
The parents probably signed a tuition guarantee, so the high school could probably sue them for the unpaid balance. She was a minor and has no liability for that, or right to sue on the school's behalf.
So, it's time for her to step up and run her own life, which is what she desires. Get a job, go to county college, do well, transfer to a state university and take out some loans. Then, have a successful life. Send a Christmas card to the parents ever year.

Old 03-05-2014, 02:24 PM

20,329 posts, read 19,921,823 times
Quote:
We've raised our now almost 19 y/o son to be ethical, hard working, disciplined, to be a manager of his life, so-to-speak.

We've also told him if he makes really f'd up decisions, don't EVEN try to blame it on where mom and dad went wrong, not enough beads in the baby crib and so on.

Old 03-05-2014, 02:30 PM

882 posts, read 1,670,606 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by ocnjgirl View Post
She's an honor student and cheerleader. I am glad the judge voted against her, but I think it's too easy to blame the parents. They must've done something right for her to be an honor student, but sometimes teens change, fall in with the wrong crowd (especially a boyfriend, as apparently is the case here) and it's not just about how they were brought up.
It doesn't take much to be an honors student.

Old 03-05-2014, 02:35 PM

607 posts, read 958,135 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by NJhighlands87 View Post
It doesn't take much to be an honors student.
she is carrying a 3.5 at a good school

academically, she earned the honor student description
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > New Jersey